Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

clutch lever not releasing smooth

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 09:27 PM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member
Received 367 Likes on 256 Posts
Default clutch lever not releasing smooth

I have noticed lately that when I let out my clutch lever slowly it's not smooth it kind of catches or jerks on and off as I release it from the grip. If I let it out faster it feels ok.
Tonight I decided to give it a bit more free play by the cable adjuster, and it came apart, it just ran out of threads. So I took the derby cover off and did a complete adjustment.
Still the same, to get the free play out of the lever by the cable, it runs out of threads and the lever still is not moving smooth. From the first day I got my King it has always had a very loud clunk from neutral to first. More then any other Harley in my group.
I run Amsoil 20-50 in the primary. I have been thinking of going to a non synthetic in the primary, think that would help? So what do you think? A trip to the dealer?

Old 05-10-2012, 09:32 PM
cncmike
Road Master
Received 251 Likes on 161 Posts

How old is the cable? It might be coming apart inside and be just about to break the last strand

Old 05-10-2012, 09:35 PM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 2,232 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Replace the cable first.

Old 05-10-2012, 10:34 PM
TheArchitect
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, the cable was my first thought as well. Do you keep it lubed? You might also spray some silicone lube in the clutch pin and pivot area, mine was making some noise and had a bit of a "hitch" to it that went away when I did that.

Old 05-10-2012, 10:38 PM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member

It's a 11 and the cable has been lubed. I wouldn't think a bike this new would have a bad cable already. I bet the cable is not covered under warranty because they will call it a normal wear item.
Tomorrow I'm changing the primary over the the Harley lube, and go from there.

Old 05-10-2012, 11:10 PM
g money
Account Retired
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I had the same problem on my last 3 new Harleys. Mobil-1 in the primary fixed it. Smooth as butter.

Old 05-11-2012, 01:38 AM
z71_fourwheelin
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Look at the cable where it goes near the steering neck. I experienced it being pinched there when the bike is parked which causes it to be pinched between triple tree and neck.

Old 05-11-2012, 06:06 AM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member

I cant find any binding in the cable, I can turn all the way left and right and it makes no difference.

Old 05-11-2012, 06:17 AM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If you're out of threads on the cable adjuster the cable is shot. Replace it. If you want a really smooth engagement change to a hydraulic clutch actuator.

Old 05-12-2012, 09:44 PM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member

Well I think I might have screwed my self by doing my own service.
I put some 3-in-one oil in the cable at the 1000 mile service. Then more at the 5000 service, around that time I first felt the clutch lever starting to feel sticky, but just a little.
This spring it felt like it was getting worse. So that's when I readjusted it and dropped more oil down in the cable and that's when I started this Thread.
Today one of the guys came over and tried it out, feels even more sticky now. I told him about the oil and he thinks on the newer Harleys you cant use oil in the cable, it has to be some kind of dry lube. I didn't think to look in to it because I used that oil in all my other bikes and never had problems.
I have a appointment at the Harley dealer for this Monday at 1PM to find out whats going on.
If my buddy is right I will be footing the $ to fix my bike. All the money I saved doing my own service may come back and bite me in the a$$.

Quick Reply: clutch lever not releasing smooth