Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Moment of Truth I've Gotta Sell Her

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 06:59 PM
alazlo
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Moment of Truth I've Gotta Sell Her

Sold several bikes in the last few years and the buyer did not get to ride it until I had cash (not cashiers check) in hand. This is the generally accepted rule when buying a Harley...

Old 01-05-2007, 07:32 PM
LookMaNoHands
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: TexasRedneck
Each of us must do what we feel best. Myself, I told my kids that if they wanted college, it was up to THEM to pay for it. I quietly helped 'em, but the bulk was theirs to do, because I learned long ago that that which is free is valued at the same.
I've got to agree with this view. My parents helped me quite a bit - some cash when they could spare it, a place to sleep while I was in school, all of it very much appreciated (something I don't tell em often enough). Uncle Sam helped me quite a bit as well, the GI bill from the reserves wasn't a huge amount but it made it possible.

The bulk of my undergrad and all of grad school came out of my pocket. Since I was paying I was way more interested in learning and less interested in the party scene. I'm one of those 30-somethings you don't hear from very often since the guys complaining about staggering loan debt, useless degrees, "McJobs", and the unfairness of life doesn't make good press.

There's lots of ways to pay for school and lots of smart ways to maximize the experience.

Old 01-05-2007, 07:49 PM
smknflms
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

prices are down, check cycletrader for your area and see what they are asking and be willing to negiotiate a little..
...never have I bought a bike/car w/o test drive first, I always get the feeling that if they wont let me ride it they have might have something to hide... if nothing else a long dead end street will do.
Later

Old 01-05-2007, 07:51 PM
06ultra
Elite HDF Member

Community College first 2 years get all the basic's out of the way. Student loan's and grant's there on out. Even if you pay them for him you don't pay until he is finished with school.Also scholarships there out there you just have to spend lot's of hour's of research find them.Some will be say $500 , some 1000 ,some 2500 but they all add up.I just got my daughter thru 5 years of College and nursing school and owe very little money now.

Old 01-05-2007, 07:58 PM
Vegas FLTRI
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To clarify my position, I think it is a great thing that you are supporting your childs education, there is no better investment. If my son had not gone to the Air Force I would be doing the same but I would still have my Bike, I would be up to the eyeballs in debt but if at all posible I would find a way. if you sell you will lose money and in the long run it is cheaper to keep her. I am still supporting my sons education, uncle sam pays the school, I put a roof over his head, help him with his bills when he needs it, and feed him, he is 6'4" and eats like a horse so i'm not sure who has the better deal me or uncle sam.

Old 01-05-2007, 08:13 PM
Comfortably Numb
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Test ride??? They can test ride it all they want taking it home aftertheir money is in your account.
They either want a RKC or they don't....it's not for you to accomodate them to help make up their mind.
Let them decide whether theywant an RKC, or don't,elsewhere. Yours isn't gonna be all that much different than the next one other than looks, and they don't need to ride it to see that.

OTOH, I sure wouldn't be coughing up much for my kid to be going to school, much less selling something of mine to do it. If they want to go bad enough they ought to have come up with a large portion by themselves......but that's your decision.(and real easy for me to say 'cause my kidhas put herself through university already, and paidfor her own wedding as well...good kid, that one)

Good luck with that.

CN

Old 01-05-2007, 08:14 PM
Bluking06
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The future is his not yours....keep the bike. He can apply for student loans/grants. The Air Force is a great way of life, despite the war; it is currently paying for my MBA.

Old 01-05-2007, 08:33 PM
FLGEEZ
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Everyone else has addressed the financial side really well. When I was looking to buy, I didn't get a free ride at the dealer for a new Sportster and really didn't expect to get one on a previously ownedtour bike either.
The 96 EGlide owner took me for a ride. Good faith money was all he wanted to hold the bike and I didn't even have it that day.We settled on a full payment plan, a notorizedbill of sale, and we waited for my check to clear and he even delivered the bike. Nice guy and WHEN I have to let this one go, I'll plan the same route. He knew I wanted the bike, I didn't dicker, and had my Loan Officer/Spouse with me.
Hope you can find a way to help your son and keep what you worked for.

DWP

[IMG]local://upfiles/17522/9493659FE0054D87A5AE050FD37DB066.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-05-2007, 09:53 PM
jeff194
Cruiser

Why not hold off on selling the bike, and have your son apply for as many scholarships as he can. Talk to the school he is planning on attending, and see what they can offer as well. I did with my kids, and was very suprised at the amount they got. Ya got nothin to lose. Good luck.

Old 01-05-2007, 09:55 PM
JeffSG
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I admire you for sacrificing for your family. Know you will miss the scoot as it looks awesome. Bet you will have another someday even better than this one.

Ride safe,

Quick Reply: Moment of Truth I've Gotta Sell Her