Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wobble

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007 | 05:04 PM
woodeyewetzel
|
Tourer
Default Wobble

Help! I have a big problem. When taking a curve at about 75MPH on the Interstate my 05 Ultra starts to wobble and I almost go down. I have heard that there is something out there called fast track or what . Can a Bro gets some help.

Old 01-04-2007 | 05:19 PM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member
Default RE: Wobble

True Track.

Old 01-04-2007 | 05:57 PM
Harleypaw
Tourer

If that's happening, the tru-track is only masking a problem. If your getting wobble on curves or straights you have some type mechanical problem, some things to check, tires, pressure or cupping,wheels bent or out of round, then I would start looking at worn suspension components, steering head bearings, motor mounts, swing arm bushings, rear shocks

Old 01-04-2007 | 06:05 PM
Madav8tr
Road Captain

Wobble or wallow? I agree that a true wobble is most likely a mechanical issue but if your bike wallows a little during higher speed cornering there is nothing wrong with it. Every Harley I have ever ridden exhibits this and while it can be a little disconcerting, it shouldn't be so bad that you fear a crash from it.

Old 01-04-2007 | 06:10 PM
Harleypaw
Tourer

The words, (and I almost go down) struck me as a big problem.

Old 01-04-2007 | 06:19 PM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Harleypaw

If that's happening, the tru-track is only masking a problem. If your getting wobble on curves or straights you have some type mechanical problem, some things to check, tires, pressure or cupping,wheels bent or out of round, then I would start looking at worn suspension components, steering head bearings, motor mounts, swing arm bushings, rear shocks
That's good advice. I would get the root cause of the problem fixed, then think about adding a True Track. How many miles are on your bike? I've only ridden one other '05 bagger (happened to be an E-Glide Standard), but it felt rock solid in the corners at speeds like you describe. Did it do it once, or even in the same spot on the road? Could there be some grooves in the pavement where it happened? All things to consider, especially on such a late model bike.

Good luck

Old 01-04-2007 | 06:21 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member
Veteran: Army

This is a known problem and has been discussed in previous threads. Although some of the issues mentioned above can cause handling issues, the real fault is the ability of the swingarm to twist in it's rubber mounting. There are two devices used to address this, the Tru-Trac and the Ride Str8. This is a real issue, as evidenced by a class action law suit on behalf of riders who have gotten hurt. The Motor Company has been doing their regular shuck and jive around it, instead of accepting any responsibility. Just because some here have not experienced the wobble does not mean it does not exist.

Old 01-04-2007 | 07:06 PM
77Tulsa
Road Captain

http://www.ridestr8.com/Gives you better ground clearance from what I have been told! Check tire pressures 1st thing with the cold weather setting in!

Old 01-04-2007 | 07:33 PM
Kahuna
Road Master

This is not normal and should be looked into more closely! Most baggers should be able to do 75mph around the curve without wobbling. The Tru-Trak system is an add-on stability device, and should not be a factor here! I would definitely have the entire rear end inspected for potential mechanical and/or wear issues.

ORIGINAL: woodeyewetzel

Help! I have a big problem. When taking a curve at about 75MPH on the Interstate my 05 Ultra starts to wobble and I almost go down. I have heard that there is something out there called fast track or what . Can a Bro gets some help.

Old 01-04-2007 | 07:45 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member

If it just recently started,I would say its something on your bike and not a design flaw.It may have been happening for a while and now you are just noticing because more wear has accumulated.Road surfaces,worn or maybe damaged tires,weak fork springs,fluid level,maybe something you recently bolted on or carrying,mismatched alignment between frt and rear wheels,engine alignment,worn swingarm,wheel brgs,loose frt end hardware etc.All it takes is alittle here,alittle there and effects bike.Has bike been lowered?

Quick Reply: Wobble