Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which Touring Model to Choose?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 05:31 AM
Afishinado
Road Master
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Interesting thread. I am thinking about a RG as my next bike after hearing how it handles the wind better than my Road Kings do. Guess I'll have to experience one.

Old 05-14-2012, 06:49 AM
touring4two
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to all. You've given me allot to think about. I wasn't sure what to expect being a Goldwing rider asking questions on a HD forum. I have been pleasently surprised, not one member on this forum was interested in bashing the wing, just good advice and info about what to consider in my search for a new touring bike. I am a member of a Goldwing forum that has had Harley riders asking questions about the Goldwing and there was always somebody more interested in giving his uneducated opinion about the quality of Harley Davidson motorcycles than helping a fellow rider answer there questions.

I will follow the advice given here and find the demo fleet in my area and ride the different touring models. Then most likely rent one for a weekend. I guess there are only two that I am interested in... The Road Glide Ultra and the Electra Glide Ultra.

Thanks again and If I end up with one of those two I will be back with more questions.

Old 05-14-2012, 10:27 AM
harleybill2008
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have to agree with the others, try all the models before you buy. There is probably a huge difference between the rides of harleys and goldwings and you may not like the difference and it's too important a purchase to mess it up. If I was buying on pure riding, dependability and power I would probably go victory, honda and then harley. The fact that I don't like the looks or sound of either of the others (maybe one victory) outweighs the benefits either might have over the harley. The other thing with harleys is that to get it to really fit your riding style you might have to go aftermarket and change out seats, bars or other items that might be fine on the others. Just saying they make the harley 'customizable' by making it less than what it should be from the factory. Good luck on whatever you decide on.

Old 05-14-2012, 10:58 AM
longrideshields-1
Premium Sponsor
Received 86 Likes on 50 Posts

+1 on trying them. You definitely want to have the bike that best for YOU. Good luck on the choice!

General Inquiries:
Info@LongRideShields.com
Sales and Marketing:
Sales@LongRideShields.com
Phone:

Old 05-14-2012, 11:40 AM
Timmy B
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: 12 year, Colombia, 4 years Mexico, currently In Kuwait, but Boston is HOME!!
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Had a goldies for years and went to Ultra limited. I dont know about pulling a trailer, but I was never more happy with the bike. Very nimble, after some minor upgrades on exhaust, air and EFI change the bike ran even more smooth. I did have some fuel problem at the start but the dealer took care of it right away.

Goldwings are a great bike and they served me well for years, as a bike enthusiast, I love all bikes and would not get into the debate over biker this and biker that. If you ride two wheels your in it for the same reason as I am.
You could just put some highway pegs on the goldwing, I am sure you already have and they too are a bit awkward being on outsiide of the fairing. The HW pegs are as well on the outside of the lowers on my classic, but the seating postion and where the floor boards sit is far better than the gold wing postion.

You will not get the power on a 103 of the lot like the gold wing, but it will be far more comfortable. 600 miles a day I have pulled and not been nearly as tired at the end, I could have gone for more if I had to, but beers were calling.
good luck with your purchase, whatever you decide to do. shinny side up.

Attached Thumbnails Which Touring Model to Choose?-mail-1-.jpg