Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Brake - after switch replaced.

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 09:26 PM
KutenFLHX
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Rebleed the brakes. I had to have that done on mine after the switch replacement.

Old 05-21-2012, 10:06 PM
baldheadjim
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rickr01
I purchased the switch and replaced it myself. Bled the brakes and all is just fine. Purchase a set of speed Bleeders and install them at the same time you change the switch. Makes it a snap to bleed and change brake fluid. Yes mine is ABS also.
Great forum. I'm having problem with rear brake switch on 2008 FLSTC. Im going to perform work myself because local dealer says its more than a month wait for service appointment. Need to know a few things

1. size and type of wrench for rear brake switch
2. how to wiggle a wrench into that tight space
3. part number for that speedbleeder

Old 05-22-2012, 02:40 PM
Nute
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Update to original post.

Yesterday had to remove seat for another reason and discovered the left side cover was missing. All the electronics exposed to the elements. Mechanic had forgotten to put it back on. Good thing dealer wasn't open yesterday. I had even walked around the bike looking for scratches etc. (past experience) and never noticed the missing cover when I picked up the bike. Went to dealer to see about cover and as luck would have it was still there in one piece with no scratches.

Was informed I would have to come back to have the brakes bled again, but "no charge". Brake is soft kind of spongee. Not so sure I want to take a chance. Bit of a conumdrum one might say.

Old 05-22-2012, 02:49 PM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Nute
Yesterday had to remove seat for another reason and discovered the left side cover was missing. All the electronics exposed to the elements. Mechanic had forgotten to put it back on. Good thing dealer wasn't open yesterday. I had even walked around the bike looking for scratches etc. (past experience) and never noticed the missing cover when I picked up the bike. Went to dealer to see about cover and as luck would have it was still there in one piece with no scratches.

Was informed I would have to come back to have the brakes bled again, but "no charge". Brake is soft kind of spongee. Not so sure I want to take a chance. Bit of a conumdrum one might say.
Nute, sorry, I gotta ask. You were walking around the bike looking for scratches etc. (past experience) and never noticed the missing cover? I'm thinking that would be a pretty obvious omission on the bike? If you missed that, you surely didn't find anything as minute as a scratch! I'm not sure though how many guys would have fessed up to that story, good for you!

Old 05-22-2012, 02:57 PM
103 sedona orange
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 220 Likes on 192 Posts

Take it back!!

Old 05-22-2012, 06:53 PM
Cruiser

I changed to the V&H Power Duals that sit further away from the switch. I also took a strip of 1200 degree heat reflective tape and zip tied it around the switch and wires. I don't see any signs of heat damage on the plasitc zip ties, so I'm going to leave it alone for now.

Old 05-23-2012, 11:21 AM
flipbel
Tourer

Originally Posted by Nute
Took the 09 UC in to have the back brake switch replaced. Now when use the back brake the pedal feels soft and sometimes it feels like the brake doesn't come on. Dealer says he bled brake with computer and everything is fine. I should mention these are ABS brakes. Im not getting any warning lights or codes. Any suggestions. i really hate taking bike into dealer.
I had the same feeling on my 09 egc after the switch was changed but after a few days It got back to normal. It is doing fine.

Old 06-06-2012, 04:45 PM
Rickr01
Club Member
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Lowcountry Joe
Rick...did you see any air bubbles come out during the bleed?

Wow sorry! I don't know how I missed your post question. If its still unanswered, my answer is I didn't see any. I was also using a little hose and bag kit that I ordered along with my speed bleeders so they would have been difficult to see anyway. What I did was to use this as an opportunity to run all new fluid through the rear brake system. The ABS Brakes work just fine.

Old 06-06-2012, 06:30 PM
Chief40al
Road Captain

Had mine done on Monday, no problems

Old 06-06-2012, 06:42 PM
Gliden
Club Member
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

It will take you about 30 seconds to fix this.
Get a hose on that rear caliper nipple.
Step on rear brake pedal.
While stepping down reach back and crack open that blessed nipple ever so slightly and monitor how much down you push the rear pedal. Stop 2/3 way down.
While still applying brake pressure close the nipple and after closing the nipple let the brake pedal up.

Repeat steps about 3 times.
Wammo.....full pedal.

Quick Reply: Rear Brake - after switch replaced.