Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I just called Progressive tech,,,and

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 01:14 PM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member
Received 364 Likes on 253 Posts
Default I just called Progressive tech,,,and

I made it very simple, I just said I would like to keep the price down as much as possible, and get a smoother ride over small sharp bumps and seems in the road. I have stock Harley 12" air shocks now and they kill me on the little sharp seems in the road. I had 13" on when I got it and there not much better if at all. I'm short and I need the bike down.
He said , how much do you weigh, I'm 185 lbs.
He said how often do I ride 2 up, I said never.
He said the 12" 412 with standard spring would defiantly give me a smoother ride, if I road 2 up then the 412 would not workout good.
I said, I had 12" 412 on my last Sportster and I didn't think it was very smooth.
He said the Sportster is a much lighter bike and the rear suspension isn't that great. On a RK riding solo a 412 will do the job and give a lot smoother ride.
So is this true, just $200 and I can have a smoother ride?
Any one here with a RK or SG with 412 that rides solo only,,,is this true?
From what I see on here most are spending $500 and up to get a smoother ride, is this just because most of you ride 2 up?

Last edited by GPHDXLC; 05-17-2012 at 02:01 PM.
Old 05-17-2012, 02:26 PM
RaceFace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm curious too. I don't ride 2 up anymore and my 12" air shocks ride hard....with no air in them. Someone has to have 'em on their scoot and can help out!

Old 05-17-2012, 03:53 PM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by RaceFace
I'm curious too. I don't ride 2 up anymore and my 12" air shocks ride hard....with no air in them. Someone has to have 'em on their scoot and can help out!
I know, seems most ride 2 up some times as one would expect. I just hope some one on here that never rides 2 up and has the 412 can advise us. What the guy said dose make some sense. He could had just as well try to push me in to more expensive shocks, but he didn't.

Old 05-17-2012, 09:01 PM
C908
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts

Interesting, when I talked to them they told me to go with the 430's. The difference being I weigh 170 and always ride solo but I have a 2010 Ultra.

Old 05-17-2012, 09:22 PM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by C908
Interesting, when I talked to them they told me to go with the 430's. The difference being I weigh 170 and always ride solo but I have a 2010 Ultra.
Yes that is, how long ago was it when you called? Do you remember his name? I believe the guy I talked to was Brian. Maybe I will call again Tomorrow and see if I get the same answer, I will up-date.

Old 05-17-2012, 10:41 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by GPHDXLC
Yes that is, how long ago was it when you called? Do you remember his name? I believe the guy I talked to was Brian. Maybe I will call again Tomorrow and see if I get the same answer, I will up-date.

Take into consideration the extra weight over the rear end of the Ultra. Unless that was the recommendation after removing the tour pack, etc.

I have to wonder about your situations though. I have the stock air shocks on mine, and most of my riding is solo. I keep them aired to about 20 psi. But even if I forget to lower it after riding two up, the 50 psi doesn't create too much of a hard ride either.

Old 05-18-2012, 12:50 AM
RaceFace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DannyZ71
Take into consideration the extra weight over the rear end of the Ultra. Unless that was the recommendation after removing the tour pack, etc.

I have to wonder about your situations though. I have the stock air shocks on mine, and most of my riding is solo. I keep them aired to about 20 psi. But even if I forget to lower it after riding two up, the 50 psi doesn't create too much of a hard ride either.
My stock air shocks rode ok.......it was going to the 12"ers that I really felt the difference. I'm a tall guy and just lowered it for the looks, but boy did the ride suffer with just 1" taken out of the shocks.

I found the Progressive 412's at 11.5" for $225. I'm debating on pulling the trigger.......

Old 05-18-2012, 07:05 AM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member

DannZ71
I find my best ride around 8-10 lbs. Any thing over 20 lbs and I get thrown off the seat on larger bumps.
Race Face.
I didn't feel a big deference from the 13" to the 12" on small sharp bumps. On larger bumps the 13" was better.
I'm comparing the ride to the 10 FXDC I had for a year, that bike rode smoother then my RK and I find that very odd.

Old 05-18-2012, 07:12 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,354 Likes on 2,533 Posts

Originally Posted by GPHDXLC
I would like to keep the price down as much as possible,
this here is the qualifier. i bet you didn't have this stipulation when you called.

Old 05-18-2012, 07:25 AM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by skratch
this here is the qualifier. i bet you didn't have this stipulation when you called.
Good one 'skratch' I think you nailed it.
I'm going to call them again today and this time I will not use the term 'keeping the price down', I'll say it differently.

Quick Reply: I just called Progressive tech,,,and