Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front brake failure 2012 Ultra Limited, I am stumped!

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 10:48 AM
DBLX
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

I know exactly what the issue is. It's the ABS module (HCU to be exact). How do I know? I just fixed my 09 SG w/ ABS. It's about a $700 fix from the dealer. I accomplished much cheaper! You will probably need the dealer to bleed if you perform yourself. The electronic module is about $450ish, and the Hydraulic control unit (HCU) is about $353ish new. It can be found used. Let me know if you need anymore data. Rumor has it that HD is monitoring due to the increased failures. I hope this helps.

Old 03-16-2013, 05:19 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

Great old threads never die. Alice, please!

Old 06-23-2014, 11:20 AM
arampgds
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default same issue on 2009 streetglide

I am having the same issue. I took it to the dealer and they told me it was the ABS system. They also told me that they hac to replace both the controller (40649-08) and the modulator (48343-09). they told me that the parts book shows them as seperate but Harley sells them as a package, meaning you can't buy one without the other. As anyone ever heard of this?
They also told me that I could not keep the old parts. They had to be turned in, so Harley can do some more research as to why it failed.
Dealer wants $1300 for parts and labor.

Old 06-23-2014, 02:45 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,633 Likes on 1,628 Posts

well after reading all this i'm glad i bought a bike with just cruise. there is enough other electronic crap on this thing as it is. my old pan and shovel have just six wires that run the whole bike.

Old 01-07-2016, 09:15 PM
ddward39
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS control module

2009 street glide.. The abs light is on and the rear brakes are hard.. Originally I thought the master cylinder or calipers were stuck but upon investigating I have discovered the fluid pressure is not passing through the abs distribution block.. I have pressure entering but none on the exit side to the rear caliper.. My question is how this abs block works or a helpful tip on the repair?? I also have the brake fuse is blowing with a dead short but plugging the ABS control module changes nothing..

Old 01-07-2016, 10:11 PM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 769 Likes on 522 Posts

This thread is pushing 4 years old, you did well to search. What you describe IS the failure mode that gets everyone's attention. The usual "alibi" is that the brake fluid wasn't changed every two years per the maintenance requirements and a valve in the ABS controller stuck. MY opinion is that the ABS controller is poorly designed. Most cars go for 10 years without brake fluid being changed and I NEVER heard of a hydraulic lock on any car. Unfortunately, with Harley this is no where near as rare as it should be and I have heard no rumors about a redesigned ABS system. If it were mine, I would take it to an indie and have the brakes re-plumbed without the ABS module or do it myself. BUT, let me say that I hate ABS, not only because of the described malfunction but also because it can't read road surface. Twice in mid summer I have had ABS (functioning as designed) take away my brakes on a wash board surface, each time during a gentle stop. I lucked out and the brakes returned in time to prevent me hitting the vehicle in front, but you never forget that feeling. I disabled the ABS and have been a happy guy ever since, no more surprises. I am almost 71 years old and never had ABS until 2000 and decided I still don't NEED it.

Until the ABS unit is redesigned I would not trust my life to it. As always, YOUR machine, your choice. As it is now, I think it is an expensive "snake" just waiting to bite. Replacing parts of the same design is just investing in the next failure.

Old 02-06-2016, 07:53 AM
DamifIknow
Road Warrior
Received 58 Likes on 55 Posts

My problem is same as others describe. Rock hard rear pedal. Dealer says master cylinder and after changing it says modulator. $800.00 bucks for all of it so far. Anyone get Harley to pay for it? Service bulletin? Pretty sure I'm out of warranty cuz I didnt buy bike new.

Old 02-07-2016, 07:28 AM
ultra_classic
Club Member
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Brake Fluid Flush Before it damages the internal components of the ABS HCU

Originally Posted by btsom
This thread is pushing 4 years old, you did well to search. What you describe IS the failure mode that gets everyone's attention. The usual "alibi" is that the brake fluid wasn't changed every two years per the maintenance requirements and a valve in the ABS controller stuck. MY opinion is that the ABS controller is poorly designed. Most cars go for 10 years without brake fluid being changed and I NEVER heard of a hydraulic lock on any car. Unfortunately, with Harley this is no where near as rare as it should be and I have heard no rumors about a redesigned ABS system. If it were mine, I would take it to an indie and have the brakes re-plumbed without the ABS module or do it myself. BUT, let me say that I hate ABS, not only because of the described malfunction but also because it can't read road surface. Twice in mid summer I have had ABS (functioning as designed) take away my brakes on a wash board surface, each time during a gentle stop. I lucked out and the brakes returned in time to prevent me hitting the vehicle in front, but you never forget that feeling. I disabled the ABS and have been a happy guy ever since, no more surprises. I am almost 71 years old and never had ABS until 2000 and decided I still don't NEED it.

Until the ABS unit is redesigned I would not trust my life to it. As always, YOUR machine, your choice. As it is now, I think it is an expensive "snake" just waiting to bite. Replacing parts of the same design is just investing in the next failure.

Well as you know brake fluid is hydroscopic [it can retain moisture] And as it retains moisture it can help corrode its components, and worse boil under hard braking. this is why race cars are bleed between races, most car makes are flushed every 2 years, some sooner some longer, I think most motorcycle companies like harley need to flush the system sooner in the maintenance plan. At my Auto shop we test the Moisture content and advise on flush or not every season, and brake service. 1% ok 2% recommend, 3% must have it.

when was the last time you flushed the brake fluid on your bike? when was the last time you read it in the manual?

It took the auto industry and car owners about 10 years to acknowledge the brake fluid exchange as a maintenance item, Not a repair only service, ABS is here to stay and will not go away any time soon.

i would think that the harley system could be flushed at home with out the scan tool, If you are not removing or replacing any parts, the reason you need the tool is to cycle the valves and solenoids in the HCU to release any trapped air bubbles [again only if the system was opened up for service]

Also the original issue of the front brake or rear brake going hard, Is it after pad replacement? If so it could be when the caliper pistons are pushed back in there bores the old dirty fluid behind the pistons could be pushed back into the HCU and cause a stuck valve later. It is best to open the bleeder while pushing the pistons back to get the black dirty fluid out, then top up the master with fresh fluid

Old 02-07-2016, 10:55 AM
The Dude
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Kinda hard to say the original posters brake problem was caused by poor maintenance and a moisture issue. The bike was brand new with only 1500 miles on it and it isnt like it was sitting for months and seized. It seized while he was stopped eating lunch. What says it cant seize as your riding it down a expressway?