Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Horn isn't working but works.... Read on...

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 04:16 PM
Blackroadking
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Horn isn't working but works.... Read on...

I have an 02 road king classic. My horn stopped working the other day for no particular reason. A friend of mine and I took the housing off around the horn button on the clutch side handle bar and sprayed some cleaner into the switch. The wired seem to be permanent into the horn so we couldn't remove them to clean any connection. He tested the end of the wires that connect to the back of the horny and they didn't pass. There seems to be no power heading into the horn from that end. However, there is a clicking sound down behind the horn when the horn button is pressed...so it seems there is some power passing from the button to the horn but no horn...

So we took the horn and tested it on an alternate power source and it works fine. The. We reinstalled and ran leads from the bikes batter to the horn and again, it worked fine. The wiring seems pretty complication since it goes from the handle bar and into the headlight casing and probably runs down through the frame....

I guess my questions is: anybody got any suggestions? Aside from taking it in to a dealer or a local guy for them to fix it after bending me over, I thought I'd check here to see if anyone has an experience with this same problem.

Is there anybody alive out there?!

Thanks
BLACKROADKING

Old 05-10-2012, 04:29 PM
Pops
Road Captain

You didn't happen to get water up in the horn itself. I did that once and it would not work at all. I took it off and that was lots of water inside. Good luck>

Old 05-10-2012, 04:42 PM
longrideshields-1
Premium Sponsor
Received 87 Likes on 51 Posts

You said horn works on another power source right? Doesn't sound like water then, that was going to be my first guess too, but sounds like you've ruled that out

General Inquiries:
Info@LongRideShields.com
Sales and Marketing:
Sales@LongRideShields.com
Phone:

Old 05-10-2012, 04:56 PM
Topcop
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same situation with mine. I would suggest that you check the voltage first. If it is "OK" I then would suggest spending about $40 for a new horn from the stealer. That's what it took to get mine working correctly again. Of course your mileage may vary. Happy trails...

Old 05-10-2012, 04:59 PM
redman2636
Cruiser

Did you just test continuity of the wire? The clicking you mentioned makes me think bad horn button not wire.

Old 05-10-2012, 05:02 PM
FNGonaRK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,116 Likes on 2,799 Posts

You have a wiring diagram? It sounds like the wires at the button are broken for the switch on the ground side of the circuit (no power would be required to the switch). It could be on a relay.

Old 05-10-2012, 05:15 PM
riteway
Extreme HDF Member
Received 988 Likes on 679 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Blackroadking
Is there anybody alive out there?!

Thanks
BLACKROADKING
Hum... .Well according to my heart beating....I'm Alive...Can't speak for anyone else though...Good Luck with your horn!!!

Old 05-10-2012, 07:47 PM
Blackroadking
5th Gear

Thanks all. Seems like a horn button connection too. The horn itself is fine. My friend said he thought the problem was in the button too. We took it off but couldn't reall access the actual connection. There's a spring there that put the button back in place but were weren't willing to take the actually spring out and examine the button on the inside. I may have to take it in because water isn't and issue, the horn does work, and there is some clicking down behind the horn when the button is pushed. When we ground the connection to the battery there was no action at those wire where they connect to the battery..but when the battery was connected, it worked. So I think lure probably right - the horn button is probably faulty. I'll do some more asking around at the shops I know around me and see if anyone has helpful info. Thanks guys. That was real helpful to read the suggestions.

Old 05-10-2012, 08:22 PM
Ragtop
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,013 Likes on 577 Posts

Can you get to the wires on the switch, and put a meter on them?
Set the meter to OHMS, and you can check the switch for continuity that way.

Old 05-10-2012, 10:17 PM
Blackroadking
5th Gear

Wires on the actual switched seemed a little difficult to access without taking the actually plastic encasement around the switch apart...we were prepared to do that. We metered the other end of the white where it connects to the horn..we sprayed the switch with connection cleaner, sanded the ends of the connection to clean them too but nothing happened...just the same clicking. It's harder to get to the actually wire connection under the switch where the connection is actually being made.

Quick Reply: Horn isn't working but works.... Read on...