Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How Smart Is This?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 01:47 PM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

I do not think it's wise to take a 3 year old and sit her in front of you and drive around.
You said you were sitting at an intersection, so the stop sign must be there for a reason.

Until she's big enough to sit behind you and hold on by herself, I wouldn't do it. A sudden stop will have her face planted into the gas tank even with her holding your arms. No way for you to grab her either, with one hand on the clutch and one hand on the throttle/brake.

Yes I grew up on a farm and did lots of thing that are unsafe and stupid. Yes I survived and yes I have the scares from cuts and burns to prove it.

Old 05-09-2012, 02:02 PM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Buckinfitch
whew... at least you didn't jump home made ramps with your bicycles.
Or swing on a rope swing ....... OVER WATER!!!!! Infested with ........ bluegills!!!!!!! OMG!

Old 05-09-2012, 02:05 PM
Bcun10t
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Freedom is being able to do what ever you wan as long as it does not impede others someone else freedoms.

Forget all the other pansies. I did allot more crazier activities when I was younger and older.

Old 05-09-2012, 02:31 PM
t-bear
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had my daughter on my bike when she was 5, she would be behind me and fall asleep so I would move her in front of me on the tank and she would sleep there.
That was 25 years ago and things are definitely different now, with society and with me.

My favorite rider today is my granddaughter, she has been riding with me since she was about 7 and she is an excellent rider.

Her grades were dropping a little cause she was not paying attention so I made a deal with her that if she brought her grades up I would pick her up at school in front of her friends on the motorcycle. Her grades jumped up and this Friday I am riding the 2 hours to pick her up at school and take her out for dinner.

This is my sweet granddaughter about a month ago sporting her own pink helmet of course!

Attached Thumbnails How Smart Is This?-dsc03058.jpg  
Old 05-09-2012, 02:46 PM
Sweetbaboo
Road Master

Originally Posted by AnotherBlackSG
Safety ***** and Libtards?? Sorry Friend, it's more like Attorneys and Litigants! THAT'S the drive behind "the pussification of America", if that's what you want to call it. Hell, someone has to protect us from ourselves!
Well crap! I thought I had a quality rant there. I thought I had the "Attorneys and Litigants" covered when I wrote courtrooms. Safety ***** I read in another blog and it struck me as both accurate and hilarious. And, in my warped 1970's damaged mind, the term somehow invoked memories of the scene in The Blues Brothers when they drove the Illinois ***** off of the bridge. I live in Wisconsin, I hate Illinois *****. It also made me think about hijacking this thread....

Last edited by Sweetbaboo; 05-09-2012 at 03:07 PM.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:49 PM
bthinnes
Cruiser

Originally Posted by t-bear
I had my daughter on my bike when she was 5, she would be behind me and fall asleep so I would move her in front of me on the tank and she would sleep there.
That was 25 years ago and things are definitely different now, with society and with me.

My favorite rider today is my granddaughter, she has been riding with me since she was about 7 and she is an excellent rider.

Her grades were dropping a little cause she was not paying attention so I made a deal with her that if she brought her grades up I would pick her up at school in front of her friends on the motorcycle. Her grades jumped up and this Friday I am riding the 2 hours to pick her up at school and take her out for dinner.

This is my sweet granddaughter about a month ago sporting her own pink helmet of course!

That is awsome kool.

I do notice that she has jeans, long sleeves, and a helmet. Just in case because schmitt happens ya know.

We don't have to be candy a$$'s but it don't hurt to use reasonable care. The chance to ride with PAPA on a Harley wearing the safety gear is way cooler than not riding. At least that is what my girls say!

Old 05-09-2012, 02:51 PM
Sweetbaboo
Road Master

Originally Posted by t-bear

Very cool!

Old 05-09-2012, 02:54 PM
Tundra bob
Tourer

Originally Posted by miketami
Parents these days. I have a friend that put a four year old in the back seat of his car with a seat belt and drove at night. Do you have any idea how many accidents there are at night? We just need to use a little sense here people and keep these kids safe! No motorcycles, no traveling above the speed of 35 mph EVER. How will you feel if your child is in a car accident, or worse a yard dart accident.
Keep em hidden, keep em safe thats my moto.
Man oh man, how many holes did I put in the house with those things. The "throw straight up and run like hell" game...I miss those days.

Now we have whiney lil half zombies with their face buried in a cellphone. The thought of reading anything without the words "ur", "LOL" or "nite" is ludicrous, let alone pick up an actual book.
I seriously wish my kids were growing up in the 70's or 80's, at least then they would have half a chance...

Old 05-09-2012, 03:05 PM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Tundra bob
Man oh man, how many holes did I put in the house with those things. The "throw straight up and run like hell" game...I miss those days.

Now we have whiney lil half zombies with their face buried in a cellphone. The thought of reading anything without the words "ur", "LOL" or "nite" is ludicrous, let alone pick up an actual book.
I seriously wish my kids were growing up in the 70's or 80's, at least then they would have half a chance...
WE HAD BOWS AND ARROWS! I shot an arrow straight up in the air and where it lands, OH ****, RUN! Last guy to run was of course the toughest. Ya know, I'm sure there are those out there that have gotten hurt, but growing up is like that falling in love saying, just revised ...... Better to have had fun and gotten hurt than to never have fun at all .............. Like I quoted from another thread earlier, enjoy it now, you'll be dead a long, long time.

Old 05-09-2012, 03:26 PM
XARAN
Stellar HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Buckinfitch
First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they carried us.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes.

Then after that trauma, our baby cribs were covered with bright colored lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking.

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags.

Riding in the back of a pick up on a warm day was always a special treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.

We ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter and drank soda pop with sugar in it, but we weren't overweight because WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day. And we were O.K.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 99 channels on cable, no video tape movies, no surround sound, no cell phones, no personal computers, no Internet or Internet chat rooms..........WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no lawsuits from these accidents.

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

We were given BB guns for our 10th birthdays, made up games with sticks and tennis ***** and although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just walked in and talked to them!

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law!

JUST ADDED: Riding up front with Dad on his motorcycle and a Harley at that!

This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever!

The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.
We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned HOW TO DEAL WITH IT ALL!

You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated our lives for our own good.

And while you are at it, forward it to your kids so they will know how brave their parents were.

Kind of makes you want to run through the house with scissors, doesn't it?
!

Well said! Just about everything has changed in one way or another for me over the past 57 years, but overall it has all worked out and more often for the better. There is way too much and too many people in each others business and worried about living life.

Quick Reply: How Smart Is This?