Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A little Blow by out of my HD Ventilator??

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 06:20 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 75,083 Likes on 22,574 Posts

Originally Posted by mgmmgm
http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

I used the MotoMan process to break in my 103 build on my 07, and on my 2011 103, no issues.
Same here, right out the gate.
30-60 miles per hour in 3rd gear and then let er coast down, and brake on her own to 30 and then back up to 60,10 times in a row.
No issues w/blow-by.
Not once.

Old 05-16-2012, 11:42 AM
EddieBlaize
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have an '09 road king with the factory 103. About 12,000 miles I started to get blowby out my ventilor. In case it was the oil level, I tooks some out. I haven't made any changes in the bike for 11,000 miles.

Any thoughts on why this would develop all of the sudden?

Old 05-17-2012, 06:56 AM
Schex
Supporter
Received 7,035 Likes on 1,853 Posts

OP, you might be a victim of something like this.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/gener...stupidity.html

Old 05-17-2012, 05:21 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 171 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by djkolp
Grab a copy of the book below, and you will have hours of mind numbing facts about the Harley Twin Cam. Donny has several chapters that deal with oil blow by, and mentioned that overfilling the oil tank was a very common problem, but certainly not the only one. Even in a dry sump oil tank, Donny states that the amount of air in the reservoir plays a part in oil blow by. The key word here is "overfilling" and not just bringing it up to the "full" mark. The amount of information in Donny's book regarding oil blow by is too extensive to post here. Not to mention the copyright laws. Or you can just wait for someone else to post an answer that might be more satisfying to you.

Petersen, Donny (2011-01-20). Donny's Unauthorized Technical Guide to Harley-Davidson, 1936 to Present: Volume I: The Twin Cam (pp. 227-228). iUniverse. Kindle Edition.
I ordered the book from Amazon today. Thanks. I'm looking forward to reading through it.

Old 06-19-2012, 04:04 PM
gunsnharleys
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More Blow-by

2011 Road King Classic 103 with about 5700 miles. It has been blowing oil for a while so I was playing with oil level etc. I just took a 2500 mile trip and had to clean the air filter every 200 miles to keep it from coating the bags. I took it to the dealer and got the "it's normal" routine. I disagreed so they "checked it out" They cleaned the filter and rode 25 miles and "could not duplicate the issue". When I picked it up they told me it passed a leak-down test. I took the bike, rode 40 miles and it started leaking oil. I rode back to the dealer and got the service manager who at first said "its normal". Since the probelm is getting worse I told him it had to be mechanical and I wanted to see the results of the leak down test. He agreed and I left the bike. Two days later I get a call that they will need to re-ring my bike and it will take up to two weeks (crap).

Now, I broke this in like a baby and did not have my V&H true duals put on until it was past 500 miles. One thing I did notice is that when I picked up the bike with the true duals it felt less powerful. I woulder if the dyno guy spun it up too tight.

I am glad that they identified the problem.

Old 06-19-2012, 04:36 PM
mgmmgm
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 2black1s
I'd say the 20 minutes at 70 MPH did you in. That is about the worst thing you could do to a bike with less than 500 miles on the clock. I don't know of any break-in procedure that would have you riding along at 70 MPH for 20 minutes during the first 500 miles.

I proposed a theory in another thread that oil blow-by through the air filter could be caused by improper break-in. Some bikes have it, some don't. Is that due to different break-in processes between different bikes?

Something to ponder.
i used this break in process, the factory HD method, not so much. http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Old 02-27-2013, 04:35 AM
CWOF
Stage I

Great info throughout this thread. If I read correctly, this thread started with reference to the ventilator air cleaner. I may have missed it, but has anyone had any issues with air cleaner oil leaks only after they changed the OEM stock air cleaner to the ventilator or other high-flow air cleaner? In other words is this issue primarily after changing to a high-flow air filter? I ride a 2012 FLHR, broken in according to HD procedures, with 5000 miles on the clock, and no issues. My only mod so far is Rinehart 4" Slip-ons. I want to change to the SE Ventilator and a SERT, but after reading this thread I don't want oil puke issues if it is primarily related to a high-flow air cleaner like the ventilator. Anyone have trouble with a OEM stock air cleaner?

Old 02-27-2013, 02:14 PM
Slick03 H-D
Intermediate

[quote=2black1s;9795069]I've read all the information out there relative to oil level and breather blow-by to the air cleaner. Many of you swear that the oil level makes a difference but no one has ever explained a rational for why. Can you?

Personally, I just don't get it. What does a 1/2 qt. difference in oil level have to do with the volume of oil getting to the heads? As long as the pan/tank doesn't run dry the volume of oil to the heads should remain the same, and if the volume of oil to the heads is the same then why would more oil make it through the breathers, regardless of the oil level in the pan/tank?

Can anyone provide a credible rational to why the oil level has an effect on blow-by and oil in the air filter? I just don't see it, but I'm open to learning something from your explanations.

Probably got more to do with the crankcase pressure in the system, leaving it 1/2 qt low helps aleveate part of that issue, and you don't notice the misting/blowby with the stock sealed air cleaner because it reburns some of it back thru the cylinders..kinda like the old pcv systems from the early 70's cars.

Last edited by Slick03 H-D; 02-27-2013 at 02:31 PM.
Old 07-06-2013, 04:20 PM
nateuofmn
Advanced

I have the ventilator and oil puking out on the exhaust and bag. Checked oil hot and its a little under full. I'm putting in some cams soon so I'll be inspecting the intake and breather bolts when it's apart. This sucks.

Old 07-06-2013, 05:29 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 219 Likes on 167 Posts

Here's one of many threads on the subject for your enjoyment on the subject:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...ir-filter.html

I've been using this mod now for over 4k and not a drop goes outside the TB:

Also if you look at the chart, 70MPH is only 2600 RPM and I don't personally find it excessive for a break in if done carefully and methodically JMHO:

Last edited by TUCCI; 07-06-2013 at 05:33 PM.