Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SE Slip-ons not loud enough...

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 07:50 PM
ictdog
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SE Slip-ons not loud enough...

I bought my 2007 Ultra Classic and the previous owner installed Screaming Eagle slip-ons but my wife and I don't think they sound as good as my old EG's non-baffled pipes...

Can the SE's baffles be removed? I have them off and was looking at them...seems to be a very tight fit. End cap bolts are removed but the baffles won't budge. The are slash cuts so just turning them up and pounding wont work.

Any ideas short of buying new slip-ons???

Old 05-19-2012, 09:49 PM
RK Joy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i don't know what to suggest other than replacement. I actually went to the dealer to buy SE slip-ons and the counter guy insisted that I would not be happy with the 50-state legal, 2db louder mufflers. He talked me into Drag Specialties Pythons which were also stocked at the dealer and somewhat less expensive. I bought them and they actually turned out to be a good choice. They are sure louder but not tiring on long rides and have that head-turning Harley sound. They also have removable baffles and a quieter baffle as well as a performance baffle. I like them.

Old 05-20-2012, 09:57 AM
tlsmith22
Advanced

I just bought a 2007 RKC that had the SE slip ons on it as well. Like you, I found it too quiet. I drilled out the 3 rivets near the end of the pipe and the baffle actually came out quite easily. If U look at the baffles and and how the flow goes thru them, it is obvious what u need to do to open them up a little bit. I drilled several 1/2 inch holes in these locations. It for sure made it louder with a better sound while maintaining full power. Now it is not baffles removed louder but it is several dbs louder. I had some rivets and rerivetted the baffles back in place and was good to go.

Old 05-20-2012, 06:48 PM
hdmike
Advanced

Hey guys,
I have to ask, what model SE slip-on's are you running? I am looking for something quieter than my Rinehart TD, been thinking about Nightsticks, or Fatshotz.

Old 05-20-2012, 07:08 PM
ictdog
Intermediate

Originally Posted by hdmike
Hey guys,
I have to ask, what model SE slip-on's are you running? I am looking for something quieter than my Rinehart TD, been thinking about Nightsticks, or Fatshotz.
Mine have a product number of 80506-07 that according to the vast forum knowledge are Screaming Eagles and are a tad bit louder than stock, but nothing like the V&H's Rineharts, etc...

Old 05-20-2012, 07:11 PM
ictdog
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tlsmith22
I just bought a 2007 RKC that had the SE slip ons on it as well. Like you, I found it too quiet. I drilled out the 3 rivets near the end of the pipe and the baffle actually came out quite easily. If U look at the baffles and and how the flow goes thru them, it is obvious what u need to do to open them up a little bit. I drilled several 1/2 inch holes in these locations. It for sure made it louder with a better sound while maintaining full power. Now it is not baffles removed louder but it is several dbs louder. I had some rivets and rerivetted the baffles back in place and was good to go.
tlsmith22 - Did you happen to have pictures of your mods? I am curious because I cannot see any rivets in the end caps on mine...