Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which Touring Model to Choose?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 09:49 PM
azblackbird
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Casper

Nice rigs! Looks like you may have known John Preston pretty well.

I'll probably be picking up one of the "retro" Bushtecs sometime this summer. They're pretty sweet looking trailers.

Last edited by azblackbird; 05-12-2012 at 09:52 PM.
Old 05-12-2012, 10:02 PM
Timmy B
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: 12 year, Colombia, 4 years Mexico, currently In Kuwait, but Boston is HOME!!
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I went from a goldwing to a limited and I have never been more comfy! there are a number of things to do to improve the ride, but right offf the floor the stock bike is very nice. I was very surprized!

Old 05-12-2012, 10:06 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 307 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by azblackbird
Nice rigs! Looks like you may have known John Preston pretty well.

I'll probably be picking up one of the "retro" Bushtecs sometime this summer. They're pretty sweet looking trailers.
Been lucky, bought mine used....second Bushtec...I like them, and yeah, the Roadstar is nice, not as much storage as the Quatum, but enought for us...

Old 05-12-2012, 11:04 PM
zoozoo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 31,323 Likes on 8,402 Posts

They must have improve goldwings since I owned one. I had a 1989 and it handled like an 18 wheeler. Top heavy, rain hot as hell in hot weather, and took a 40 acre field to turn around.

Old 05-12-2012, 11:27 PM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 464 Likes on 360 Posts

............ gawd that's a big windshield.

Originally Posted by azblackbird

Old 05-13-2012, 08:27 AM
heavymetalthunder
Grand HDF Member
Received 598 Likes on 435 Posts

I had a 2008 Wing traded it one a Road Glide. To me only 1 big Harley is even slightly comparable to a 1800 Wing and that's a Road Glide Ultra. It has a fixed fairing like the wing. You get more air from the RG than the wing which is a good thing. Just do some motor work to the HD and it has plenty of power for touring, just realize its not as fast as a stock Wing. The Handling won't be as responsive either but its not a sports bike.
I miss my Wing But I don't ride long distance enough to justify having another 1.
I've had other brands of bikes but Harley touring bikes are the best for me.

Old 05-13-2012, 08:39 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 267 Likes on 226 Posts

If I buy another bike, it will be an Ultra. Wings are great & I respect other people's opinions about them, but they ain't for me.

Old 05-13-2012, 09:45 AM
Chunker
Road Warrior
Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts

For real touring on an HD you will need one with the Tourpak. SG and RK are nice but you will miss the fixed storage. I like having stuff with me.

Old 05-13-2012, 10:22 AM
touring4two
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the replies and helpful info. I would like nothing better than to try the different touring models, then rent one for a trip for a good feel and a better idea if that model would fit me. Unfortunately test rides seem to be out of the question at my local dealer. I can rent anything in their rental fleet, however they dont carry every model and the rental could be two or more years old. In 2008 before I purchased my current bike, I sat on an the fork mounted fairing version (classic ultra I think). I asked if I could test ride it and was told I would have to rent one. The rental was two years old and had a smaller engine and lacked any other improvements the new models had. I'm not sure why this dealer wont allow test rides or even if that has changed since. I was able to get two test rides on a new wing.

I figure I will rent a road glide ultra first, then perhaps a classic ultra. I've put any number of combinations of highway pegs on the wing looking for the sweet spot and in 50,000 plus miles I have been unsuccessful finding it. Love the power when I am passing an 18 wheeler and the wife doesn't want me to get rid of the wing, but I need to find something we both can be comfortable on. I don't ride my wing like a couch rocket like a few guys I know do. I want to enjoy the ride. I have no desire to get where I'm going as fast as I can, I'm not saying I hold up traffic, but I don't need to be scraping parts on corners to enjoy the ride.

Here is what I know from reading and my very limited seat time on the classic ultra so far. The fairing mounted (bat wing) unloades the front end at speeds over 85mph. The shark nose fairing on the road glide is closer to what I'm used to. The Classic Ultra has less room on the riders and passangers seat than the wing, and the seat height on the Classic Ultra and the 1800 wing are very close.

I did have a chance to test ride a Victory Cross Country Tour. It sported a 110 cu/in power plant that seemed to have adequate power and I really liked the foot/leg position, but got much more wind than on my wing.

Old 05-13-2012, 10:34 AM
touring4two
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zoozoo
They must have improve goldwings since I owned one. I had a 1989 and it handled like an 18 wheeler. Top heavy, rain hot as hell in hot weather, and took a 40 acre field to turn around.
Ive had a 1983 1100 interstate, a 1989 1500,and now a 2008 1800. The 1500's were heavy and hard to handle at slow speeds. The 1800's feel lighter and more responsive than 1500's but the 1500' offer more room for taller riders.Never had any trouble with any of them running hot. But the boxer six power plant limits leg position, thus the reason I look for a different bike.

Quick Reply: Which Touring Model to Choose?