Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Indy delivering on time - unreasonable?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 09:05 PM
chucksenough
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Indy delivering on time - unreasonable?

Went over the top on 14 March and had my bike delivered to highly recommended indy that day (although I've never worked with him). Left side needed to be replaced (about 6k worth of damage). Indy gave me a 6-8 week estimate. We've gone back and forth numerous times with the Indy offering me this upgrade or that upgrade (ostensibly as a service, but not hurting his bottom line either).

Well tomorrow is 8 weeks and he gives me a call last week letting me know that they found a couple more parts that need replaced - now we're looking at the end of a month for completion.

So - am I needlessly bent out of shape? I feel like he should've pulled the parts off weeks ago to ensure his original order included all the parts, rather than just what the adjustor said. I do appreciate the attention to detail and the personal service, but I don't feel like I should have to sacrifice getting a job done on time for these attributes.

What say you? Advice? If nothing else, thanks for reading and offering me a place to vent!

Old 05-08-2012, 09:13 PM
RFG7680
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,280 Likes on 733 Posts

We all want our bikes done yesterday. But I've seen more than one bike that the dealership over looked damage and sent the bike out bad... One was a bent frame. That ended up being on his dime to fix after it left the dealer.

So long as its all good and nothing added out of pocket it'll be worth the wait. Be thankful he's double checking things.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:14 PM
Cme2c
Tourer

In a perfect world, everything would be done on time and done right. It's not a perfect world. Settle for done right. In the long run it's worth it.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:56 PM
Bigdad68
Cruiser

I owned an aftermarket shop for years. I never let a vehicle out of my shop less than perfect because the customer wanted fast. Hopefully in your case slow means quality. Sounds like it by his personal touches. Not always does that mean more profit for him either. Time is money.

I get mine back tomorrow after a two week engine build.

Hope we both get quality

Old 05-08-2012, 10:15 PM
Frogprince
Road Captain
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I am one of those that tells my mechanic to kick my bike or car out for that customer who wants it now.

If it runs over it sucks but then again he is paying attention. Get in good with a mechanic and that is a God send. Could have a good ally if you keep your cool. If you get upset he has no reason to be understanding. But if you keep calm he might surprise you. Free little things and etc.

Just my 2cs worth.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:28 PM
chucksenough
Advanced

me thinks I am getting a steep doze of wisdom here - thanks gents

Old 05-09-2012, 07:10 AM
Romingnometx
Advanced

I work with accident repair some at work, and we hardly ever get it back on time, but I always want it done right. Normally they won't tear into it until they have most of the parts in, otherwise they'd have a workspace tied up with a torn down bike for a few weeks waiting on parts. When you go pick it up, bring him a 6-pack and thank him for making sure it was finished before he sent it out.

Old 05-09-2012, 08:53 AM
fxdwg_rugby
Road Master

I would rather it be done right the first time... Be patient...

Old 05-09-2012, 09:00 AM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

All indys I know tell you to drop off the bike and they will get to it when they can (pretty much in order of drop off).
They aren't putting you off, things come up on other builds too and sets the timing back.
I'd say a 6 to 8 week time frame would not be set in stone for a repair job.
I wouldn't like it, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Old 05-09-2012, 09:04 AM
Nabubba
Road Master

Yo never know what may be hiding where an untrained eye like the adjuster didn't look. If the indy was well recommended then he knows his stuff and knows what to look for to make it right. You also have to remember that your bike isn't the only one he has in his shop and like another poster said they don't tear into it until the parts are in so they are not tieing up their workspace.

Quick Reply: Indy delivering on time - unreasonable?