Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Saddle bag latches

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 08:54 AM
14longshot
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Saddle bag latches

My saddle bag latches don't stay latched or down they pop out and once the lid actually opened up after a road heave. I started locking them but that is a pain.

I know other people don't seem to have this problem or if any thing once in a while the latch pops out but that is it.

Is there a way to adjust them or do I have to keep locking them.

Old 05-20-2012, 09:31 AM
HTNHARD
Tourer

Open your latch. On the bag part of the latch you'll see two prongs that hold the rod(piano hinge) when the latch is close. Take a screwdriver and pry the little tabs up a little so when the latch closes there's more tensionsion on the hinge. Hope that makes sence. Good luck!

Old 05-20-2012, 10:46 AM
Kilroykarr
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On mine the cloth strap that stops the lid from going all the way over gets caught in the lid sometimes when try to close it. Try that, i bet that's whats going on.

Old 05-20-2012, 10:52 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 75,083 Likes on 22,574 Posts

Bending the tabs in a couple spots seems to help too according to some.
I like the securty of locking mine though.. too.

Old 05-20-2012, 10:55 AM
HarleyBT
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

More than likely the little spring on the hinge is broken. It is only about an inch and half long and under the cloth flap. Do a search on here and you will find a shitload of help in replacing the springs. They are less than $2 a piece at MoCo and with the help on here can be changed out in less than 30 minutes. Good luck.

Old 05-20-2012, 10:58 AM
Chadw00
Intermediate

Check the springs also. One of mine was broken, big differance after I repleced mine.

Old 05-20-2012, 11:04 AM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Make sure you are closing them properly. If the tabs on the lids are not pushed under the catches on the bags all the way, when you close the hinge it will feel mushy and close with a dull thud sound, if you get any sound at all. If you do it properly the hinge will snap shut with a clean slapping sound. Hard to explain. Intentionally do it wrong and listen to it and feel it, then make sure you do it right and check out the difference. If not shut properly, they will pop open.

Old 05-20-2012, 12:04 PM
glenalt
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I read about it happening a couple years ago and started locking mine. No problems.

Old 05-20-2012, 12:09 PM
rocknrod
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I thought had that problem once. Swore up and down that nothing was getting in the way of the lid closing. It was the material tether (lid to bag) that was getting in the way.

Old 05-20-2012, 02:38 PM
14longshot
Advanced

I know what you guys are talking about with the fabric being in the way and not having the lid in the back holders properly. I can tell when I get it correct because they snap shut.

Was thinking of having to bend the tabs but was hoping some thing more mechanical. I will check the springs.

What is this search you speak of, I'll be a man and tear it apart, take twice as long probably brake some thing then come and do a search and find the easy and correct way.

Quick Reply: Saddle bag latches