Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Zipper 575 redshift cams failed

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 12:49 AM
zippo2
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zipper 575 redshift cams failed

Has anyone developed any issues with zippers 575 cams? I was recently on a road trip and had to stop in Ventura CA, HD location to check on why I was hearing some abnormal clinging and knocking. Final results after pulling the cam cover off and pulled out the gear cams to find an extreme flat spot on one of the lobes and another lobe starting to wear through. The metal shavings destroyed the oil pump, one of the lifters rollers had pitting and another starting to wear. There is some scoring in the casing. We haven't pulled the cylinder, pistons, rockers out yet and assuming the casing being scored. Basically The warranty is expired, and these cams have about 20,000 mile on them with 40000 on the bike. Could the tech that did the original install do a poor install or could the cams just be bad from the get go? I know it's hard to determine what failed first but none of this should have happen with only 20000 miles on the cams. I dont like the idea of having to find 5 to 6 grand for a new remanfuctured 103 for my 2005 cvo electric glide. I appreciate any feedback on this issue.

By the way at the Camarillo HD dealership, Charlie the service manager, Dave the technician, and Andy the Sales person were absolutely incredable with there service and diognostic. Those guys went over and beyond the call of duty making us feel comfortable since we had to leave the bike and rent a car to get home.

Old 05-09-2012, 06:09 AM
Gunnysgt
Grand HDF Member
Received 561 Likes on 272 Posts

You are about the third person I've heard that had issues with these cams. The first one is a service mgr at a Harley dealership. He switched to the Wood 777. They are know to be noisy and they are a flat sided cam to begin with, hence the noise they create. I almost went with that cam, luckily I waited and got the Wood 555

Old 05-09-2012, 08:22 AM
zippo2
Advanced

Thanks, sounds like there are a number of guys going with the woods 555 or 777.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:13 AM
Gunnysgt
Grand HDF Member
Received 561 Likes on 272 Posts

My bike is stock quiet at idle, no extra lifter noise and runs like a gazelle with his a$$ on fire. I also used the Wood directional lifters and SE adjustable pushrods. I often considered getting Zipper products, particularly since I live close by the source but after hearing so many sad stories from the guys that got the 575 cam and the ThunderMax ecm, I would not buy either. Many guys seem to be happy with the ThunderMax when they first get them but then start having issues with it. I hope yours is workin good. Just my opinion.

Old 05-10-2012, 12:39 AM
zippo2
Advanced

I wonder what issues the guys had with the zippers 575 cams? My thundermax gave me a problem a couple of years ago on a trip. After a few phone calls to the mfg, I had to perform an initialization cycle or what ever they call it, cycle the on and off switch 20 second intervals I believe five times to clear out the memory. The thundermax can have an issue if the bike gets an electrical power surge for some reason. I have had mine for about 5 years now and no problem since.
About my cams and the metal shavings the caused some scoring in the casing from the lifters I hope that when I get the bike back I can determine if my casing is not destroyed from the metal shavings circulating through everything from the cams. Is there anyone out there that had a similar problem. Im trying to figure out if a lifter got stuck for a second causing the cams to work hard, or if the push rods started the problem taping on the inside of the rocker box? Has zippers worked with some of the guys with these problems in replacement? Hope this works out without having to spend a fortune to fix or engine remanufacured. In any event I'll be looking at woods cams and directional lifters next time.

Old 05-10-2012, 06:17 AM
BigDaddyMike
Club Member

I just replaced my Andrews 37G s with Redshift 575 last week. No problems with the Andrews, just wanted a change. Very happy so far but too early to tell, will certainly be watching this thread though, sorry for your troubles

Old 05-10-2012, 06:47 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 1,841 Posts

I've had the 575's in my 08 since 2008. I'm happy with them so far and no issues. I also changed the gearing on the bike and run the SE comp, maybe it has to do with the sloppy HD crank who knows.

Old 05-10-2012, 02:54 PM
Jebster
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've the 575's in mine for the last 15 months, and so far no issues...