Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front brake failure 2012 Ultra Limited, I am stumped!

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 06:29 PM
HOGNOT
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Subscribed......and now not feeling quite so bad about not having ABS on my '09. Fella I bought it from said he specifically ordered it without ABS and without the security system because he didn't trust Harley to know what it was doing with these advanced/complicated systems and he didn't want the headaches and expense that he was sure to come if they were installed. His position made sense to me at the time and being my first Harley I decided to accept it. But then I started reading the forums and have read mostly rave reviews by everyone with ABS and Security systems.

So, then I thought I was really missing out by not having ABS. I haven't felt that way about not having the security because I've read about and personally heard from owners of the nightmares caused by faulty security systems and dead fob batteries and being stranded out in the middle of nowhere, etc. Now, this thread has given me a glimmer of redemption over my decision to go with a non-ABS Ultra......even though that decision, I admit, was largley based on ignorance and gullibility.

Truly hope the OP gets some kind of satisfaction/retribution from Harley over this serious problem.

VR

Old 06-05-2012, 06:37 PM
TWIN CAM 96
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Have them replace the master cylinder & bleed the system if that doesn't work then have them replace the calipers & bleed the system that has to work that's all that's there unless it's in the brake lines!

Old 06-05-2012, 06:39 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by jpooch00
If it's made by Brembo, then it's Italian.
Brembo has had a Chinese manufacturing facility for a while now, just like everybody else. Don't know what parts come from there.

Old 06-05-2012, 06:42 PM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 267 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by HOGNOT
Subscribed......and now not feeling quite so bad about not having ABS on my '09. Fella I bought it from said he specifically ordered it without ABS and without the security system because he didn't trust Harley to know what it was doing with these advanced/complicated systems and he didn't want the headaches and expense that he was sure to come if they were installed. His position made sense to me at the time and being my first Harley I decided to accept it. But then I started reading the forums and have read mostly rave reviews by everyone with ABS and Security systems.

So, then I thought I was really missing out by not having ABS. I haven't felt that way about not having the security because I've read about and personally heard from owners of the nightmares caused by faulty security systems and dead fob batteries and being stranded out in the middle of nowhere, etc. Now, this thread has given me a glimmer of redemption over my decision to go with a non-ABS Ultra......even though that decision, I admit, was largley based on ignorance and gullibility.

Truly hope the OP gets some kind of satisfaction/retribution from Harley over this serious problem.

VR
That's exactly why, if I were buying a new Harley - which I'm not - I would have neither ABS nor security. I would not want anything on an already over-gimicked, electronics laden bike that could possibly disable either the engine or the brakes. There's already plenty of gadgets and googaws to fail on these bikes as it is, why pay more to add to that number?

Old 06-05-2012, 06:47 PM
HOGNOT
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jpooch00
That's exactly why, if I were buying a new Harley - which I'm not - I would have neither ABS nor security. I would not want anything on an already over-gimicked, electronics laden bike that could possibly disable either the engine or the brakes. There's already plenty of gadgets and googaws to fail on these bikes as it is, why pay more to add to that number?
Well said.

Old 06-05-2012, 06:56 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

Yep! Stuck valve in the modulator. ***** happens.

Old 06-05-2012, 08:51 PM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 769 Likes on 522 Posts

I too did not get the security system because intuitively I knew that a dead fob battery or losing the fob would turn me into a pedestrian. When I got my bike I read the security section of the owners manual out of curiosity and learned that the fob is not necessary to run the bike PROVIDED you have taken the time to put in a code (PIN of your choice) to the security system to activate the bike without the fob.

Provided you don't have the almost impossible double malfunction of your fob battery failing at the same time the security system fails, being stuck in the toolies with a dead fob is your own fault. READ THE BOOK. Save yourself expense and embarrassment.

Old 08-23-2012, 07:03 AM
Truedisk LLC
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm finding out your suppose to flush your system every 2 years completely, the brake fluid
will contaminate and thicken.

Old 08-23-2012, 08:14 AM
t059736
Road Captain
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

What I find interesting is how the service department described the problem on the work order.

Front brake "issue" sure sounds a lot different to me than front brake FAILURE.

But like many others have already stated on this thread - Don't ever accuse Harley Davidson of being HONEST.

Old 08-23-2012, 09:05 AM
Very High Plain Drifter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, in the interest of perspective, last year Harley-Davidson shipped 233,117 motorcycles (according to their Investor report). So far, we're looking at reports of what - two? (maybe) failures of the ABS module. What's 2 out 233,117 as a percentage?

And before anyone blames Brembo, note that they are one of (if not the) most respected brake system manufacturers on the Planet (certainly more so than Hayes Brake - Harley's former suppliers). Brembo make Ferrari and Lamborghini's brakes, fer chrissakes!

Not that the MoCo (or Brembo) are free of blame. Just that it's not cut-and-dried...

Quick Reply: Front brake failure 2012 Ultra Limited, I am stumped!