Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil pressure....What's up with this?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 03:29 PM
ramprat
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil pressure....What's up with this?

What would make the oil pressure run 4-5# higher than the 32# normal pressure at startup? After a 275 mile run yesterday, I drove in the garage, switched it off, the pressure was right at 32# and the normal valve tick was present. Nothing out of the normal. Cranked it this morning, to drive to church, and the top end sounded like it was coming apart! This has happened several times before and has been addressed here in previous posts. The difference I saw today was the oil pressure was running 36-38# all the way to church, approximately 5 miles and I could still here the rattling (not pinging) running at speed. Forgot to check the press on the way home. Parked in the yard for a couple of hours and cranked it to move it to the garage and the press was dead on 32# and quiet as a church mouse, no unusual noise from the top side. Could this be a random partial blockage in the oil circuit causing inadequate lubrication to the top end on startup and the culprit of all my prior rattling noise on startup? Engine is an 09 96TC with Mobile1 Twin V fully syn 20w-50 with a Harley filter. Bike has 35,500 miles and oil was changed at 35,160. Have also used K&N filters. Maybe I’ll take a look at the oil circuit in the SM. Any gearheads have any thoughts on this? Thanks in advance.
Ramprat