Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Progressive Monotube, Ohlins Motorcycle Metal install

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 09:30 PM
Bonkulator
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Progressive Monotube, Ohlins Motorcycle Metal install

It was a dark and stormy night. No, no.......

I am a sophomore at a small midwest....No, not that either....

Here we go...Progressive Monotube front suspension install and Ohlins rear shocks via Howard at Motorcycle metal.

Let me state at the git-go that Howard was helpful and knowledgable. Delivered as advertised.

’08 Harley FLHT. I weight 170# and ride solo on back country roads. The stock front suspension is under-sprung and under-damped. This condition is most seriously manifested by the creepy KA-CHUNK we’ve all experienced whilst negotiating rough pavement. I could also drag the under carriage pretty much at will, which to me is an indication of a badly sacked suspension.

FRONT SUSPENSON
I ordered Progressive Monotubes as a cost effective option.

I find Haynes Manuals to be a decent reference.

I’m a big fan of anti-seize compound.

The corners of the fork caps are manufactured rounded to the extent that a box end wrench cannot gain purchase. This issue is crucial if you are trying to service the forks after removing the front portion of the fairing. The only way in is with a box end...to a frogging nut with missing corners. (Why!) Anyway...enter the Schley (SCH67250) Harley Davidson Front Fork Cap Wrench. Well worth the money.

Hold a rag over the top of the fork tube whilst removing the nut that retains the spring inside the fork. Wrench over the rag. When the nut springs loose the rag will catch the nut.

Concerned that you don’t have a proper clamp/vise for the forks? You’ve got one right in front of you. Slide the fork tube as needed into the lower triple clamp. Be careful not to crimp the fork top nut as you tighten the triple clamp nut. Give some space between the two. Experiment/adjust as needed and you’ll find the working room you need to get your work done.

REAR SUSPENSION

I gave my specs to Howard and he shipped me a pair of Ohlins 2(a)’s / Ohlins HD 039.
Carefully followed the directions and they went right on.

Why did Harley build the bike with the shock bolt threads passing through the shock bushings? Threads serve a specific purpose and they are not meant to be a bushing surface. I’ll address this and other build issues when I go through the bike this winter. Gotta love Fastenal.

The ride. Took the bike on a 120 mile afternoon ride on Kentucky back roads. The bike is tighter. More responsive. Tracks well. Much less front end dive on braking. Front end might be just a bit harsh. I’ll probably remove one spacer from each tube this winter. From a cost/proof of concept perspective the Monotubes are well worth the money. I’d be interested to feel what the Traxxion units can do, and will likely buy a pair if the Progressives wear out.

The Ohlins? As dialed in by Howard....as close to perfect as I could hope for. Tight damping without being harsh. Kudos to Howard for a job well done. Highly recommended/wouldn’t hesitate to go back for more.

Best Regards,

Bonkulator