Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front brake failure 2012 Ultra Limited, I am stumped!

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 01:42 PM
BigGelvis
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Front brake failure 2012 Ultra Limited, I am stumped!

I went to lunch a while ago, 2 miles down the road. Parked, went in to eat and leave 20 minutes later. I back the bike out of the parking spot and hit the front brake and NOTHING! It is stiff as a board and takes 5 seconds or more to bleed down enough to activate the front calipers.

I rode to the dealer on just the rear brake. The tech looked at it and told me he has never seen a brake problem like this before.

I am stumped, I have no idea what the problem could be!
We were suppose to go ride this weekend and now looks like I will be bikeless unless I can figure out what is wrong.

Any ideas? If I can't figure it out by 5pm, I am taking it to the dealer where it will sit for God knows how long!

Old 05-25-2012, 02:15 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 171 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by BigGelvis
I went to lunch a while ago, 2 miles down the road. Parked, went in to eat and leave 20 minutes later. I back the bike out of the parking spot and hit the front brake and NOTHING! It is stiff as a board and takes 5 seconds or more to bleed down enough to activate the front calipers.

I rode to the dealer on just the rear brake. The tech looked at it and told me he has never seen a brake problem like this before.

We were suppose to go ride this weekend and now looks like I will be bikeless unless I can figure out what is wrong.

Any ideas? If I can't figure it out by 5pm, I am taking it to the dealer where it will sit for God knows how long!
I'm not sure I understand your description. When you say "stiff as a board" do you mean the lever is firm? And then even though the lever is firm the brakes will not apply? And what do you mean by "bleeding down"?

If I'm understanding you correctly, it sounds like some mechanical interference. Possibly a seized piston(s) in the master cylinder or calipers.

Last edited by 2black1s; 05-25-2012 at 02:21 PM.
Old 05-25-2012, 02:16 PM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

and the HD Tech couldn't fix it????

Old 05-25-2012, 02:28 PM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 267 Likes on 226 Posts

About all it could be is some sort of restriction in the master cylinder or the line coming out of it before it splits to go to each individual front caliper. Most likely something blocking the outlet hole in the master cylinder that got in during assembly at the factory.

If I were you, I'd try to get it to a dealer that has a tech that isn't totally clueless unless a computer tells him what the problem is.

Old 05-25-2012, 02:29 PM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 267 Likes on 226 Posts

BTW, has the bike got ABS? If so, it could be something in that system too.

Old 05-25-2012, 03:20 PM
BigGelvis
Club Member

Without quoting all of you, let me try and answer all the questions.

Yes it has ABS.
When I say "Stiff as a board, I mean when I squeeze the lever, it does not move at first. If I keep a steady grip on the lever, it will slowing move but takes a lot of preasure to move it.
The front wheel rolls freely at all times. The brake calipers are both open and they both close and touch the rotor once the lever has moved enough.

The best way I can describe it is stiff. If I were riding and grab a handfull of front brake, It takes several seconds for the lever to move enough to activate the brakes. So basically there are no front brakes.

Old 05-25-2012, 03:23 PM
jimsflh
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It's a 2012, take it back and tell thim to fix the bitch pronto!

Old 05-25-2012, 04:30 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member

Without quoting all of you, let me try and answer all the questions.

Yes it has ABS.
When I say "Stiff as a board, I mean when I squeeze the lever, it does not move at first. If I keep a steady grip on the lever, it will slowing move but takes a lot of preasure to move it.
The front wheel rolls freely at all times. The brake calipers are both open and they both close and touch the rotor once the lever has moved enough.

The best way I can describe it is stiff. If I were riding and grab a handfull of front brake, It takes several seconds for the lever to move enough to activate the brakes. So basically there are no front brakes.
I've never heard of this problem either.

Like I said earlier, it has to be a mechanical issue with the lever or master cylinder. Or like jpooch00 said, a restriction in the hydraulic circuit.

One other possibility I can think of, since you have ABS, is a stuck solenoid/valve within the ABS Module.

Why don't you try removing the ABS fuse and see if it makes a difference. If it does then you've isolated the problem to either the ABS Module or a sensor and/or wiring to the Module. If it makes no difference then your back to square one - You won't be able to rule out the ABS Module because a valve could still stuck even without electrical current to it.

You've got to start trying to isolate the cause somewhere and removing the fuse is an easy first step.

Even though this is a warranty item, if it were my bike I'd be doing the troubleshooting and finding the cause before taking it in to the dealer for the warranty repair. You don't need them blindly searching all over your brand new bike.

Last edited by 2black1s; 05-25-2012 at 04:32 PM.
Old 05-25-2012, 06:24 PM
BigGelvis
Club Member

Originally Posted by 2black1s
I've never heard of this problem either.

Like I said earlier, it has to be a mechanical issue with the lever or master cylinder. Or like jpooch00 said, a restriction in the hydraulic circuit.

One other possibility I can think of, since you have ABS, is a stuck solenoid/valve within the ABS Module.

Why don't you try removing the ABS fuse and see if it makes a difference. If it does then you've isolated the problem to either the ABS Module or a sensor and/or wiring to the Module. If it makes no difference then your back to square one - You won't be able to rule out the ABS Module because a valve could still stuck even without electrical current to it.

You've got to start trying to isolate the cause somewhere and removing the fuse is an easy first step.

Even though this is a warranty item, if it were my bike I'd be doing the troubleshooting and finding the cause before taking it in to the dealer for the warranty repair. You don't need them blindly searching all over your brand new bike.
I pulled the ABS fuse, checked all the other fuses. I loaded the Stock map to the ECM with PV then reloaded another proven map. I checked all connections to the ECM. I checked for trouble codes.
I looked for leaks and even jacked up the front wheel and spun it to check for calipers rubbing.
Nothing, Nada! I have no clue.

I took it to the dealer and spoke with both the GM and the Service Manager. I explained the situation and they both tell me I am the first they have seen with a brake issue like this.
I asked them to make this a priority and they agreed they would. I also asked that if it needed parts, to pull the parts of a damn new bike on the showroom floor and let it sit and wait for parts, not me.
They are suppose to be on it as we speak and I hope to hear something tomorrow.

And get this! This is my second brake failure in 3 months.
I bought a brand new 2012 Ultra Limited for me and a brand new Dyna Superglide for the wife. Bought them beginning of March.
The Dyna had the front brake Master Cylinder go out the morning after I bought it! 15 miles on the damn thing!
Now the front brake on the limited it out. I am not too happy right now but I thank God the brake went out while it was parked and not while I was on the Interstate.
I ride 90% Interstate in my daily commute. The next ride after lunch would have been in rush hour traffic on I-45 in Houston. That could have turned out bad if you go to grab a handful brakes and they are not there!

It is what it is and I will update this post when they find out what the problem is.

Old 05-25-2012, 06:38 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member

I pulled the ABS fuse, checked all the other fuses. I loaded the Stock map to the ECM with PV then reloaded another proven map. I checked all connections to the ECM. I checked for trouble codes.
I looked for leaks and even jacked up the front wheel and spun it to check for calipers rubbing.
Nothing, Nada! I have no clue.

I took it to the dealer and spoke with both the GM and the Service Manager. I explained the situation and they both tell me I am the first they have seen with a brake issue like this.
I asked them to make this a priority and they agreed they would. I also asked that if it needed parts, to pull the parts of a damn new bike on the showroom floor and let it sit and wait for parts, not me.
They are suppose to be on it as we speak and I hope to hear something tomorrow.

And get this! This is my second brake failure in 3 months.
I bought a brand new 2012 Ultra Limited for me and a brand new Dyna Superglide for the wife. Bought them beginning of March.
The Dyna had the front brake Master Cylinder go out the morning after I bought it! 15 miles on the damn thing!
Now the front brake on the limited it out. I am not too happy right now but I thank God the brake went out while it was parked and not while I was on the Interstate.
I ride 90% Interstate in my daily commute. The next ride after lunch would have been in rush hour traffic on I-45 in Houston. That could have turned out bad if you go to grab a handful brakes and they are not there!

It is what it is and I will update this post when they find out what the problem is.

Good luck. Hope they do the troubleshooting in some methodical manner and get it back to you quickly. Although I've got to admit, never seeing this before, it could take some time.

Quick Reply: Front brake failure 2012 Ultra Limited, I am stumped!