Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS saved my butt

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 08:24 PM
DRL1950
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ABS saved my butt

Got my new Ultra Limited about two weeks ago and while the ABS did figure in my decision to trade my Deluxe for it that was not the overriding factor. This morning it saved my butt. Was making a right hand turn and was following a cage in front of me. What I did not see was a squirrel that ran out in the road in front of the cage, she then decided that it was more important to miss the squirrel even if it meant that my face would be planted on her trunk. Hit both brakes hard and the ABS did its job, stopped short and never locked up. Without the ABS I have no doubt that both wheels would have locked up and I would have gone down. I know there are many opinions on this, just wanted to relate my experience, I am now a believer!

Old 05-11-2012, 08:28 PM
racngrn
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good ending. Pretty wild when the ABS "kicks in". Scared me the first time with the banging. I had some earlier issues with the front brake that was diagnosed as a rouge tiny air bubble. It has gooten better ( or I have adapted to it). In either case, works well when it should. Guess that's why folks swear by it.

Old 05-11-2012, 08:33 PM
zoozoo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 31,443 Likes on 8,420 Posts

I will never buy another scoot without it!

Old 05-11-2012, 08:42 PM
JetD
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default +2 abs

Similar experience.
Approaching an intersection where the cross traffic had a stop sign. I slowed slightly and covered the brakes. The woman cager approaching from my left looked me right in the eyes and didn't even slow down -- let alone STOP!!!
She ran right through without even a change in expression, let alone speed.
Fortunately for me, I had slowed slightly in preparation, covered the brakes -- and hit 'em hard.... ABS kicks in and saves me and the bike!!!

Like others, I've heard the pros/cons -- but for me, the only way to go.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:39 PM
Devo6684
Road Captain

Originally Posted by DRL1950
Got my new Ultra Limited about two weeks ago and while the ABS did figure in my decision to trade my Deluxe for it that was not the overriding factor. This morning it saved my butt. Was making a right hand turn and was following a cage in front of me. What I did not see was a squirrel that ran out in the road in front of the cage, she then decided that it was more important to miss the squirrel even if it meant that my face would be planted on her trunk. Hit both brakes hard and the ABS did its job, stopped short and never locked up. Without the ABS I have no doubt that both wheels would have locked up and I would have gone down. I know there are many opinions on this, just wanted to relate my experience, I am now a believer!
Good to hear! This is one of the reasons I traded my RK for the Limited. Thanks for sharing!

Old 05-11-2012, 09:47 PM
Pattrolling
Advanced
Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

We gotta get out there and practice braking...activating the ABS with that 80/20 front and rear brake. I practice at 30 to 40 mph every time I take out the bike. Helps me gauge stopping distance and feel comfortable with the ABS. It also helps me keep the threshold between ABS and regular braking.

Old 05-11-2012, 10:02 PM
DeneFXDWG
Road Warrior
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

Glad you scored right on this event! In my opinion, every bike should have ABS and everybody should have to wear a helmet, but that's another topic in itself. Guess tax payers have nothing better to spend their money on people who crash and miraculously survive without wearing their helmets. ABS is the best we can do in the braking factor.

Old 05-11-2012, 10:20 PM
zoozoo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 31,443 Likes on 8,420 Posts

Originally Posted by DeneFXDWG
Glad you scored right on this event! In my opinion, every bike should have ABS and everybody should have to wear a helmet, but that's another topic in itself. Guess tax payers have nothing better to spend their money on people who crash and miraculously survive without wearing their helmets. ABS is the best we can do in the braking factor.
You know that kind of talk can be cared a little bit further. There are many who think if we were to band motorcycles period it would save the tax payers some money.

Old 05-11-2012, 10:26 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,357 Likes on 2,536 Posts

Originally Posted by zoozoo
You know that kind of talk can be cared a little bit further. There are many who think if we were to band motorcycles period it would save the tax payers some money.
yeah, and as long as we're banning motorcycles, lets go even further. french fries are a national health risk, that affect more people than the small population that rides motorcycles. ban em i say!!!!

Old 05-11-2012, 10:33 PM
jayray
Tourer

I have abs. I also have riding sense. You can't trust a cage. I have been riding since drum brakes and the only constant IS!! They are trying to kill you. It is up to you to not crash. Abs is not a crutch. Ride Smart.

Quick Reply: ABS saved my butt