Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm a convert - Ohlins shocks

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 06:48 PM
AlanStansbery
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Default I'm a convert - Ohlins shocks

(This is long as hell... I don't know how to cut it down without leaving out significant data.)

I have a 2004 Road King Custom. I had after-market shocks installed.

These shocks were a marked step up from the stock air-shocks. My bike comes stock 'lowered' 1" in the rear. So if anything, the stock air-shocks (being 1" shorter than the other shocks in the Road King family) were at a disadvantage from the git-go.

Though the after market shocks were good, they still left something to be desired. I weigh 215 pounds and carry about 10 pounds of 'gear' normally in my hard bags.

With my former shocks, when I adjusted the pre-load to give me a smooth ride, I'd bottom out on certain bumps in the road (not even particularly big ones). But if I adjusted the pre-load to make the shocks 'stiffer', even small bumps had a 'jarring' aspect, the effect of which I'd feel in the form of a sore back immediately after getting off the bike. The soreness dissipated quickly, but it was still a concern to me. At any setting greater than the least amount of pre-load, every moderate to large bump in the road provided a small 'jolt' to my back and spine.

I ended up running with minimum pre-load, satisfied to bottom-out occasionally when I hit larger bumps. I never had a concern I'd lose control or otherwise suffer any significant damage (to me or the bike), so the bottoming-out was a minor inconvenience. I rode this way for most of two years...

For the past 6 months to a year, I've been reading the glowing posts here about the Ohlins shocks. Frankly I wondered what Kool-Aid Howard was giving the boys to make them so fanatical about 'his' product. I was skeptical. The reports seemed too...

Still. The good reports just kept coming. Being familiar with Ohlins for sport bikes, I was intrigued that they made a shock for HDs. Looking ahead to doing some 'serious' touring in the coming few years, I decided to see what the Ohlins were about. I figured I could sell them if they sucked, so would only be out a few hundred bucks worst-case.

I ordered the 3-3 model. Howard provides a discount to hdforums.com members. He provides an additional discount if you publish a 'review' of a learning experience, product you like (or don't like), or other 'informational' article that can be of benefit to our forum members. (I chose to write about a racing school that impressed me). The shocks are not cheap. But these combined discounts reduce the OTD cost pretty significantly.

Howard asks to participate (via phone) in the installation of his product. I had planned to do this, but the timing didn't work out. I wound up using his instructions to install the shocks on my own, reporting back to him the procedure I'd used so he could critique it and correct any deficiencies. There were none. I found the instructions to be pretty good. I can be a nit-picker, so there's some room for improvement in the instructions (according to my sense of such things.) But overall, between the written instructions Howard provides and the literature Ohlins provides, there's more than enough information to get you through the installation without issues. I read through the instructions a couple of times prior to beginning the installation. Having changed shocks before, there was nothing very earth-shattering about the installation process.

The shocks were set up, out of the box, pretty dang good. Today I rode about 50 miles--over well-known bumps and around well-known curves--and the only change I made was to back off the pre-load about 2mm (two full turns).

The 'jarring' I had with the former product is no longer there. These shocks are 'firm'--but they aren't 'harsh'. I get a smooth, compliant ride--without bottoming out. (I ran over bumps I knew I'd have bottomed-out on, with the former shocks. No such thing with these). I told Howard it doesn't feel like my Harley. (Note: However, it IS still a Harley. I think the prior shocks added-to some of the other negative characteristics of the chassis, e.g., tendency of the rear end to 'rear-steer' in hard cornering, and tendency of the chassis to 'snake' when transitioning to the lean/turn abruptly (as you would if you were...uh, racing). These elements remain, though are not as pronounced. My guess is the part that's been 'erased' was due to the shock-absorbers. But keep in mind I'm sure no expert about such things, and that's just a guess.)

Summation: It's wholly subjective, but if the stock shocks are the baseline, the after market (non-Ohlins) I had were 50% better than that...and the Ohlins, 50% better than that, again.

The downside is, these shocks are a couple hundred bucks more than the best price you can get on Progressive 940's. (But that's strictly a 'wallet' thing. In terms of performance, for me the additional cost has been justified by the additional performance).

Another downside (or upside, depending how you view it) is, there's a lot of adjustability built-into these shocks. If you're a 'tweaker' (no, not that kind) you could get immersed in experimentation. For example, as I sit here I'm fully satisfied with the current ride the shocks provide. I'm happy. Yet...I'm wondering how much better can I make them...

Howard is a crusty ol' Jarhead. He's usually polite, and always likable. But he's very straight-spoken and doesn't pull his punches. I like the man. I believe there are quite a few others who feel the same. His product is certainly outstanding as is his customer support.

If you're on-the-fence about trying the Ohlins, then here's another positive experience with them (and Howard) for you to consider.

Alan

Last edited by AlanStansbery; 05-12-2012 at 06:54 PM.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:07 PM
shadowchaser
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm only 250 miles into the break-in with it set up for 70% 2-up, but so far, even having only ridden solo, I am very pleased. I can only imagine how it will perform when I get it zeroed in. I've never felt like I'm very good at noticing "small details," but I can tell a difference already. I'm very happy with my purchase!

Old 05-13-2012, 12:48 AM
mike_oh
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I have about 900 miles on my 3-3's and they are great! It does not feel like the same bike. The ride is very smooth and cornering is even better and way more stable. Took a few adjustments on the rebound settings to get it right. No more back jarring or being bucked off the seat!!

Old 05-13-2012, 05:56 AM
tj316
Stellar HDF Member
Received 480 Likes on 126 Posts

When I put my #3-#3's on , after break in and adjustment I thought I had the best ride I could ever get , I adjusted one more time and it got better , these shocks are amazing

Old 05-13-2012, 06:01 AM
smokindave
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Yesterday I rode with some friends about 150 miles after adjusting my rebound just one click on my 3-3 Ohlins. That one click put the suspension at a sweet spot that is hard to explain to someone that is running the stock shocks.

Having ridden some of these same roads before I knew the route, even where some of the bumpy sections were. That one click smoothed out the bumps to the point of being non-existent and made for one of the best rides yet on my Ohlins.

I am also a convert to these shocks and to those that run stock shocks I can only say, you don't know what you are missing. One of the best investment's I have ever made on any bike.

Thanks Howard!

Old 05-13-2012, 07:39 AM
dan conner
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

how do the ohlins compare to the h-d premium shocks...cost and performance?

Old 05-13-2012, 07:52 AM
RFG7680
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,280 Likes on 733 Posts

I'm still running the stock shocks and am on fence about which way to go. But this post was extremely helpful. Thanks.

Old 05-13-2012, 08:13 AM
lonerider2
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

But your lifetime warranty will not give you a free rebuild. I was at a Ohlin's open house in Hendersonville,NC yesterday and the sales manager told me a rebuild would run me about $225.00 said just like engine you have to change oil to maintain and rebuild at around 20,000 miles!

Old 05-13-2012, 08:30 AM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by lonerider2
But your lifetime warranty will not give you a free rebuild. I was at a Ohlin's open house in Hendersonville,NC yesterday and the sales manager told me a rebuild would run me about $225.00 said just like engine you have to change oil to maintain and rebuild at around 20,000 miles!
So what? And you are worried about maintenance every 20K? Sheeesh.

Old 05-13-2012, 08:49 AM
ScottyPotty
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how much are these?

Quick Reply: I'm a convert - Ohlins shocks