Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stage 1 or Stage None... Input please?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 09:28 PM
RK Joy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TUCCI
Sorry bout that....dang smart phones....like I was saying Ive still got the stock pipes and comtemplate putting back in. I really hate spending good money on an exhaust then they not quit make it but I may be asking too much?
I kept my stock mufflers too. In fact I still have them from my last bike. I was a little concerned about the Pythons but after hours of riding last weekend wearing my half-helmet with open ears, I think I am good! Drag Specialties does make a "quiet baffle" also but I don't think I'll be needing to go that route!

Thanks for your comments!

Old 05-09-2012, 09:35 PM
RK Joy
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by frog13
Yeah, like these guys said, no need to do it at a service interval, it's easy to do yourself, no need for the dealer download and it's good to do your research, know here you are ultimately headed and plan accordingly. I think all your other questions are answered on how it runs, idles, etc. Me, personally, at a minimum, I do air cleaner, exhaust and tuner instantly for performance and cooling. On the latest bike, I did all that and cams right away. It really is a matter of preference and what you want out of your bike. There are many bone stock rides out there and their riders are very happy with their performance. Some just add pipes for sound, some go for more performance, some go insane and go for it all, it jsut depends on your wants, needs and wallet. The thing to do is research and do it the way you want ....
Sounds like good advice frog... The message that seems to be coming across here is to do it, in my own time, and do it myself after some diligent research. I have never wrenched inside the engine cases but have done all my own maintenance, mods and upgrades and I know I can handle A/C and fuel management based on the tips here -- thanks.

Old 05-09-2012, 09:42 PM
RK Joy
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by TKDKurt
I bought my '11 RKC in December and am taking my time. Unlike my Sporty, I don't really have any complaints about the way the bike responds or handles. Ultimately, I will probably swap for some SE street legal slipons (I travel through alot of small towns and don't want to have to discuss my pipes with Barney Fife) and a SE air cleaner and do the download (no need for a tuner), but I'm in no hurry. I just had the 7500 mile done on mine.

I don't think there is a downside to a stage 1 like I describe above. It will probably net you a few extra horses and a little more torque. What I have seen on this forum over the years is that those that do more invasive mechanical changes chasing a perceived need for more performance are the guys that end up with issues eventually.
Yes, I resist doing the invasive stuff in an attempt to make my bike the fastest set of wheels on the street, because I know that will never happen. But if I can get a little more kick from safe/simple mods, I'm in!!

Old 05-09-2012, 09:49 PM
one-up
Road Warrior
Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts

I went the dealer not too long ago to have the Stage 1 done and I walked away. I couldn't bring myself to spend the money, because I don't think it's worth it. I'd rather put the money into appearance and comfort items - they are more important to me.

So I think it's a matter of priorities. Where do yours lie??

My $0.02

Old 05-09-2012, 09:57 PM
RK Joy
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by mrfikser
I have a 11 rkc and did a stage one with fuelmoto jackpot mufflers, se ac (from fuel moto) and a pcv....the bike ran a LOT better after the install...big improvement, well worth the money and time (did the work myself)....after that I went to stage 2 with a V&H power duels header and SE255 cams (and a free remap from fuelmoto) and the bike is.....all I can say is I am impressed with the performance boost....if I crack it open at 10 mph it will spin the tire (not to mention standing still)...what I am not impressed with is the gas milage..it went down with the stage one and worse with the stage 2....BUT ...only because I ride it harder now...if I am cruising on the highway it still gets about the same gas milage as it did stock....I say go for it...
I'm likin' it! I think I'll investigate further and decide on whose hardware/software to use but will follow your (and many others) lead and make this a DIY!!

Old 05-09-2012, 10:05 PM
RK Joy
Outstanding HDF Member

Hey, thanks to all of you who chimed in and offered your comments and answers to my questions. Based on the guidance here I have decided that I:

* Will do a Stage 1
* Will NOT rush it & will do my research properly
* Will do it myself

You guys really helped me through the decision process and feel comfortable with the path above. Thanks again!!

Old 05-09-2012, 11:15 PM
FenderGuy53
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RK Joy
Hey, thanks to all of you who chimed in and offered your comments and answers to my questions. Based on the guidance here I have decided that I:

* Will do a Stage 1
* Will NOT rush it & will do my research properly
* Will do it myself

You guys really helped me through the decision process and feel comfortable with the path above. Thanks again!!
I don't think that you'll regret it. Again, slip-on's, a stage 1 air kit and XiED's are very simple installs. Believe me when I tell you. If you go with programmable fuel management, then you're going in a bit deeper, but there's plenty of capable help here!

Good luck.

Old 05-10-2012, 12:47 AM
Sparky73
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry that I'm late to the discussion. Great to hear you've decided to go stage 1 on your own time. I loved my stage one. If you go with new headers too, you'll notice a substantial difference. My Stage 1 ran great with some pop on decel between 2500-3500rpm. Could have tuned that out but I didn't want to detune my bike.

You'll notice a difference in idle, smoothness, etc when you eventually decide to put in a cam. My cam idles a little lower and has a definite lope to it (sounds cool to me). Once I crack the throttle it's as smooth as a sorority girl's......sorry! Of course, pull with the cam will be night and day from what you feel now on the 103. I can't stop smiling when I roll it on in 5th or 6th.

+1 on doing your own wrenching. I've easily saved well over $1,500 in labor by doing my own installs. Paid the dealer's service dept $425 for a 1k service and that was the last penny they got out of me. Found a great HD certified Indy to do my follow on scheduled services for 1/2 price. Bike ran better after his 5k service than it ever did after the dealer service.

Best advice was given earlier: don't rush into your upgrade and think ahead to your final performance mod even if it's a year or two away. Make sure that your stage 1 is compatible with and easily upgradable to the final performance mods. The key component to consider is a tuner. I put the money into a Tmax because I could tune it myself and it autotunes. Just downloaded a new map and ran it after installing cams. If you consider Tmax, do your research on the header because the Tmax comes with (and requires) wideband O2 sensors which are larger than your stock sensors.

Old 05-12-2012, 07:58 AM
RK Joy
Outstanding HDF Member

That's okay Sparky, you're never too late!! Thanks for jumping in here and I enjoyed your comments. I will take this a step at a time, evaluating the results on each step taken before deciding on whether the next step is needed. The main thing, of course, is to enjoy the bike and I sure plan on doing that.

Appointment made for the 1K service. Dealer asked me about doing the A/C and recal. I politely told them no thank you. I'll do it myself with some help from my friends. (HDF!)

Old 05-12-2012, 08:25 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 75,815 Likes on 22,751 Posts

Not to sound cynical, but basically you're wasting your $$$ on the 1000 mile check too, and I for one did not and would not allow the dealer to do it, (completely unnecessary).

If the 1 K check was thrown in w/the purchase then go for it, otherwise pass.

Mostly it just amounts to changing the fluids anyway, and you can do that too very simply in about an hour and a half, or a little less and that's laying on the floor in your garage.

That $$$ spent on the 1 K check can be/would be better spent or put towards the stage 1, in my honest opinion.

Seriously.

Last edited by lionsm13; 05-12-2012 at 08:27 AM.

Quick Reply: Stage 1 or Stage None... Input please?