Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stage 1 or Stage None... Input please?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 10:27 AM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 219 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by dswansbiker
I did the Fuel Moto stage one with 4" Jackpots, FM air cleaner, and Powervision recently on my 2011 RK. I was on the fence also for a year because I was very pleased with the performance stock.

* How do you like the change? Like it. It makes for a nice all around improvement in performance, but although the Jackpots have a nice deep tone and not terribly loud I kind of miss the quieter stock bike, especially on all day rides.

* How does your bike run at slow speed/RPM? Very well. No different from stock

* High speed/RPM? Bike has more guts when passing and feels stronger higher in the rpm range.

* How does it idle after the upgrade? Same as stock

* Did you notice a difference in performance? Yes, noticeable improvement, but not a night and day difference.

* Probably most important: would you spend the money to do it again? No. I like the improved performance, but find the extra exhaust volume tiring during a long day in the saddle. I am not unhappy by any means, but knowing what I know today, I would have left it stock.

Since you have already added Pythons and like the sound my advice is to complete the Stage 1. You will enjoy the added performance.
I know what you mean about the exhaust note. Ive got the Jackpot 3.5" and I wish it was a tad quieter I think its because I removed the catalyst. Ive still got the

Old 05-09-2012, 10:29 AM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 219 Likes on 167 Posts

Sorry bout that....dang smart phones....like I was saying Ive still got the stock pipes and comtemplate putting back in. I really hate spending good money on an exhaust then they not quit make it but I may be asking too much?

Old 05-09-2012, 10:32 AM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Yeah, like these guys said, no need to do it at a service interval, it's easy to do yourself, no need for the dealer download and it's good to do your research, know here you are ultimately headed and plan accordingly. I think all your other questions are answered on how it runs, idles, etc. Me, personally, at a minimum, I do air cleaner, exhaust and tuner instantly for performance and cooling. On the latest bike, I did all that and cams right away. It really is a matter of preference and what you want out of your bike. There are many bone stock rides out there and their riders are very happy with their performance. Some just add pipes for sound, some go for more performance, some go insane and go for it all, it jsut depends on your wants, needs and wallet. The thing to do is research and do it the way you want ....

Old 05-09-2012, 10:40 AM
FenderGuy53
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TUCCI
I know what you mean about the exhaust note. Ive got the Jackpot 3.5" and I wish it was a tad quieter I think its because I removed the catalyst. Ive still got the
Hey, Tucci, I've got the 4" Jackpot's on my SG, with stock headpipe (and intact cat). The stock mufflers actually sounded okay to me, but I wanted a deeper note and a tad more volume.

The Jackpot's were a perfect upgrade for me. They sound awesome while idling, with a nice growl under load, but very quiet while cruising. I hope they don't get too much louder because I really like them just as they are.

Old 05-09-2012, 10:48 AM
FenderGuy53
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by frog13
Me, personally, at a minimum, I do air cleaner, exhaust and tuner instantly for performance and cooling.
+1

I did the Stage 1 for the same reasons, with every bike that I have owned since returning to riding in back in 2002: 2000 Honda Shadow Spirit VT1100C, 1998 Honda Valkyrie Tourer, 2006 Yamaha Road Star, and now my 2011 SG.

As was already mentioned somewhere here on HDForums, the Stage 1 is a bang-for-buck upgrade.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:42 AM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

I bought my '11 RKC in December and am taking my time. Unlike my Sporty, I don't really have any complaints about the way the bike responds or handles. Ultimately, I will probably swap for some SE street legal slipons (I travel through alot of small towns and don't want to have to discuss my pipes with Barney Fife) and a SE air cleaner and do the download (no need for a tuner), but I'm in no hurry. I just had the 7500 mile done on mine.

I don't think there is a downside to a stage 1 like I describe above. It will probably net you a few extra horses and a little more torque. What I have seen on this forum over the years is that those that do more invasive mechanical changes chasing a perceived need for more performance are the guys that end up with issues eventually.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:45 AM
FenderGuy53
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by TKDKurt
I don't think there is a downside to a stage 1 like I describe above. It will probably net you a few extra horses and a little more torque. What I have seen on this forum over the years is that those that do more invasive mechanical changes chasing a perceived need for more performance are the guys that end up with issues eventually.
Amen. Preach it, brother!

Old 05-09-2012, 11:57 AM
WetSider
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 on doing mods yourself if possible. I did V&H mufflers right away, and completed the Stage 1 at 500 mi. Did lots of checking - much excellent info on this forum - before making my decision(s). Probably do cams at some point later on - wallet focused on other things presently. But that's why I decided on a PV tuner vs. Xieds or a vanilla H-D download. After doing the Stage 1 and PV w/ map from Fuel-Moto, I had some popping on decel downhill and during quick upshifts. Sent a note to Jamie at F-M and ping! I had a new map in my in-box that quickly eliminated the popping. Another advantage of the PV was I was able to drop the idle a bit to a level that suited me. Bike behaves very well now, and the V&H slip-ons coupled with a V&H head pipe are not so loud as to bother me around town or at speed. Sometimes miss the volume of the Longshots on my old WG, but the SO is pleased that this bike's quite a bit quieter.

Old 05-09-2012, 12:00 PM
WetSider
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry - one more comment. Replacing the head pipe made a nice difference in right-side heat coming from the cat. During some recent warm days around here it was a noticable improvement over stock w/cat. I ride a lot in E WA as well, and this summer I'm sure to be pleased I don't have that cat to deal with anymore!

Old 05-09-2012, 12:17 PM
mrfikser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

I have a 11 rkc and did a stage one with fuelmoto jackpot mufflers, se ac (from fuel moto) and a pcv....the bike ran a LOT better after the install...big improvement, well worth the money and time (did the work myself)....after that I went to stage 2 with a V&H power duels header and SE255 cams (and a free remap from fuelmoto) and the bike is.....all I can say is I am impressed with the performance boost....if I crack it open at 10 mph it will spin the tire (not to mention standing still)...what I am not impressed with is the gas milage..it went down with the stage one and worse with the stage 2....BUT ...only because I ride it harder now...if I am cruising on the highway it still gets about the same gas milage as it did stock....I say go for it...

Quick Reply: Stage 1 or Stage None... Input please?