Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 FLHT Fuel gauge

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 04:43 PM
cgrnh
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 FLHT Fuel gauge

Hello All,

I am new to this forum and wanted too say hello from NH.

I just picked up a 2001 Flht Electraglide, this is my first touring bike. I traded in my 04 RK custom for it. I know I went back 3 years, but the Electra glide has a Carb, oh how I have missed a carb. I started my harley riding with a 1976 Sporty 1000 which i completly tore down in the winter and redid. Then graduated too a 1980 FXE which I did the same thing too. Still have the FXE but sold the Sporty, I then moved on up too the Road King, and Sunday I fell in love with the ELectraGlide I ended up bringing home.

I noticed that the fuel gauge bounces around alot, did not know if this is a common problem or if there is an inexpensive fix for it. I know inexpensive and HD do not go together.

Thank You all in advance,
Chris

Old 05-21-2012, 11:18 PM
mtgriz
Road Warrior
Received 224 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by cgrnh
Hello All,

I am new to this forum and wanted too say hello from NH.

I just picked up a 2001 Flht Electraglide, this is my first touring bike. I traded in my 04 RK custom for it. I know I went back 3 years, but the Electra glide has a Carb, oh how I have missed a carb. I started my harley riding with a 1976 Sporty 1000 which i completly tore down in the winter and redid. Then graduated too a 1980 FXE which I did the same thing too. Still have the FXE but sold the Sporty, I then moved on up too the Road King, and Sunday I fell in love with the ELectraGlide I ended up bringing home.

I noticed that the fuel gauge bounces around alot, did not know if this is a common problem or if there is an inexpensive fix for it. I know inexpensive and HD do not go together.

Thank You all in advance,
Chris
Probably fuel sender unit in tank. My '01 FLHT had the same symptom and as I recall local mechanic said a new sending unit was about, and I mean about, $160. Sounds like you have the skills to do this job yourself. I never got around to fixing mine.

Old 05-22-2012, 02:03 PM
cgrnh
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you MtGriz,
I had a feeling that might be the case. I wasnt sure and wanted too make sure. I do have the skills for that. I do most of my own maintenance. I have trust issues with most mechanics.

Chris