Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

installed adj backrest today...

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 12:51 AM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 81 Posts
Default installed adj backrest today...

installed item#52622-03 comfert stitch adj backrest. went fairly smooth. Thought control for adjuster was on the side of seat,but went on side of frame nearrear cylinder. one bolt that went in quick set fastener had to use my own. getting the bolt to hold adjuster control switch frame would have been easier if hands were smaller.
after install was concerned about being too far forward. Well did install after rideing today and dont think it is. Liked it all the way back as far as it would adjust though. Maybe not all the time? will see. Think there is a little wiggle room to the install or another way if want it back a little more. all in all just lookin at it gives me a worm fussy feeling in my back.

Old 01-05-2007, 04:37 AM
DI75
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: installed adj backrest today...

[sm=ttiwwp.gif]

Old 01-05-2007, 04:59 AM
The HalfBreed
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On long rides, a backrest is wonderful.

Old 01-05-2007, 09:00 AM
Abnmarine
Elite HDF Member

I started off using mine for long trips only but now never take it off. It's more confortable and it also prevents me from having to hang on when twisting the throttle.

Old 01-05-2007, 09:16 AM
Toyman
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I took mine off for the ease of getting on& off in city riding. I put it back on for longer rides. There is no doubt that they are comfy for those of us with sore backs.

Old 01-05-2007, 10:35 AM
FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: voodoodrug

installed item#52622-03 comfert stitch adj backrest. went fairly smooth. Thought control for adjuster was on the side of seat,but went on side of frame near rear cylinder. one bolt that went in quick set fastener had to use my own. getting the bolt to hold adjuster control switch frame would have been easier if hands were smaller.
after install was concerned about being too far forward. Well did install after rideing today and dont think it is. Liked it all the way back as far as it would adjust though. Maybe not all the time? will see. Think there is a little wiggle room to the install or another way if want it back a little more. all in all just lookin at it gives me a worm fussy feeling in my back.
I have the same back rest on my Classic. I love it but I wish I could get it back a little further. I have been thinking about trying to bend the steel to give it a little more tip. I just have to find a way to hold it tight enough to get it bent. I would heat it and bend it, but for the life of me I cant figure out how to get the pad off off the brace.

Old 01-05-2007, 02:38 PM
2CMan
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put the same backrest on my 05 road king, which has the sundowner seat. Love the backrest but it doesn't fit all theway down to meet the top of the seat. It has a height adjustment buteven whenit's set to the lowest position, it still is about 3inches above the seat. Noticed in the HD catalog all the pics of this item show it down righton top of the seat. Did I miss something during the install?? Does anybody else have this problem??

Old 01-05-2007, 02:52 PM
oley55
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

they are great,I never take mine off. well except for today as Ijust moved mine back today from third to last hole. Haven't gone out totest it yet.

I assume like everyone else H-D failed to include all of the needed bolts, etc for a no brainer installation.

not tohighjack the thread, but also just finished pulling and reinstalling the front wheel for fender removal and repair. like a "dip stick", I had mounted my gremlin bell off thehydraulic tee block under the fork and the bell dented the finder. pushed it out and very carefullyreformed with a body iron/block. not being a body guy, was way scarred of making it worse than better. came out pretty good. I doubt anyone will even notice it. But, I know it's there and therefore it stands out like a sore thumb!

Old 01-05-2007, 04:25 PM
FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: 2CMan

I put the same backrest on my 05 road king, which has the sundowner seat. Love the backrest but it doesn't fit all theway down to meet the top of the seat. It has a height adjustment buteven whenit's set to the lowest position, it still is about 3inches above the seat. Noticed in the HD catalog all the pics of this item show it down righton top of the seat. Did I miss something during the install?? Does anybody else have this problem??
Is it because of the seat? I don't know just guessing.

Old 01-05-2007, 04:32 PM
Vegas FLTRI
Tourer

on my 06 roadglide with the stock seat it was the same as you describe, but i put on a sundowner seat and now it is fine
ORIGINAL: 2CMan

Quick Reply: installed adj backrest today...