Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vibration in Rear while Braking

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 05:53 PM
Paule253
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vibration in Rear while Braking

2011 Road King 7500 miles....I am experiencing a vibration that is felt throughout the complete bike, from the handlebars to the seat. I experience this problem only when I first start my ride, while the bike has not gone more then a few hundred feet. The vibration increases when riding two-up. It only occures when the rear brake in used (no front brake). It is not the Antilock braking system. I know what that is and it is not the same. (No vibration of the foot brake, which occures durnig the engagement of the antilock system). This problem disappears when I make a few rear brake stops. I brought the bike into my local HD dealer and he checked the rear brake rotor for wrap, brake liner for wear, rear wheel bearings, drive belt and shocks. No problems found. Stated it was not a safety problem. Not his bike, so I do not know if he really cares. If you know of anyone who has experenced the same problem, please inform me. I am trying to find the cause of the problem before I contact The Motor Company. I have had a previous problem with another Harley I owned. And the manufacture does not really do a good job taking care of problems without you knowing what is causing it.

Old 05-15-2012, 07:22 PM
hojones
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

The problem started in 2009 when they redesigned the frame. Take the bike out and do some hard stops with only the rear brake. Then after you feel the vibration, do it again but this time flip the engine off with the handlebar switch. If the problem goes away then it is the frame change and not the brakes. I know this sounds like I'm full of it but try it anyway. HD knows about it and there are articles about this all over the place. They say it is Normal. (surprise, surprise)

Old 07-10-2012, 02:24 PM
newforesthog
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 2012 FLHTCU Rear Vibration - Rusty Mufflers, UK

Originally Posted by Paule253
2011 Road King 7500 miles....I am experiencing a vibration that is felt throughout the complete bike, from the handlebars to the seat. I experience this problem only when I first start my ride, while the bike has not gone more then a few hundred feet. The vibration increases when riding two-up. It only occures when the rear brake in used (no front brake). It is not the Antilock braking system. I know what that is and it is not the same. (No vibration of the foot brake, which occures durnig the engagement of the antilock system). This problem disappears when I make a few rear brake stops. I brought the bike into my local HD dealer and he checked the rear brake rotor for wrap, brake liner for wear, rear wheel bearings, drive belt and shocks. No problems found. Stated it was not a safety problem. Not his bike, so I do not know if he really cares. If you know of anyone who has experenced the same problem, please inform me. I am trying to find the cause of the problem before I contact The Motor Company. I have had a previous problem with another Harley I owned. And the manufacture does not really do a good job taking care of problems without you knowing what is causing it.
MY £21000 2012 FLHTCU was delivered with rusty mufflers and the rear end vibrates badly when I apply the rear brake only. No vibration with front brake only applied. Harley Davidson boast of pure quality but they let bikes leave the factory with rusty mufflers. Have written to HD-UK and asked:

Is this vibration 'normal'?

Is it part of the design?

Is the bike safe to ride?

Awaiting a reply from Harley UK

Been riding 42 years Brit bikes, Japanese and my last being a Beemer. I have never had quality and design problems before. Would love to hear from other owners and the conclusion, if any, from Harley Davidson.