Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Canadian helmet laws

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 02:05 PM
hd for life 68
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Canadian helmet laws

I am planning to ride into Canada from Glacier NP in July and I was wondering if Canada has helmet laws? I have tried to google the info and cant find a real government source for the laws. Any help would be great, thanks! Also, if anyone has any suggested things to see or do while in the park, that would be great too!

Thanks

Old 05-17-2012, 02:07 PM
harley_badboy
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes, you are required to wear a helmet everywhere Canada.

Last edited by harley_badboy; 05-17-2012 at 02:15 PM.
Old 05-17-2012, 02:18 PM
1HarleyGuy1
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Helemt laws are the rule everywhere in Canada. I know that the police will also check your helmet even if it has a DOT sticker as there are so many helmets that simply have the sticker. If they don't like it, you lose your helmet and you ain't riding.

1HarleyGuy1

Old 05-17-2012, 02:26 PM
Sallyman
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, make sure your helmet is DOT approved - they don't see the "humor" in novelty skid lids up here!!

Old 05-17-2012, 02:26 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,609 Likes on 2,727 Posts

Originally Posted by 1HarleyGuy1
Helemt laws are the rule everywhere in Canada. I know that the police will also check your helmet even if it has a DOT sticker as there are so many helmets that simply have the sticker. If they don't like it, you lose your helmet and you ain't riding.

1HarleyGuy1
How common is this? Do they commonly pull random people over? I have a business trip to Toronto in July, I dont look like a 1%er, I dont cause trouble, and I dont have loud pipes.

I have a Skull Crush with a DOT sticker which I love, but if they are really focused on this then I'll get one of those outlaw low profile ones.

Old 05-17-2012, 02:34 PM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Ya. They have no sense of humour about helmets up here. And they WILL pull you over if they even suspect your helmet isn't dot. I've been pulled over twice because my beanie helmet is small. They had me remove it so they could check it out. Kinda gross. Damn thing smells like greasy sweat but whatever.
If you are riding your American bike here you are going to need to know the conversion from km/h to mph.
80km/h is roughly 50 mph
90 is roughly 55
100 is roughly 60 mph
Rule of thumb is every 10 km/h is 6 mph.
Enjoy our beautiful country in all it's stunning splendor

Old 05-17-2012, 02:37 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Shredding rubber
Ya. They have no sense of humour about helmets up here. And they WILL pull you over if they even suspect your helmet isn't dot. I've been pulled over twice because my beanie helmet is small. They had me remove it so they could check it out. Kinda gross. Damn thing smells like greasy sweat but whatever.
If you are riding your American bike here you are going to need to know the conversion from km/h to mph.
80km/h is roughly 50 mph
90 is roughly 55
100 is roughly 60 mph
Rule of thumb is every 10 km/h is 6 mph.
Enjoy our beautiful country in all it's stunning splendor
I'm looking forward to it. So I'll have to order my Outlaw today. I live across the river in suburban Detroit, only a 4 hour trip.

I have a GPS, so I'll just set that to KPH and use that for my speedo.

Old 05-17-2012, 02:42 PM
Tom Hudson
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

don't forget your passport

Old 05-17-2012, 02:56 PM
hdsuspension.com
Former Sponsor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Personally I would consider a regular half helmet, certainly not a lightweight. If they want to they will as already mentioned pull your ride! along with your helmet.

Why take a chance - when I go to the states I certainly do the speed limit and I do wear one of those pain in the *** thicker helmets. Why bring on trouble - being out of state or province is heat enough - make sure your license plate is mounted properly as well. No side plates allowed. Straight and easily read. Quebec as far as I know is the only who allows vertical plates.

Hope to see you at the Windsor Provincial Rally - ride safe!

Old 05-17-2012, 02:58 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by hdsuspension.com
Personally I would consider a regular half helmet, certainly not a lightweight. If they want to they will as already mentioned pull your ride! along with your helmet.

Why take a chance - when I go to the states I certainly do the speed limit and I do wear one of those pain in the *** thicker helmets. Why bring on trouble - being out of state or province is heat enough - make sure your license plate is mounted properly as well. No side plates allowed. Straight and easily read. Quebec as far as I know is the only who allows vertical plates.

Hope to see you at the Windsor Provincial Rally - ride safe!
Thanks - an Outlaw is DOT - DOT is DOT, no?

I have lowered my plate but its centered and very well lit (better than when it was in the stock location)

Too bad I cant make it to the Windsor rally - I have to be in Atlanta the week after Toronto (riding there from Detroit too!), and possibly Pheonix the following week. Summers are usually hell for me for travel, but I try to combine work w/pleasure.

Last edited by Keithhu; 05-17-2012 at 03:02 PM.

Quick Reply: Canadian helmet laws