Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did my good deed for the day.

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 11:29 AM
Hardly Dangerous
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Did my good deed for the day.

Saw a stranded biker on the side of the road and stopped in my car on the way home from work yesterday. It was just startin to get dark and he looked cold. Around this area it gets into the low thirty's at night. He said he hadn't riden his bike in a few weeks and said he had a tough time starting it and thought itmight bethe battery. The bike stalled on him and now his starter wouldn't turn over. I was going to give him a jump from my car but wasn't sure if it would do any damage. I know they are both 12 volt batterys but I decided to push him instead and we got it going. He was real happy cause even though he had a windshield he looked pretty cold. I have two questions. Could I have given him a jump from my car and after getting him started, if his battery was okay, how long would it take for his bike to recharge the battery? What actually charges our batterys, a stator? We don't have alternators or anything like that right?

Old 01-04-2007, 11:34 AM
coldmcrider
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Did my good deed for the day.

It's ok to jump a motorcycle with a car battery. Just make sure the car is not running.

Old 01-04-2007, 11:47 AM
FLGEEZ
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I looked this up in the MOM. Jump Starting is not recommended, but may be done. Turn Off radio if equipped and extra lighting. Use auto style cable placement. Dead Battery +to Booster Battery +, Booster Battery - to Dead Battery Bike Ground.

Documentation on my 96 FLHTCI states an alternator on board. Rate of charge is dependant on too many variables; cable corrosion, loose connections, bad grounds, but mostly the amp rating of the alternator and how many accessories are running while riding.

Don't meanto soundlike a K I All.

[IMG]local://upfiles/17522/49A85564F8474A4CB99E217459F60EC4.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-04-2007, 11:59 AM
berettag
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I made a jury rig jumper cables for bikes, for just such an occasion. Used a spare cigarette lighter plug (with a built in fuse) and extension cord. Cut off the plug and recepticle ends of the cord, soldered one end onto the cig. lighter plug and put two clip/clip connectors (small alligator clamps) on the other end. Now if needed I just plug into my cigarette lighter plug in my car, or fairing, and clip the other end onto the battery needing to get charged. Compact and works.

Old 01-04-2007, 03:44 PM
Primo
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No tech knowledge here.

Just wanted to say thanks for stopping.

That's what this whole brotherhood thing is all about.

Primo

Old 01-04-2007, 04:21 PM
Hardly Dangerous
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Primo

No tech knowledge here.

Primo
Thanks Primo but I was not looking for any kudos. This is not the first time I have stopped to help a brother. I just hope someone would stop for me in time of need.

Old 01-04-2007, 05:11 PM
Primo
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Hardly Dangerous

ORIGINAL: Primo

No tech knowledge here.

Primo
Thanks Primo but I was not looking for any kudos. This is not the first time I have stopped to help a brother. I just hope someone would stop for me in time of need.
Amen to that.

Primo

Old 01-04-2007, 05:25 PM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

I have learned "the hard way" that HD's - it the battery dies - meaning shorts out - not just low charge - the Bike becomes a 700 pound brick and No jump will get you going... the battery has to have some function... If the battery just runs down that is one thing but if your batter is two years or older - you may be riding on a prayer - I learned this on top of Tiaoga pass in Yosemite a few years back.... bike had a two year old battery... started just fine... on the way up the pass - it started to run real ruff, missing and sputtering... found that if I kept the RPM's down it was not as bad, but within a few miles it just stopped... battery Died.... jump would Not work.

Glad you stopped... My last breakdown (rear flat) on Highway 1 in CA, I had several bikers just ride past - I wish we had somesort of "sign" like a rag on mirror or something - I have stopped to offer help and was told, just resting....

Pass it forward....

Old 01-04-2007, 06:38 PM
berettag
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I still have the original battery in my 2000 Ultra!