Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lower front motor mount

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 04:38 PM
Ugly Troll
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Default lower front motor mount

Recently, after sorting out a problem with my 05 EGC; I finally figured out I had a bad lower front motor mount. After replacing it, I discovered it seems much stiffer with more vibration (reminiscent of an old shovel motor). The mount looks slightly different than the original...there seems to be a metal plate molded into the top part of the rubber, unlike the original, which was definitely just rubber on top. The motor itself is very stiff and tight in the frame now. I had noticed the motor always "danced" in the frame...now it just sits there almost like it's solid mount like the old shovel motors used to be....any ideas? Does it just need to "break in?" Have I done something wrong with the big washers or something? Do I not need the top large washer now since there seems to be one molded right into the rubber? Do I not need the bottom large washer? I can see things breaking as a result of this excess vibration now. Other than this, which I find pretty annoying, it seems fine. Thanks for any suggestions!

Old 05-14-2012, 04:58 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,244 Likes on 1,851 Posts

Two things..... 1) yes sometimes the mount takes awhile to settle down. 2) the mount style changed and there is a bulletin out to show if it's installed upside or not. Glide Pro makes a good mount.

Old 05-14-2012, 05:35 PM
dodger413
Tourer
Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts
Default motor mount......

i have an 07 electraglide that started shaking excessively of late. replaced the motor mount with a Velva Ride motor mount. WOW, what an improvement! After riding softtails with solid mounts, i always hated riding my bagger that shook all over.

what one person calls stiff and tight, i call GREAT! there is more vibration at about 1500-1700 rpms, but it is rock solid at an idle. stopping at red lights isn't embarrassing anymore. i actually rev it a bit just to make sure it is running.

my fairing vibrates at that one rpm range, but i think it is a vast improvement. I test rode a 2012 Street Glide today. with their new frame and mounting stabilizers, it is a vast improvement in engine vibration.

just my 2 cents worth.

Old 05-14-2012, 09:41 PM
bagger05
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just install a Glide Pro, problem solved! (glide-pro.com)

Old 05-15-2012, 04:41 PM
Ugly Troll
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

Appreciate the suggestions from everyone....I cannot justify any of the aftermarket options right now....strangely, the HD oem was the least expensive, and it's brand new, so I can't spring for something else...I'm stuck with what I have...but I'm really wondering if there's a problem. This thing is SUPPOSED to be rubber mounted...but it really feels like a solid mount to me; and there is absolutely NO movement to the engine now while it's idling (call it vibration, hopping, dancing, whatever), this cannot be right!