Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

103 overheating

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 09:01 AM
steamprinter
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Agree

Originally Posted by Matt0987
It is my understanding that one should use the HD Dino oil 'til, a minimum, of the 1000 mile change to allow the engine to settle in.

I made sure I gave the HD factory oil a chance to do it's work before I put in Amsoil synthetic.

I did confirm that there was oil in the engine and tranny. It can be an item missed during assembly.

I would just ride it and make sure you maintain it as per factory recommendations. Keep excellant records in the event that you do end up with a problem. If you do have a problem... It is under warranty.

Otherwise, just enjoy it.
+1

Old 05-25-2012, 09:12 AM
brak4222
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's my recommended course of action:

If bike no work, take to H-D.
If H-D no fix, ask to speak to manager.
If H-D still no fix, contact H-D corporate and BBB.

Anything else you do will only complicate matters. There is no break-in period for a bike to run. The break-in is to ease the engine into normal operation.

Last edited by brak4222; 05-25-2012 at 09:15 AM.
Old 05-25-2012, 09:26 AM
aces25
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry for your troubles. The bike should not require any upgrades to run properly under expected operating conditions. If the dealer says it needs to do $2500 worth of parts and labor to get it run right, you need to find a different dealer.

With just over 2k on the clock in just under 2 months, my 2012 RK is running like clockwork. No stage 1.

Old 05-25-2012, 09:29 AM
av ultra
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Are you aware that there is a shifter on the bike, are you running down the freeway in first gear? if it "rattles" take it back, I have never heard of a dealer telling someone that to fix it you have to mod it-Im calling bs.

Old 05-25-2012, 09:40 AM
Maclugie
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What are you talking about?

Old 05-25-2012, 09:41 AM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by av ultra
Are you aware that there is a shifter on the bike, are you running down the freeway in first gear? if it "rattles" take it back, I have never heard of a dealer telling someone that to fix it you have to mod it-Im calling bs.
THERE'S A SHIFTER! That explains a lot of MY problems. That might explain why I can twist the throttle to 35MPH, then it cuts out to like 30MPH, then back to 35, 30, 35, 30, I thought that was how it was supposed to run .....

Old 05-25-2012, 09:42 AM
DresserDude
Road Warrior
Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

How about a 3 strikes you're out LEMON LAW!! Get a new one

Old 05-25-2012, 09:49 AM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 219 Likes on 167 Posts

Wow....rough crowd, let me guess you people are on the VTwin forum also?

Old 05-25-2012, 10:02 AM
Matt0987
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by av ultra
I have never heard of a dealer telling someone that to fix it you have to mod it-Im calling bs.
It is pretty common for owners to change their bikes to address percieved "problems". That is how we, often, convince ourselves into modifying our bikes. I, for one, did not like the heat from the cat and so addressed it.

I can understand how a dealer might suggest some modifications to address a percieved issue. My dealer, at one point, asked me if I had, or was ready for, a stage one modification. I told him I was not interested at the time.

I have read on this forum that a stage one would allow for better performance. That such modifications help the bike run quicker and cooler.

The cat might make someone unfamiliar with the heat a cat generates wonder if their bike is running too hot.

In an effort to avoid supporting an owner's concerns, - and still make a buck, which is why the dealer is in business after all, the dealer is not a "non-profit" or "not for profit" charity organization, -I can see a dealer suggesting a stage one modification. Which, from what I understand, is about the price suggested in the first installment of this thread.

If the owner has concerns about the bike I suggest he simply ride it in it's stock configuration for a few thousand miles until it melts into a pile of metal. Or, he feels comfortable it is not going to do so.

The owner has done what he needs to. He had a concern. He brought it to the attention of the dealership. His concerns have been recorded. He, theoretically, has a record of his efforts in the form of a copy of the report taken by the service tech. He has, hopefully, made notes to support his concerns for future reference.

Now he just needs to ride the bike.

Old 05-25-2012, 10:03 AM
Zakk13
Stellar HDF Member
Received 660 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt0987
It is my understanding that one should use the HD Dino oil 'til, a minimum, of the 1000 mile change to allow the engine to settle in.

I made sure I gave the HD factory oil a chance to do it's work before I put in Amsoil synthetic.

I did confirm that there was oil in the engine and tranny. It can be an item missed during assembly.

I would just ride it and make sure you maintain it as per factory recommendations. Keep excellant records in the event that you do end up with a problem. If you do have a problem... It is under warranty.

Otherwise, just enjoy it.
Most bikes are broken in by 200 miles! I changed my oil from the junk factory Harley oil to Moble 1 V twin @ 500 Miles! I have no problems and my bike runs alittle cooler! As for the OP i would take it to another dealer! No way the engine from any bike especially a friggin new bike should be running like that ! Demand them to fix or replace while its still under warranty!!!

Quick Reply: 103 overheating