Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

true duals....python or drago or V&H

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 12:00 PM
road glide o8
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default true duals....python or drago or V&H

I am looking at changing to true duals on stock 2008 road glide..

currently running python slip ons.. i will keep them for now...see what they sounds like with diff exhaust... i had python longs shots on my wideglide...so i went with them on this bike..

looking any info on what people might know between python and drago and V&H head pipes..

much sound or performance difference between the 3?
any put out less heat than other.....stock setup cooks my leggs....better since i put heat shields for my leggs....but still HOT !!

Old 05-12-2012, 12:17 PM
Uncle Paul
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Just had this same situation. My rear exhaust manifold broke, and I used that as an excuse to go to Vance and Hines true duals. Got rid of that down tube from right side, and that reduced much of the heat.

I kept the Vance & Hines slip ons, and just added the pipes.

Bike runs cooler, sounds much deeper and a bit louder, and passenger gets a bit less heat too.

Only cost me $100 more than just replacing the exhaust manifold, and I like the look much better without the down tube.

I had a fuel controller and got a fresh set of settings from V&H. Only have a few hundered miles on it, but am pretty happy.

It seems as though I lost a bit of low end torque with the true duals. Might need to revisit the new settings.

No experience with the other brands.

Old 05-12-2012, 12:24 PM
ocezam
Road Master
Received 97 Likes on 63 Posts

Don't buy any headers that don't have ceramic coating inside and out. You won't get any heat mitigation w/o it. I run Rush true duals:

http://www.directharleyparts.com/exh...ng-p-3954.html

Old 05-12-2012, 12:52 PM
Fire-Medic
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Of the three you listed I would go with Drago's because they're ceramic coated inside and out, AND they have the O2 sensor bungs in both sizes, so if you ever change your mind on tuners and go with sideband sensors you're covered. Also Frank is a great guy to deal with.

Just my $0.02

Old 05-12-2012, 12:58 PM
RichardH
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by road glide o8
I am looking at changing to true duals on stock 2008 road glide..

currently running python slip ons.. i will keep them for now...see what they sounds like with diff exhaust... i had python longs shots on my wideglide...so i went with them on this bike..

looking any info on what people might know between python and drago and V&H head pipes..

much sound or performance difference between the 3?
any put out less heat than other.....stock setup cooks my leggs....better since i put heat shields for my leggs....but still HOT !!
I just installed the V&H Dresser Duals (1802-0086) with the Python BackSlash slip-ons (1801-0183) last night on my 09 Electra Glide. Am running the S/E air cleaner kit. Also uploaded the TTS map (CTD205-03). Started up the bike last night and it sounds great. Low deep sound. Of course its louder than stock. No problem fitting the Dresser Duals on the bike. Will find out today how loud they really are but I don't think they will be to loud. Am looking forward to getting rid of the high heat issue burning my inside right leg I have always used V&H and Python products on my bikes. No complaints, no popping and good chrome. Theres lots of discussion out there about the true duals vs. 2-1-2 vs. 2 into 1 systems.
http://www.harley-performance.com/harley-exhaust.html

http://www.vanceandhines.com/store/t.../headers/16749

http://www.pythonperformance.com/pro...roduct%2F79956

Old 05-12-2012, 01:02 PM
road glide o8
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Fire-Medic
Of the three you listed I would go with Drago's because they're ceramic coated inside and out, AND they have the O2 sensor bungs in both sizes, so if you ever change your mind on tuners and go with sideband sensors you're covered. Also Frank is a great guy to deal with.

Just my $0.02
i am looking at these because olts of people have vance and hines of course...since harley pushes so much...LOL

liked python i had on wide glide and heard lots of good things here about drago and frank

any input on anything i should be looking at besides drago? right now they are the frontrunner...cant complain about there prices either and feedback on there customer support on many threads i have read..

Old 05-12-2012, 01:23 PM
tj316
Stellar HDF Member
Received 480 Likes on 126 Posts

I've dealt with Frank Drago on many occasions , he is a stand up guy , I know several guys running his Dragula with a ghost pipe and his true duals , all are happy

Old 05-12-2012, 02:19 PM
xcelr8
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Never could figure out why riders want to lose all that low end torque by shifting to true duals. The back pressure is needed, that's why they are not offered by Harley.
And we all know that Harley would never hesitate to offer them if a buck was to be made.

Old 05-12-2012, 02:48 PM
PhoneGuy-MI
Tourer

Originally Posted by xcelr8
Never could figure out why riders want to lose all that low end torque by shifting to true duals. The back pressure is needed, that's why they are not offered by Harley.
And we all know that Harley would never hesitate to offer them if a buck was to be made.
1 - sound
2 - reduce heat
3 - increased housepower
4 - looks
5 - envy of those that have all of the above

Old 05-12-2012, 02:52 PM
xcelr8
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PhoneGuy-MI
1 - sound
2 - reduce heat