Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed Phase 7 LED headlamp and passing lamps

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 07:04 PM
sixty4nhalf
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This was my first add on to the `12 EG U/L, I got all 3 lights as well for $433. Next I want to get the BAL for the rear, any places you know of have a great deal going on??

Old 08-12-2012, 08:46 PM
ratdoc
Tourer

Originally Posted by sixty4nhalf
This was my first add on to the `12 EG U/L, I got all 3 lights as well for $433. Next I want to get the BAL for the rear, any places you know of have a great deal going on??

I'm really trying to decide about these lights. Do you have any thoughts on the daytime visibility of the Phase 7s?

Old 08-12-2012, 10:15 PM
troop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

I'm actually using some brighter yellow bulbs in my passing/spots now for visibility. Although not as bright as the LED's, they are a big contrast in color. They do work good at night but seeing two different types of lighting up front helps make me more visible both during daylight and darkness ...

Old 08-12-2012, 10:38 PM
ratdoc
Tourer

Originally Posted by troop
I'm actually using some brighter yellow bulbs in my passing/spots now for visibility. Although not as bright as the LED's, they are a big contrast in color. They do work good at night but seeing two different types of lighting up front helps make me more visible both during daylight and darkness ...
Yeah, that's a great idea. I might try that.

Old 08-13-2012, 12:40 AM
Uncle Paul
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Phase 7's do not provide nearly as much daytime visability as the stock Harley units do. They focus the light much better for night time riding, but during the day they do not light up once you are a bit off angle.

On the other hand, for night time riding they are twice as bright as the stock Harleys, with much broader illumination of the road.

Old 08-13-2012, 05:15 PM
ratdoc
Tourer

Originally Posted by Uncle Paul
Phase 7's do not provide nearly as much daytime visability as the stock Harley units do. They focus the light much better for night time riding, but during the day they do not light up once you are a bit off angle.

On the other hand, for night time riding they are twice as bright as the stock Harleys, with much broader illumination of the road.
Got it. Thanks for the info. Strange how they can have a broader illumination of the road, but not be seen from an angle. Anyway, nighttime riding might trump daytime visibility this time. My eyes are getting old.

Old 08-13-2012, 06:11 PM
LDB415
Road Captain

Originally Posted by troop
seeing two different types of lighting up front helps make me more visible both during daylight and darkness ...
That's a very good point I hadn't thought of. I'm going to rethink and maybe just do the headlight and find hopefully brighter but less expensive side lights.

Old 08-13-2012, 06:20 PM
Uncle Paul
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

interesting that these new lights...

Give out so much more light than stock,
Are not as bright when viewed on an angle,
Really distinguish your bike when riding with a group as they are much whiter,
Give a cool dark look to bikes when turned off.

For my old eyes they are a real blessing.

Old 08-13-2012, 07:06 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

We saw these last week in the Kuryakyn tent at Black Hills Harley Davidson. Standing straight up in front of them about 20 feet, they were noticeable but not bright. The sales rep then said, "Kneel down and look at them." They were absolutely blinding down by the ground, causing spots in the eyes. That's the light that is hitting the road, not the oncoming drivers.

I was impressed as heck. Someone asked earlier about expected life....30,000 hours was posted on the display at Sturgis. At 60 mph, thats 1.8 million miles !

The light rings around the nacelles was very eye catching as well.

Edit: They were quoting 300 for the headlight, 250 a pair for the spots, and I believe 100 each for the the light rings.

Last edited by MNPGRider; 08-13-2012 at 07:15 PM.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:27 PM
ratdoc
Tourer

Originally Posted by MNPGRider
We saw these last week in the Kuryakyn tent at Black Hills Harley Davidson. Standing straight up in front of them about 20 feet, they were noticeable but not bright. The sales rep then said, "Kneel down and look at them." They were absolutely blinding down by the ground, causing spots in the eyes. That's the light that is hitting the road, not the oncoming drivers.

I was impressed as heck. Someone asked earlier about expected life....30,000 hours was posted on the display at Sturgis. At 60 mph, thats 1.8 million miles !

The light rings around the nacelles was very eye catching as well.

Edit: They were quoting 300 for the headlight, 250 a pair for the spots, and I believe 100 each for the the light rings.
I used your tip from before and just ordered all three lights from DFS for $389. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Installed Phase 7 LED headlamp and passing lamps