Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Moment of Truth I've Gotta Sell Her

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 04:36 PM
mchacon
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Moment of Truth I've Gotta Sell Her

Brothers and Sisters, I had feared the day would come and it has. My son will be going to College this summer and I'll need to pay for that first year. Since my assets are slim my beloved '05 Road King Classic must go.

I'm writing for some suggestions. First off is price. She has 7k miles on her and has been babied, garaged, and kept impeccably clean. A real head turner with chromed out front end bullet lights, Wild Ones handle bars, chrome controls, V&H True Duals and Ovals, Corbin Solo Seat, lowered rear, and a whole lotta other extras as you can see in the foto.

1) So what do you all suggest for price in Southern California?

2) My second question is a little more complex. 25 years ago my bro and I shared a Honda 750. When we put it up for sale, the first
guy who took it on a test drive never came back. Although he left an ID he nor the bike were ever found. How do I avoid this?
What is a standard practice for interested buyers and the tricky test drive?

Your wise input would be greatly appreciated.

M.

Old 01-05-2007, 04:41 PM
dschoemaker
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Moment of Truth I've Gotta Sell Her

Bummer you have to sell, but seems like your priorities are properly set

Cant answer most of the questions. However, as far as a test drive I would want cash in hand and give them title with understanding that if after a test drive they did not like you would swap back. Otherwise there is just a ton of risk on your part.

Dave

Old 01-05-2007, 04:42 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Nice looking bike, sorry you have to sell.

On the first part, I'd check the KBB price and also see what they're going for in the trader magazines. This will give you a good idea of what it's worth.

On the second part, a lot of people won't let people take it for a test drive unless they pay them cash for the bike up front and if after a short test ride youeither consumate the deal or not. If they don't come back, consider the bike sold. There are some good threads on this if you do a search.

Old 01-05-2007, 04:48 PM
Hogtoad
Cruiser

Sorry you got sell, its a sweet looking ride. What I did to get a idea what things are selling for in your area is to look at Craigslist. Other then that your Harley dealer might be able to help you. Unfortunately things are going for less than they used to . I payed 16500 for my Deuce 3 years ago and I'll be lucky to get 13000 for it today. You can thank Harley for producing so many bikes.

Old 01-05-2007, 04:51 PM
lsc86
Tourer

I always keep my stock parts and put the bike back as close to stock as possible and then sell off the add-ons, it's the only way to get any type of value back out of that stuff. I've seen mostly stock '04s at dealers here in IL/WI area for under $14, not sure what the SoCal market is like these days.

Test rides, well unless you know the person, I'd say toss them on the back and take them for a ride, otherwise they gotta pay for it up front. Only way I'd do it.

Too bad you couldn't have bought it earlier than '05, then she'd be paid for by now and not sacrificed for the college fund! Nice bike, but all the extra's just don't bring that much more $$$$ in the used market, sell off the goods and stick it on eBay or maybe a local Independent shop will do it on consignment for you?

Old 01-05-2007, 04:53 PM
swomack
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Keep the bike and send him to the local community college first year. That's where I went and by the time spring quarter came around alot of the guys that went "off" to college were their too.

Old 01-05-2007, 04:54 PM
Custom07RKC
Outstanding HDF Member

Sorry ya have to let her go, but KUDOS for doing the stand up thing and thinking of the family first. Not a lot of people have their priorities straight anymore these days, it is really refreshing to see someone that does. Hope ya get back on the road again after the college thing is over.

Old 01-05-2007, 04:56 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Or have him join the Army and with hissigning bonus buy some more chrome! It's a win-win!

ORIGINAL: swomack

Keep the bike and send him to the local community college first year. That's where I went and by the time spring quarter came around alot of the guys that went "off" to college were their too.

Old 01-05-2007, 04:56 PM
Primo
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Say it isn't so Brother! Couldn't you just sell the kid instead?

Price? I'd go along with the Craigslist idea as well as Cycle Trader and maybe some trips to local dealers to gauge the pricing market.

Test Ride? Either get the cash in hand first (My preference) or tell the dude he has to ride Biotch while you give him a test ride with you at the controls.

Hey Brother, since we never got to ride together, PM me if you'd like to get some guys together for one last ride on your very sweet bike.

I remember yours was one I admired before purchasing my 05 Road King.

Primo

Old 01-05-2007, 05:00 PM
fimduc
Cruiser

Know what you mean about college funds......you can about buy a bike a year for the cost of college these days for one kid.......Looks like $14,675 is NADA avg retail and $11,155 is low retail.....my recent experience is you will do well to get the avg number regardless of the add ons........Cycle Trader has several low mileage '05 Kings in SoCal for $16,500 OBO...so probably asking that would be good....saw several that are way over that number. A buddy of mine had $24k in his '04 King and just finally sold it for $14,500......there is just so much inventory of HD's out there that it is truly a buyers market and probably will be for many years to come.

Quick Reply: Moment of Truth I've Gotta Sell Her