Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Modulator for Spots on an Electra Glide...

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2012 | 12:56 PM
JAFMLC
|
Stage I
Default Modulator for Spots on an Electra Glide...

... I seem to recall seeing a model online a year or so back that allowed for the spots on an Electra Glide to modulate/wigwag/etc.

I saw the HD modulator at the local shop and liked it's simplicity, but would love to have my spots gets people's attention.

My bike is pearl white and from behind I look like a LEO... the modulating spots would seem to help me split lanes easier than a modulating headlight.

Thoughts?

Old 05-12-2012 | 12:06 AM
JetD
Road Captain
Default Go for it...

I'm interested in the results of your experiment.... though may be quite difficult to measure. The theory sounds worth testing. Good luck.

Old 05-12-2012 | 12:49 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member

If you know what you are doing, you could build with off the shelf relays etc.

for simplicity you could buy a wig wag modulator on ebay.

BUT- halogen lights do not like low voltage or pulsations in voltage, it reduces the service life.

2.) when you are lane splitting it is on you to be safe and prudent- that how the law is written and in a collision you are at fault- it is generally allowed to ride up to 10 MPH faster than other traffic, to a max of 35 MPH

If you roll up with a bunch of lights flashing traffic will likely close up rather than make way- I am amazed at how many freeway drivers watch for us and will make way, I've even seen drivers pull their big ol' mirrors in

Mike ( an experienced & big fan of lane splitting)

Old 05-12-2012 | 06:19 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Default modulator

I have been running a modulator on my flood lamps for several years. I can tell you first hand that a modulator works great for getting peoples attention. Wig Wag is illegal, pulsating a pair of lights is not. With the eye to turn off the modulation at night (also illegal) the lights increase your frontal signature recognition. I would never have a bike without them.

Old 05-12-2012 | 05:40 PM
Ultra89Rider
Road Warrior

One important thing to remember is the Federal law that allow the Headlight modulation does not apply to the spotlights.
It specifies the Headlight only. Also the regulation requires several things that make it illegal to just wire any light to go on and off.
  • FMVSS 108 (Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards) (49 CFR Part 571.108 S7.9.4.1) A headlamp on a motorcycle may be wired to modulate either the upper beam or the lower beam from its maximum intensity to a lesser intensity.
  • Click here to see the regulation.
All it takes is one cop that knows the Federal law to stop you and your busted.
And just because you haven't been stopped, does not mean it is legal.

Last edited by Ultra89Rider; 05-12-2012 at 05:56 PM. Reason: Add link
The following users liked this post:
Chuck612 (05-31-2019)
Old 05-12-2012 | 05:45 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Ultra89Rider
One important thing to remember is the Federal law that allow the Headlight modulation does not apply to the spotlights.
It specifies the Headlight only.
  • S7.9.4.1 A headlamp on a motorcycle may be wired to modulate either the upper beam or the lower beam from its maximum intensity to a lesser intensity.
All it takes is one cop that knows the Federal law to stop you and your busted.
Ultra89Rider is correct and I forgot to say that I converted mine over to 4 1/2" headlights which I replaced mine with Adjure buckets and their headlamps. Headlamps are longer than the flood lamps that are in your OEM bike so you need to change the buckets out also.