Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which Touring Model to Choose?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 08:35 PM
touring4two
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Touring Model to Choose?

My current ride is a 2008 GoldWing. My ONLY complaint about my Wing is the leg position. I've been riding for over 30 years. My last three bikes where Goldwings, but with both knees now being replaced, I am looking for something with better leg position. I've never had an HD.

I also want something American Made so It's Harley or Victory. I'm not looking to compare the Goldwing to a Harley Tourer (apples to oranges), just want to know a little about the HD Touring models from the people that ride them.

I am looking for all day comfort for the rider and passenger. If anyone here also has or has had an 1800 Goldwing for any length of time there input would be greatly appreaciated.

I pull a trailer once in a while with my Wing so that would also be something to consider. I spend allot of time on the highway so it has to be smooth and stable at highway speeds.

Thanks in advance.

Old 05-12-2012, 08:44 PM
zoozoo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 31,323 Likes on 8,402 Posts

FLHTCU nice ride for long trips.

Old 05-12-2012, 08:50 PM
AZdryheat
Road Captain
Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

Keep your Wing, there is nothing better for the road AND pulling a trailer. I also ride a 2008 Wing and pull a tent trailer with no effort. But, if you must, then an Ultra Classic would be your best choice. Add bling and get the Ultra Limited. And to have GW power get the CVO. But since you already have lots of time on a Wing you may just be a little spoiled already.

Last edited by AZdryheat; 05-12-2012 at 08:58 PM.
Old 05-12-2012, 08:54 PM
TOUR'N
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just sold my 2008 Wing, and bought a 21012 FLHTK. I've got about 3,000 miles on it now. Have made trips to Darlington, SC, and Charleston, SC. I find I'm not as fatigued while riding the HD. The leg position is different, but you'll still want some highway pegs. The seats not a "sofa", but I find it more comfortable than the Wings. I'm 5' 11" FYI. Hope this helps.

Old 05-12-2012, 09:08 PM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,301 Likes on 781 Posts

If your only complaint is leg position, I'm pretty sure that can be fixed on the Gold Wing. I seriously doubt you will be happy with the Ultra after the Wing. You should go ride the Ultra Limited. I have a feeling you will be very disappointed with the power, or lack of.

Old 05-12-2012, 09:12 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 307 Likes on 199 Posts

I've owned four wings, two converted to trikes. I left the wing for the same reason, it killed my knees and hip...plus I'm just a Harley guy....and I tried everything from Hwy pegs to MickOPegs...nothing really helped..

As what to go with? I would suggest you check with a few local dealers and see when the demo fleet will be there, my dealer just had it this weekend. You can test ride any model you,like.

For me, the Ultra Classic or Road Glide Ultra would be the obvious choice. You would get the CB radio, intercom, AM-FM radio, luggage space ( more than the wing) etc....plus I've pull many trailers with my Ultras without issue..

Good luck with you choice.

Old 05-12-2012, 09:14 PM
azblackbird
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ride them all...

I suggest you ride them all and go from there, as you're the one who is going to have to live with your decision. I change bikes like I change underwear. Each one has/had it's own personality. One year I may be riding an HD, next year could be a Wing, next year may be a Concours, and the next may be a KTM 990. I guess it all depends on what mood I'm in, as I'm not married to any one bike or brand. I'd have them all if I had the $$$ and Jay Leno's warehouse to keep them in.

FWIW... I did enjoy my Wing, but it could be a somewhat cramped ride if you're tall like I am. I got used riding on it, vs. riding in the HD. However, being a traditionalist, I went back to an Ultra again just cause I like the "old schoolness" of the HD brand. Of course, all that could change in the next year.

Last edited by azblackbird; 05-12-2012 at 09:17 PM.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:19 PM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,301 Likes on 781 Posts

Originally Posted by azblackbird
I suggest you ride them all and go from there, as you're the one who is going to have to live with your decision. I change bikes like I change underwear. Each one has/had it's own personality. One year I may be riding an HD, next year could be a Wing, next year may be a Concours, and the next may be a KTM 990. I guess it all depends on what mood I'm in, as I'm not married to any one bike or brand. I'd have them all if I had the $$$ and Jay Leno's warehouse to keep them in.

FWIW... I did enjoy my Wing, but it could be a somewhat cramped ride if you're tall like I am. I got used riding on it, vs. riding in the HD. However, being a traditionalist, I went back to an Ultra again just cause I like the "old schoolness" of the HD brand. Of course, all that could change in the next year.

I don't see how in the world it could get any better than this pic for touring. This rig has it all, very nice. Bet your sorry you sold that!

Old 05-12-2012, 09:25 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 307 Likes on 199 Posts

Last edited by Casper; 05-12-2012 at 09:29 PM.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:42 PM
azblackbird
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KCFLHRC
I don't see how in the world it could get any better than this pic for touring. This rig has it all, very nice. Bet your sorry you sold that!
Unfortunately I didn't have a chance to sell it... I totaled it and the trailer in Memphis TN. There wasn’t a single piece of plastic left on either the bike or trailer that wasn’t cracked, shredded, or broken. Kinda the reason why I went back to the HD. I needed a good reason to slow down. I rode the Wing like I rode my crotch rockets.

Quick Reply: Which Touring Model to Choose?