Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Primary fluid level

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 04:06 PM
big TYME
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Primary fluid level

Changing out all 3 fluids on my scoot. Followed the manual to a tee. Filled tranny with 20oz and it reads over the full mark. No big deal. I'll just drain some out. My question is the manual says to add 32oz to the primary. Don't want to overfill this so how do I check the level on the primary. No time to search this as I'm in a hurry. Thanks for the feedback guys.

Old 05-10-2012, 04:13 PM
HTNHARD
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have the bike upright. Take derby cover off. fluid should be at the bottom of clutch pack. Just high enough to lube the assembly. I had to put more than the recommended 32oz to get it to the bottom of the clutch. Hope this makes sence.

Old 05-10-2012, 04:48 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 397 Likes on 339 Posts

easier:

bike on jiffy stand.

pour in lube until about 7/16"~1/2" from bottom of the clutch inspection hole in the primary.

put cover on and ride.

the primary lube spec is not crucial, the lube is for the chain and tensioner and for the clutch plates and discs. it is never pumped or under pressure, it just splashes around inside the primary case

the reason that HD gives no definative OZ spec is that the amount of fluid held by the clutch is unnown unless the assembly has been dismantled, cleaned and reassembled ( Dry).

Most of us just drain the fluid, work the clutch a few times to get some of the goop from between the plates and discs, put in the plug and pour ( wet).

you do not want to have so much fluid that the cover is "underwater" if the bike is on it's stand- it'll leak and be messy

mike

Old 05-10-2012, 06:26 PM
69cj
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Unless missed something it would really be nice to know the year and model of bike.

Old 05-10-2012, 06:56 PM
wlibert
Road Captain
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I fill mine to the point that the chain sitting on top of the tensioner is submerged in oil so it follows that the tensioner is submerged as well. Primary has been much quieter since using this method.

I swapped out my compensator for an SE compensator at about 9k miles and my tensioner was already showing some nice grooves cut in it so I swapped it out too and started filling to the level stated above.

Old 05-10-2012, 07:08 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

So the fact that the manual states not to overfill is not going to be mentioned or?

Old 05-10-2012, 07:16 PM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by HTNHARD
Have the bike upright. Take derby cover off. fluid should be at the bottom of clutch pack. Just high enough to lube the assembly. I had to put more than the recommended 32oz to get it to the bottom of the clutch. Hope this makes sence.
Yup. what he said. As long as it just barely touches the bottom of the clutch basket it will sling oil everywhere inside the primary, which is what you want. If you get too much oil in there it will actually make shifting a little bit harder because the spinning clutch pack has to "plow" all that excess oil.

Last edited by Retrop; 05-10-2012 at 07:19 PM.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:22 PM
drukanfu
Supporter
Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

would the viscosity weight of the oil in the primary change the hydraulic tensioner pressure ?

Old 05-10-2012, 07:26 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by drukanfu
would the viscosity weight of the oil in the primary change the hydraulic tensioner pressure ?
Spring and wedge, no hydraulic tensioning on the primary chain tensioner.

Old 05-10-2012, 07:40 PM
drukanfu
Supporter
Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by qtrracer
Spring and wedge, no hydraulic tensioning on the primary chain tensioner.
Yeah....thats right ! Senior moment I guess.

Quick Reply: Primary fluid level