Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vance & Hines sound question

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 07:50 PM
clembo
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Vance & Hines sound question

Guys - This may sound like a crazy request but I thought some of you may have a similar experience. I have a 2011 RKC that I recently had the Cat taken out, put on V&H Header pipes, race tuner, and V&H Twin Slash Slip-Ons. The results are very good, cooler engine, better low end power, and great sound. I actually think the sound is a bit too much. I am thinking of putting in the quiet baffles that V&H makes for the pipes.

My question is - has anyone done this? What amount do the baffles reduce the sound - 20% ish? I know that this is very subjective but I was just wondering what you thought.

Old 05-22-2012, 08:01 PM
DeneFXDWG
Road Warrior
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

I actually phoned V&H this morning with the same issue. I have Rush true duals and Fuel Moto Jackpots for which FM doesn't make a quiet baffle or even a 1.75" baffle compatible for true duals. V&H said it's simple... go with their Monster line of mufflers to get a normal operating db. I forgot to ask the tech what sized baffles they come with because I was told not to go bigger than 2" with true duals or you'd lose your bottom end.

Old 05-22-2012, 08:02 PM
papifun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

put back your stock slip ons first... i heard V&H true duals with stock slip-ons.. not that bad..

Old 05-22-2012, 09:02 PM
badcat222
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just ordered the quiet baffles for my twin slash rounds. Just wanted to tone them down a touch. As I understand it, they will bring the decibels down 20% to 25%. Maybe make them a little more radio friendly.

Old 05-22-2012, 09:56 PM
RK Joy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I put V&H Big Shot Staggered on my Deuce. I found the sound a bit much for my taste. There was too much ear-splitting, high-pitched sound and it was tiring at distance. I pulled the baffles and installed the V&H "quiet baffles". The quiet baffles did not offer restriction by volume or cross-sectional area, but by re-channeling the path of the exhaust gases. Well, it worked great and gave me the sound quality and volume I was looking for. I ran the setup until I traded the bike in on my current RK.

Old 05-22-2012, 10:46 PM
FtpdMoose
Cruiser

Just put the Twin Slash Monster ovals on mine and absolutely love it.

Old 05-22-2012, 11:19 PM
steelpony5555
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just turn the radio up...huh what you say huh????

Old 05-23-2012, 07:21 AM
wayne0832
1st Gear

I have the same setup. 2011 RKC with V&H true duals, twin slash rounds, and PCV. I thought about the baffles, but heard they were of little help. I installed the auto tuner because i didn't get the numbers on the dyno I expected. To my surprize, the sound totally mellowed out. Loud when I get on it, but smooth when when I want it to be. My header pipes have the small 02 bungs, so I had to plug and have the larger bungs welded in, but my mpg went from 27 to 37 and I'm heavy on the throttle.

Old 05-23-2012, 01:18 PM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by papifun
put back your stock slip ons first... i heard V&H true duals with stock slip-ons.. not that bad..
Ditto...

That's how I'm running my bike right now in fact (except with Power Duals) and the sound is noticeably deeper in tone but not loud. It's an improvement for those not wanting loud but dont want whisper quiet either.

I'm still looking into going to a slip-on like the Monster Ovals or FatShotz, or something similar with just bit deeper sound but at this point it's a fair enough improvement that I'm not in a big hurry to find another set of mufflers. Some day when I find the right ones I will try them, but the stock mufflers with Power Duals is an improvement.

Old 05-23-2012, 01:21 PM
DresserDude
Road Warrior
Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

I only went with the monster ovals, but I really like the sound. My obnoxiously loud days are over.

Quick Reply: Vance & Hines sound question