Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

clutch lever not releasing smooth

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 10:15 PM
JidgeRides
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Teflon lined.

My clutch started to stick a little on my 02 E glide . I went home and took the cable out and I had 3 of the 19 strands of wires left before I got the surprise of my life. I replaced the cable with a new stock cable which I was told is teflon lined. I think all the new bikes have this now. It was a huge difference from my original. It almost felt like a hydraulic clutch ,it was so slick.
Good Luck

Old 05-12-2012, 11:54 PM
DJFireUSA
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jinks
If you want a really smooth engagement change to a hydraulic clutch actuator.
YUP - not the cheapest project but WELL worth it!!!

Did this on my 09 FLHPI.

The sticking or stiction you speak of drove me nuts and it had to go. I tested out 3 bikes at my local dealer to see if it was just a problem with my scoot or if it was just another Harley perk. YUP - Harley perk. Problem existed on both brand new bikes and used bikes. Even with an insanely over lubed cable, mine was still giving me crap.

Like I said, I changed over to hydraulic and am loving it. Nothing to adjust. Friction zone is in the exact same place every single time. No guesswork. Nice, smooth, linear clutch feel and use.

ALL harleys can run either a HD cable or HD hydraulic clutch setup. The hydraulic setup is part of Harley CVO department. You will also need the clutch switch for the hydraulic clutch (additional $30+ install).

If you want more info, let me know and I will get you part numbers and prices.

BTW - if you are getting a hydraulic clutch installed and have been considering adding reverse, get them both done at the same time and you will save a large chunk of change.

Tranny clunk -- used to have a significant one, now I do not have a clunk. Sounds like somebody setting down an empty beer mug on a wood table / bar but low volume.

Last edited by DJFireUSA; 05-12-2012 at 11:58 PM.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:18 AM
bagga
Elite HDF Member
Received 602 Likes on 352 Posts

every couple of years i take my clutch cable off and flush it with mineral spirits. you would be surprised what it looks like when it drains out.

Old 05-18-2012, 07:53 PM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member
Received 348 Likes on 241 Posts

Well I took it back to the dealer last Monday and they said it's a small bump in the metal of the clutch perch that is rubbing on the lever, they took me back to see it.
I didn't think it looked like much but it did make some sense. They put a bunch more oil in to the cable too. The new perch is on order and the warranty is covering it.
On the 50 mile drive home it seemed to get worse. Last night I filed off the little metal piece in the perch and it didn't help.
I'm riding with the guys Tomorrow and now it's to the point that if I try to take off from a stop slowly the lever sticks so bad it will stop coming out then suddenly pop out to my hand, then my bike will jerk like I have never drove a bike in my life. 'Embarrassing'
I did call them and they are holding a new clutch cable for my bike just in case it needs it, I think it will, but they still think it's the perch.
Seems the more oil that gets in to the cable the worse it gets.
If any one around Michigan sees a black RK with a driver that looks like a old Jerry Lewis movie when taking off,,,that will be me.

Old 05-18-2012, 09:01 PM
RHillbilly
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Try dri slide cable lube

Old 05-19-2012, 06:57 AM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by RHillbilly
Try dri slide cable lube
To late at this point for now. I have to let the dealer do it there way to get fixed under Warranty. Plus its so full of oil now I would need to take the cable off to get the oil out.
I've had 3 guys tell me not to lube the cable in the newer Harley because of some coating inside the cable, but the Manual states to add oil to it.
If it turns out to be the cable, I'm not going to lube it until it feels like it needs it.

Old 05-19-2012, 07:58 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by GPHDXLC
I've had 3 guys tell me not to lube the cable in the newer Harley because of some coating inside the cable, but the Manual states to add oil to it.
I have been lubing mine with Motion Pro cable lube every 5,000 miles like the SM says.No problems. I also use white lithium grease at the pivot.

Old 05-21-2012, 06:34 PM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member

I put about 200 miles on this last weekend and I never stalled her out, but I did take off a little jerky a few times. It didn't seem to get any worse I was thankful for that.
I have a appointment at 12:30 Tomorrow to have the new clutch perch installed. I know this won't fix it because I already took off that small bump in the metal on the old perch and it didn't help at all.
They set aside a new clutch cable but only because I called them up and ask them to do that.
now I will find out what kind of Service my dealer has. I think it must be a bad cable, I don't even know what spring pulls the lever back out, I assume it's in side the clutch. I would think if that spring was broke the lever would not pull back out at all...I will up-date what the fix was.

Old 05-24-2012, 05:18 PM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member

Last up-date,
Took it back today and just as a thought they had to install a new clutch cable. Now it works great. To bad I had to get on there a$$ 2 times to get it fixed right. In the end all is well, and no cost to me, but my time.

Old 05-24-2012, 05:38 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,744 Likes on 3,968 Posts

Little late now but while you were in primary and had the clutch adjustment locknut broken loose you should have screwed allen screw all way out . Then you could had slowly squeezed the clutch lever and got an idea of how the cable is. Lots of people think these cables should be lubricated but all that ends up doing is attracting crud. Maybe some cheap aftermarket cables require lubricating but new modern cables with the nylon inner liner are self lubrication. Be sure the small Teflon bushing is not warn out in the lever itself. Then check the cable. Any proper primary lubricant that meets Harley spec will give proper clutch action and in my opinion that would be the last thing I would think is causing your problem. Is the fluid proper and clutch stock?

Quick Reply: clutch lever not releasing smooth