Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stereo cuts out. Help me figure this out.

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 11:50 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Stereo cuts out. Help me figure this out.

I've upgraded my sound system. Put in a 500w 4 channel JM amp. 4 Polk audio marine speakers. A pair of 6.5" in the dash and a pair of 6x9's in the saddle bag lids.

After hooking everything up according to the manufactruers specs, and using their cables the system sounded great. But, after cranking the volume to a bit over half the system would shut down after about 5 or 10 minutes.

I described the problem to JM and they replaced the Amp. Today I reinstalled the new one checked everything. After about 20 minutes on the road it cut out. Same problem.

While I had it open I put an ohm meter on each pair of speaker wire pairs and measured exactly 2.7 ohms per channel. I don't think there is anything wrong with the wiring or speakers. They sound great when they're playing.

So here's what I'm thinking.
- Maybe the head unit is screwed. Although it has always worked perfectly before I added the amp.
- Maybe the Amp isn't compatible with 2.7 ohm speakers.
- Maybe the remote wire is cutting power to the amp. Is that even possible?

I can't see the Amp, it's under the fairing. When I got home tonight it was still cut out, i was going to quickly pull the fairing and trouble shoot it, but just as I put the bike on the side stand the music cut in again.

What's going on? Give me some ideas.

Old 05-20-2012, 11:56 PM
mtgriz
Road Warrior
Received 224 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by zeus33
I've upgraded my sound system. Put in a 500w 4 channel JM amp. 4 Polk audio marine speakers. A pair of 6.5" in the dash and a pair of 6x9's in the saddle bag lids.

After hooking everything up according to the manufactruers specs, and using their cables the system sounded great. But, after cranking the volume to a bit over half the system would shut down after about 5 or 10 minutes.

I described the problem to JM and they replaced the Amp. Today I reinstalled the new one checked everything. After about 20 minutes on the road it cut out. Same problem.

While I had it open I put an ohm meter on each pair of speaker wire pairs and measured exactly 2.7 ohms per channel. I don't think there is anything wrong with the wiring or speakers. They sound great when they're playing.

So here's what I'm thinking.
- Maybe the head unit is screwed. Although it has always worked perfectly before I added the amp.
- Maybe the Amp isn't compatible with 2.7 ohm speakers.
- Maybe the remote wire is cutting power to the amp. Is that even possible?

I can't see the Amp, it's under the fairing. When I got home tonight it was still cut out, i was going to quickly pull the fairing and trouble shoot it, but just as I put the bike on the side stand the music cut in again.

What's going on? Give me some ideas.
Sounds like you're already looking at it, but that remote wire (typically blue) that goes to a switched power source that turns the amp off and on would be the first place I'd look. Make sure it isn't making an intermittent connection.

Old 05-21-2012, 01:47 AM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Originally Posted by mtgriz
Sounds like you're already looking at it, but that remote wire (typically blue) that goes to a switched power source that turns the amp off and on would be the first place I'd look. Make sure it isn't making an intermittent connection.
How would one go about checking that wire? It appears to be okay. The connections are good.

Old 05-21-2012, 02:17 AM
Born2cure
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try this. If when the sound goes off hit the speaker switch on the fairing, toggle up or down, or turn off then back on. If this is it it will stay on few min maybe several then off again toggle again. If so head unit. Had same problem after installing amp. Had to pull and send to iron cross, did excellent job couple of months no problem. Also had aux port put in back of unit. Hope it works out.

Old 05-21-2012, 07:02 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

If your using the HK head unit,those have been known to cut out.
My Road glide was doing the same thing with a ARC amp.Never did confirm if it was the amp or HK unit.

Did you ask if the amp will work with 2.7 speakers?

Old 05-21-2012, 07:03 AM
brandss
Road Captain
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts

I had this exact problem. Was about to return my amp for a new one. Look at where your ground is for your amp and make sure you scrape any paint where the ground hits the frame. Even as I was scraping on my bike, I thought, this is going to help. Bingo, that was the trick. Not another problem since.

Old 05-21-2012, 08:02 AM
hardskull
Intermediate
Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Had the exact problem. Ended up on last Sturgis trip with NO radio.. Trying the speaker selector switch will help, but didn't last. Ended up being a head unit. Replaced twice!
I still have issues I think with that big plug of wires behind the radio, try wiggling it up or down and see if it comes back on. Good luck!

Old 05-21-2012, 11:35 AM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Originally Posted by Born2cure
Try this. If when the sound goes off hit the speaker switch on the fairing, toggle up or down, or turn off then back on. If this is it it will stay on few min maybe several then off again toggle again. If so head unit. Had same problem after installing amp. Had to pull and send to iron cross, did excellent job couple of months no problem. Also had aux port put in back of unit. Hope it works out.
Ok, that will be a good test. I'll try that today.

Originally Posted by 1flhtk4me
If your using the HK head unit,those have been known to cut out.
My Road glide was doing the same thing with a ARC amp.Never did confirm if it was the amp or HK unit.

Did you ask if the amp will work with 2.7 speakers?
yep, I asked about my specific speakers and then confirmed it is compatible. The specs even say, 2 ohm or 4 ohm speakers. I was thinking if it was the speakers I could put a power resister inline or something to add a bit more resistance, or in parallel to reduce it. What ever, I'll do anything.

Originally Posted by brandss
I had this exact problem. Was about to return my amp for a new one. Look at where your ground is for your amp and make sure you scrape any paint where the ground hits the frame. Even as I was scraping on my bike, I thought, this is going to help. Bingo, that was the trick. Not another problem since.
I don't think this is the problem in my case. The amp comes with a power cable, red and black. I removed the tank and ran them in the cable tray back to the battery. Both leads are bolted right to the battery terminals. So I think the power it good.

Originally Posted by hardskull
Had the exact problem. Ended up on last Sturgis trip with NO radio.. Trying the speaker selector switch will help, but didn't last. Ended up being a head unit. Replaced twice!
I still have issues I think with that big plug of wires behind the radio, try wiggling it up or down and see if it comes back on. Good luck!
I am going to try the rocker switch thing today. Regarding the plug on the back of the head unit... I have the XM module as well so I had to buy the second wiring harness that plugs into the second plug on the back of the head unit. So now, with the extra wiring harness and the extra wiring from the amp and the reduced space from the amp bracket it is really tight back there. I don't think the plug is loose but I guess I'm not ruling it out either. It's a good idea though and I'll look at this next time I have it apart.

Old 05-21-2012, 02:34 PM
longrideshields-1
Premium Sponsor
Received 86 Likes on 50 Posts

+1 on checking ground. Also check the amp and make sure it's not overheating for some strange reason

General Inquiries:
Info@LongRideShields.com
Sales and Marketing:
Sales@LongRideShields.com
Phone:

Old 05-21-2012, 02:46 PM
SG Mike
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know this is a stupid question but are you running the front and back speakers on different channels?

Quick Reply: Stereo cuts out. Help me figure this out.