Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

front and rear spindle question

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012 | 02:14 PM
chopper king matt
|
Tourer
Default front and rear spindle question

i have a 2006 rkc and i also have a set of wheels that i want to fit but the wheel bearings are too small to fit the original axle so what i was thinking is having the axle machined down to fit the bearings as i cant get the right size bearings to do the job

would this be ok as it will be thinner but still fit ok ?

thanks
Matt

Old 05-14-2012 | 03:26 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member

Matt,

What model year wheels are you trying to install? I ask because if you provide the information, it's likely many others have done the mod and can give you accurate information that won't require machining anything.

Also, this is predominantly a US website; so use our language; e.g., axle= spindle. I wouldn't go to England and use the term "trunk" when in England the term is "boot." Just a suggestion.

Carl

Old 05-14-2012 | 05:39 PM
chopper king matt
|
Tourer

yer thanks for the info and i did use spindle in the title and i have American relatives so im good on that one i think but always good to have someone point something out

the wheels are 20yrs old and are still brand new as in not used at all and its a 1" spindle hole on the bearing size but on the road king there bigger so i have the bigger stock spindle and cant buy the bearings to fit the custom wheel as its not a stock harley wheel

thanks again for your advice
Matt

Old 05-14-2012 | 05:45 PM
jcb1975@yahoo.com
Tourer

You might not be able to get the bearings from H/D, but have you tried measuring the spindle (yep I said it) and races and then going directly to a bearing company? I have bought many bearings right from a bearing company like this as I did not want to pay what H/D wanted, or have the crap they sometimes sell you. One thing you have to remember is that if they ask you what the bearings are for, tell them for your old cub cadet riding lawn mower or something like that. Something about liability and not wanting to sell them to you becasue they can get sued.

Old 05-14-2012 | 05:57 PM
chopper king matt
|
Tourer

yer i went to a local bearing place today and have not even thought about H-D as you say if it hasnt got a part number they wont know anyway lol

ill keep looking and trying first before i have my spindle machined but wanted to know if it would be safe to do so ?

im guessing it would be due to 1" spindles being used before larger ones were thought of

Old 05-14-2012 | 08:19 PM
DTTJGlide
Stellar HDF Member

Your 06 RKC has 1" axles already, if the wheels are that old they would be 3/4" HD changed to 1" front in 2000 & 1" rear in 2002. Make sure you know what you have, I wouldn't go with 3/4" axles.

Old 05-15-2012 | 05:37 AM
grbrown
Club Member

Matt, your current wheels have sealed ball races, the old wheels have tapered roller bearings. They are a different OD and not interchangeable. Sealed bearing kits are available with 3/4" IDs, but the tapered bearings are not available with 1" IDs. So it is more feasible to do the reverse of what you would like to do, but not a bolt in job. Sorry old chap!

Additional info is that the older hubs take rotors/discs and pulley with smaller central holes and I suspect you will find that the mounting flanges are further apart - in other words the hubs of your current wheels are slightly wider. Even if you machine down the axles, you will still have other problems with compatibility.

I have installed a later sealed bearing rear wheel to my 1990 bike, but swapped swinging arm brake and even belt, to get over the problems that will hinder you.

Old 05-15-2012 | 06:09 PM
chopper king matt
|
Tourer

thanks for the reply and i fitted one front disc and bolt holes were the same but center section id was larger than hub od so looks like i wont be doing this after all

Old 05-17-2012 | 12:54 PM
wingman1946
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Harleypingman
Matt,

What model year wheels are you trying to install? I ask because if you provide the information, it's likely many others have done the mod and can give you accurate information that won't require machining anything.

Also, this is predominantly a US website; so use our language; e.g., axle= spindle. I wouldn't go to England and use the term "trunk" when in England the term is "boot." Just a suggestion.

Carl
Excuse me but there is a big difference between an axle and a spindle !!!

Old 05-17-2012 | 01:28 PM
jcb1975@yahoo.com
Tourer

Originally Posted by wingman1946
Excuse me but there is a big difference between an axle and a spindle !!!
I was kind of thinking the same thing, but was not 100% so I left it alone. I just kind of sat back and smiled, thinking of the times that I hear someone say "if your going to come to this country, learn how to speak American!"

Quick Reply: front and rear spindle question