Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are your thoughts on dumping the HD stereo

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 02:26 PM
Splais1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are your thoughts on dumping the HD stereo

I just bought a 2006 Street Glide that does not have a warrenty. I'm getting an extended warrenty but that will not help me. The display on my stock radio has gone out, radio works fine and backlight comes on, just no display.
the local dealer says it will cost around $300 to get it fixed. I've read enough to get the impression the stock radio isn't worth much.

How many of you have changed out the radio and what did you get at what cost? If I did change would want it to be a plug-n-play unit. thanks.

Old 05-18-2012, 02:33 PM
piesik650
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hawg wired universal kit $240 from dragos bike works
Sony Dsx 200 media player with tune tray $100
and from there it's endless the distance you can go. I have 8 speakers 8 channels and 2 amps. so the question is what's your price range.

Old 05-18-2012, 03:01 PM
PWFD
Road Master

I might be an odd one but I am very happy with the stock radio in my Harley. For $300 i personally would get it fixed I have the upgraded boom speaker front and back and never can I not hear my radio. It's clean and clear.

T

Old 05-18-2012, 03:08 PM
Stang951
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Why are you going through the dealership if you don't have a warranty. Check out Iron Cross Audio (I believe that they are sponsors). May cost the same as the dealer, but from what I hear they fix it correctly the first time and warranty their work.

I am happy with my HK head unit, and like that I can integrate the cb, ipod and other devices.

Old 05-18-2012, 03:17 PM
shooter5074
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: Western Illinois, land of bad roads, and corrupt politicians
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by PWFD
I might be an odd one but I am very happy with the stock radio in my Harley. For $300 i personally would get it fixed I have the upgraded boom speaker front and back and never can I not hear my radio. It's clean and clear.

T
+1 I have the stock radio and Boom speakers. I rarely have to turn the volume up past the "O" or "L" under volume.

A good windshield, and stock exhaust probably helps.

Old 05-18-2012, 03:55 PM
Sadist112
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I opted to sell my stock harley radio on ebay two years ago ended up getting 500 bucks. Crazy I know for a garbage radio lol. Anyway I got the biketronics kit and a sony marine radio. It has been the best thing I put on my bike etc the thundermax. The sony has a usb port. So I ran a 5ft usb extension under the tank and into my streetglide bag, and have a 16gb usb drive connected to it. Unlimited music, and the radio responds faster than a cd player so its super quick. I would strongly recommend not wastin your money fixing that outdated radio!

Old 05-18-2012, 04:03 PM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

To fix the HK radio: http://www.ironcrossaudio.com/

To change out the radio: http://www.biketronics.com/ or http://hawg-wired.com/
If you change out your radio make sure you get the kit that makes the handle bar buttons still usuable.

Old 05-18-2012, 05:10 PM
Timmy B
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: 12 year, Colombia, 4 years Mexico, currently In Kuwait, but Boston is HOME!!
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

IF your tunes are not working right dump them, I cant give good or bad feedback on the warrentee, but if you have the cash there are plenty of options out there. You can get lots of good advice but have to ask the right questions once your research has begun, you will know what you want and what is out of your reach A far as price.
I went with bagger nation and rockford fosgate. I bought some stuff on line and some on ebay, to save money. I have not hooked it up yet and will not till june when I arrive home. But it will be Christmas in late june when I get home and all the stuff is waiting.
Dragon fly has everything you'll need to get you rocking since you need to replace the head unit. Or get it fixed with iron cross audio. IMO go for new stuff and speakers. You will be happier. A half *** substitute for the real thing will not give you what you want in the long run.

Old 05-18-2012, 05:15 PM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Another one who dumped the Harley radio and was able to buy the biktronics kit and sony radio for very little out of pocket money. I now have a radio that works with the iPhone and charges it as well. Sounds much better

Old 05-18-2012, 05:18 PM
Shakeydeal
Outstanding HDF Member

Dump the HK, it's crap.

Mine isn't exactly plug and play, but look at my signature to see what I did.

Shakey

Quick Reply: What are your thoughts on dumping the HD stereo