Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trans/Primary area oil leak question!

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 05:43 PM
SpiderPig
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 64 Likes on 52 Posts
Exclamation Trans/Primary area oil leak question!

I have a transmission leak between my primary and trans on a 06 Ultra with 36,000 miles on it. I have been running Redline shockproof for about the last 20,000 miles. The leak is the Pepto red color, so I know it trans fluid. It was only a few ounces low so may not be a big deal, just made a mess on the bottom of the oil pan and made it look worse If anyone else has had this issue and had it repaired can you let me know what the cost was? We are planning on leaving for Yellowstone on the 25th.Total trip mileage will be in the 5,000 mile area. Not sure I can get this turned around by then at the dealer and I do not have time to dig into it before the trip. I am mechanical and have this next weekend but am afraid that this may be a big job. Any advice from those that have done this repair? Any special tools to get the comp and clutch pack assembly off? Dose the trans need to be pulled as well? And Opinions on getting this done after the trip? I know I would just have to keep it topped off but there is also a metal to metal sound between 2nd and third and 3rd and 2nd. Not the normal clunk sound. Could have been from being low on oil. I just filled it and will try another ride after dinner tonight. Any and all opinion's welcome. Thanks for reading.

Old 05-13-2012, 05:53 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

it is probably the seal on the tranny shaft, but it may have another cause.

leaks and seeps can be found by spraying the area with drugstore foot powder.

fluids on the externals are pushed around by wind when riding, and will flow to the left side, when parked

1. check the trap door ( rt side end cover) bolts, they should be at 25 ft lbs.

2.) check the tranny vent tube, wasps often fill this with mud - it is quite common ( I found the radiator overflow tube on my truck blocked by mud just today)

a.) service manual

b.) no air impact tools on the comp sprocket or clutch hub nut ( left hand thread !!)- air tools, can knock the magnets off the rotor destrying the stator, they can also damage the shifter cogs in the tranny.

c.) straight forward job, but often best given to someone who does it all the time, they may find a problem that a novice wouldn't

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 05-13-2012 at 05:56 PM.
Old 05-13-2012, 06:21 PM
6speed51
Road Captain
Received 100 Likes on 53 Posts

Had a leak from the shifter shaft seal. Required new seal, gaskets and two hours of labor at the local dealership. A quick, straightforward job.

Old 05-13-2012, 07:24 PM
horseplay
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 6speed51
Had a leak from the shifter shaft seal. Required new seal, gaskets and two hours of labor at the local dealership. A quick, straightforward job.
My dealer told me my shifter shaft seal was leaking and quoted me around $600. I went home, cleaned up around the shifter, no fluid leak has been detected since.

Old 05-13-2012, 09:35 PM
SpiderPig
Outstanding HDF Member

After cleaning up the area and taking a 1/2hr ride I can see that the trans shifter shaft seal is the culprit and as there is a line of oil running down the side of the oil pan. I am thinking of waiting on this until after the trip and diving into this job this winter. Anyone else have a similar leak? I can not imagine this causing any other issues as long as I keep an eye on the trans oil level every couple of fill ups.

Last edited by SpiderPig; 05-13-2012 at 10:12 PM.
Old 05-13-2012, 09:55 PM
cncmike
Road Master
Received 251 Likes on 161 Posts

Mine was the inner primary seal to the trans shaft. About 2-3 hours labor in a shop. But several months later the inner primary bearing went out and the seal was changed again at the same time. They kept it 2 days for that. All under warranty so I don't know the cost. 17,000 miles later no leaks

Old 05-13-2012, 10:21 PM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

I had gone thru three shift shaft seals and 1 shift shaft in 55,000 miles on my 'o6..Just makes a huge mess underneath.

Old 05-13-2012, 10:29 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

Lose the heel shifter. Go toe only. People tend to "stomp" the heel end of the shifter and that causes problems with shifter seals and shafts over time...not on every bike...but on enough of them to be an issue. You have more finesse in your toe anyway, and it makes it much easier to find neutral if you are using your toe. IMHO

Old 05-13-2012, 10:30 PM
SpiderPig
Outstanding HDF Member

Anyone have a link to a good "how to" step by step process on this. I have a manual but looking for step by step pictures as well and real life feedback. Anyone on here done this DIY? If so looking for advice on how hard it is?

Old 05-14-2012, 12:31 AM
Keith50
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SpiderPig
After cleaning up the area and taking a 1/2hr ride I can see that the trans shifter shaft seal is the culprit and as there is a line of oil running down the side of the oil pan. I am thinking of waiting on this until after the trip and diving into this job this winter. Anyone else have a similar leak? I can not imagine this causing any other issues as long as I keep an eye on the trans oil level every couple of fill ups.
The only other issue I can think of is getting oil on the back tire and brakes

Quick Reply: Trans/Primary area oil leak question!