Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front brake failure 2012 Ultra Limited, I am stumped!

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 06:52 PM
BigGelvis
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2black1s
Good luck. Hope they do the troubleshooting in some methodical manner and get it back to you quickly. Although I've got to admit, never seeing this before, it could take some time.
Thanks, but I'm not holding my breath on getting it back soon.
And I tell ya what, I have had a lot of bikes and I have been riding all my life, I am 46. And I have never seen a problem like this either. I have had brake problems, lines, stuck pistons, leaks, shot master cylinders, ect. But never seen this before.
I know ABS systems in all vehicles have fail safes in place so the brake won't fail if the ABS fails. But I am thinking it has something to do with the ABS. And if so? That means something is horribly wrong with the Harley ABS design!
I hope I am wrong, I would rather it be the master cylinder than the ABS. Not sure I would ever feel safe again on that bike if it turns out to be something with the ABS.

Old 05-25-2012, 07:10 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 171 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by BigGelvis
Thanks, but I'm not holding my breath on getting it back soon.
And I tell ya what, I have had a lot of bikes and I have been riding all my life, I am 46. And I have never seen a problem like this either. I have had brake problems, lines, stuck pistons, leaks, shot master cylinders, ect. But never seen this before.
I know ABS systems in all vehicles have fail safes in place so the brake won't fail if the ABS fails. But I am thinking it has something to do with the ABS. And if so? That means something is horribly wrong with the Harley ABS design!
I hope I am wrong, I would rather it be the master cylinder than the ABS. Not sure I would ever feel safe again on that bike if it turns out to be something with the ABS.
I hear you. The worst thing now is you may never know the real cause. They may forgo the troubleshooting and just start replacing parts. And if it takes more than one part then you'll never know which it really was.

This following is just for information, not a dig at you for taking it in.

What I would have done next, after trying the fuse thing, is simply cracked the fitting at the ABS Module. Then tried to depress the lever and see if it freed up. If it did free up and fluid came out at the fitting, then that would tell you the master cylinder is working and the problem is downstream from there. If it didn't free up, then the problem would be in the master cylinder or the line from the master cylinder to the ABS Module.

Then just continue this process moving farther downstream each time until you find the problem.

Troubleshooting in this manner would assure that you could pinpoint the actual cause.

Old 05-25-2012, 07:31 PM
BigGelvis
Club Member

Originally Posted by 2black1s
I hear you. The worst thing now is you may never know the real cause. They may forgo the troubleshooting and just start replacing parts. And if it takes more than one part then you'll never know which it really was.

This following is just for information, not a dig at you for taking it in.

What I would have done next, after trying the fuse thing, is simply cracked the fitting at the ABS Module. Then tried to depress the lever and see if it freed up. If it did free up and fluid came out at the fitting, then that would tell you the master cylinder is working and the problem is downstream from there. If it didn't free up, then the problem would be in the master cylinder or the line from the master cylinder to the ABS Module.

Then just continue this process moving farther downstream each time until you find the problem.

Troubleshooting in this manner would assure that you could pinpoint the actual cause.
I hear ya but when it comes to brakes, especially bleeding brakes? I let someone who has more patients than me deal with it. I like to turn all my own wrenches but systems I do not fully understand is where I draw the line.
I don't know where the valve for the ABS is. There is a square bar under the fairing area that I thought was it but when I asked the service manager about it, he said it was somewhere else.
The last brake system I tried to bleed was a v-star 1100 for a buddy of mine. We replaced the entire system and I bled those damn brakes for 2 damn days and could not get it right. I bought a vacuum bleeder and tried for hours but could never get the air out. I suck at brakes, I hate them with a passion.........lol. Finally took the damn thing to a local shop and let him do it. Took him an hour!

He did tell me that they have A LOT of problems with the newer master cylinders and they replace a lot of them. He said they have a special set-up they use to test the master cylinders just for those problems.
I tend to believe him given that I have had it happen twice to me on two 2012 bikes.
I have no choice but to trust what they say at this point. I wish I had the tools and knowledge to tackle this my self but I don't.

Old 05-25-2012, 07:32 PM
Twrguy
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like a blockage in the MC or brake line between the MC and the ABS module. When I changed to braided brake lines I got familiar with how the system works on my 2011 RKC. You could have removed the brake line from the top of the ABS module held the line vertically then squeeze the brake handle. If it does not squeeze easily and fluid doesn't shoot immediately from the end of the line either the line or the MC is blocked. You could do the same at the MC just crack the banjo bolt at the MC if the brake handle doesn't go limp and fluid drips the MC is blocked.
OF COURSE,...NON OF THIS SHOULD BE DONE BY ANYONE WITHOUT A HD DIGITAL TECHNICIAN ON AN ABS SYSTEM.....at least that's what they will tell you at the dealership...??

Old 05-25-2012, 07:32 PM
BigGelvis
Club Member

oops, duplicate post

Old 05-25-2012, 07:50 PM
Zimbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Just a thought, brake line collapsing internally?

Old 05-26-2012, 03:26 PM
BigGelvis
Club Member

UPDATE:
The dealer swapped out the master cylinder with one off another bike. That did NOT solve the problem. They tell me they have to wait untill Tuesday now and call corporate for assistance if figuring it out.
Sounds to me like I was right and it is something in the ABS that is stuck.
Bottom line is I am back to riding the Dyna again till they figure it out.

I did some more searching on the internet and I can not find a single other problem like this anywhere. Leave it to me to be the first!

Old 05-26-2012, 06:19 PM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 267 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by BigGelvis
UPDATE:
The dealer swapped out the master cylinder with one off another bike. That did NOT solve the problem. They tell me they have to wait untill Tuesday now and call corporate for assistance if figuring it out.
Sounds to me like I was right and it is something in the ABS that is stuck.
Bottom line is I am back to riding the Dyna again till they figure it out.

I did some more searching on the internet and I can not find a single other problem like this anywhere. Leave it to me to be the first!
Well, at least you have a reliable backup bike. I keep thinking I might get a new dresser, but my little '94 Dyna just keeps goin' like the Energizer Bunny and I can work on it myself.

Essentially no electronics at all and no smog crap either. No hot-running motor or anything else I keep hearing about on the newer bikes. Just a little trouble free carb that never gives problems and I get 60+ MPG on regular gas. Came from the factory with a single gear drive cam so no tensioner & chain junk in there either.

Wishing you the best of luck figuring out what's up with your brakes.

Old 05-26-2012, 08:01 PM
dbell66253
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Subscribing, would like to know the outcome, best thing was to take it to the dealer, new bike plus safety issue.

Old 05-29-2012, 12:15 PM
BigGelvis
Club Member

Another UPDATE:
This is kinda of a half *** update. I just got a voice mail from the HD Dealer and he says they got with "HD Tech Services" and they had them do some "tests" on the ABS system.
He tells me the bike needs a new ABS module. HD says they are overnighting the part. I don't know what pt# or what "test" they did yet. I want to be better prepared before I call.

So I need some input from you guys who are more on the technically informed side of things. What is the ABS module? Is that just the electronics control box part of the ABS?
Is there not a separate part that contains the valves for the ABS? Seems to me this problem is a stuck valve. The brake is stick stuck open and stiff even with the key off and ABS not active.

I would like to get some input before I call the dealer. I am leaning towards telling them to yank every ABS component OFF the bike and replace it all!
What would you guys do at this point?

Quick Reply: Front brake failure 2012 Ultra Limited, I am stumped!