Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wobble

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007 | 07:53 PM
SMenasco
Road Master
Default RE: Wobble

Beemervet is correct. I understand that the wobble is a high speed cornering characteristic of rubber-mounted engines. It has been said that HD can't admit to or fix the problem at this time because of theclass action suit against them. I saw full page ads in the newspapers at Sturgis referring to the problem. You will finda thorough explanation of the problem at www.true-track.com .

[IMG]local://upfiles/1638/94DA2BE7648D43DF88DE5E5726A08F1F.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-04-2007 | 08:16 PM
floridian46
Tourer

i had this happen with my 2001 flht.....i was going straight down the road and thought i had a flat tire.....

Old 01-04-2007 | 09:59 PM
easyglider
Road Warrior

whatever it is I would get it fixed cause if I was almost wreckin' there's a prob.

Old 01-04-2007 | 10:11 PM
woodeyewetzel
|
Tourer

Thanks for all the input. As some of you have stated the Motor Company does not think I have a problem. I had it checked out and was told I needed to adjust the steerinh head bearing. I did but nothing. It only has 13000 miles new tires and brakes.

Old 01-04-2007 | 10:25 PM
Big Cholla
Road Warrior

I second all the opinions about giving concern to the rear swing arm and its potential problems, but as a simple precautionary check, I would drain all the fork oil out and reinstall the next grade heavier weight. It is possible that the amounts of fork oil from side to side do not match and/or one side is contaminated and one is not. The other concern that I would have is a front axle bearing starting to wear out on one side only. Both items could and will lead directly to your symptoms. .............. BC

Old 01-05-2007 | 03:29 AM
LDrider
Cruiser

"The High Speed Wobble" at the heart of the controversy is a rare occurance that can happen unexpectedly to an otherwise solid handeling bike. If youexperience your wobble regularly or even often there isdefinitly something wrong and your problem is not attributable to the suspected FLH design flaw. I've had "The High Speed Wobble" happen twice on my '05 Classic but both times were at speedswell over 100 mph. I think it's a combination of factors wind, speed,road, etcthat can just add up againts you.

Old 01-05-2007 | 05:07 AM
The HalfBreed
Road Master

Many reasons for a Wobble.

Steering Head bearings loose ? Tires ? Balance ? Even the REAR tire can be the culprit of a front end wobble.
Like it was mentioned above....don't mask the problem....try to get to the root of the cause. Sometimes, even new tires help.

Old 01-05-2007 | 08:31 AM
99igor
Cruiser

I have that same problem. I have had this same sensation about three times now. It is not something I want to do again.

Here is what I am doing to fix the problem.

I already re adjusted the head bearings and replaced the front fork oil. (99 FLHTCI)
I purchased the ride str8 axle adjusters and the stablizer.

I am in the process of tearing down the rear swing arm (rear fork) and replacing the entire pivot assembly. The shaft, spacers bushings and so forth. The total for the replacement parts is around $200.00.

My bike has 50K on it now and needs this maintenance. The ride str8 products are being added for peace of mind.

Old 01-05-2007 | 10:06 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member

As most have said you may have bad bushings or alignment problems.The bottom line is your bagger should corner at 75 mph all on it's own.Another solution is STA-BO swing-arm bushing stabilizers.Beforeyou do anything,you should look into the reason why it is wobbling.Good Luck

Old 05-19-2007 | 10:08 AM
dchoran
Road Warrior

Could going from stock OEM air shocks on an '05 Ultra to WORKS Street TrackersDRS/ARS with springs cause wobble/sway at various speeds???

My scoot was solid as a rock until I switched the rear suspension. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Quick Reply: Wobble