Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How Smart Is This?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 10:36 AM
sonnlaw
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackPearl#1
Good job Mike, another sane member!!!
Im only 30 but grew up on a farm and trust me a stroll around the block ain't crap. I was cutting hay at 7 in an open station tractor. Not for amusement but mere survival. I also never wore a helmet, rode standing in dads bench seat so I could shift and see, rode in the back of the truck, or side of the hay trailer.
This country is full of wimpy *** kids nowadays and punk *** self riotous know it alls.
And no I still don't wear a helmet or seat belt. That is still MY choice. The man knows what is best for HIS child.
Pc liberal mo fos stfu

Old 05-09-2012, 10:43 AM
bthinnes
Cruiser

I don't think you need to worry about the bike.

My first reaction was similar to others but I know my grandkids love riding on the 4 wheeler and now the two oldest can finally ride a little with dad on his sport bike.
You see in MN you can't ride with anyone on the tank they need to be on the back and they need to be able to reach the foot pegs. Both at the same time:-)

At any rate to the OP I don’t know the situation or the environment. I know as a kid I sure had fun and took a lot of risk. I rode my bicycle all the time with out thought to safety gear back then. Got hurt more that a few times and some of those are not at all fond memories. Needless to say to day safety gear is much more available and life has taught me at least the value of using safety gear to avoid the bad memories while doing the things that make for good ones.

I might ask the group perhaps the ride is not so bad but perhaps though you might consider the questions before ride" OK to ride but you have your long pants and long sleeves on? Where is your bike helmet? Safety first!

That way you have a bonding experience yet still take advantage of a learning moment to teach safety and responsibility to your young daughter.

Old 05-09-2012, 10:45 AM
Dr.ultra2010
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackPearl#1
Good job Mike, another sane member!!!
well said blackpearl.......I agree,all my kids rode on my bikes,they loved it.....

Old 05-09-2012, 10:47 AM
miketami
Cruiser

Parents these days. I have a friend that put a four year old in the back seat of his car with a seat belt and drove at night. Do you have any idea how many accidents there are at night? We just need to use a little sense here people and keep these kids safe! No motorcycles, no traveling above the speed of 35 mph EVER. How will you feel if your child is in a car accident, or worse a yard dart accident.
Keep em hidden, keep em safe thats my moto.

Old 05-09-2012, 10:48 AM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

It is amazing, isn't it, that any of us are here, according to some we should have been gone years ago, victims of our circumstances. Thanks Buckinfitch for the nice reminders of how those who dare to challenge the systems have resulted in many of the things we take for granted today. And thank you Iceman for having the cajones to raise your child to hopefully become one of those who will do great things and change the world, not become one of the sheeple and do "what is best" because someone said so. And thanks to the rest of the guys who responded, this is all a good example of the country we live in!

Attached Thumbnails How Smart Is This?-sheeple.jpg  
Old 05-09-2012, 11:44 AM
IHC67
Tourer

I used to ride my kids around the yard on my Sporty. Until they could reach the pegs behind me, I'd put them in front of me. I'd have them put one foot on the air cleaner, and one on the horn. They could reach the handle bars above the grips.
Good times!
Now they are 14, 16, 20 & 22 and I got a grandson & a granddaughter on the way. My grandson has sat with me on my bike in the garage. And of course grandpop and show him his new Street Glide a couple weeks ago and sit on that. It will be a few years until he can ride with me though.

Old 05-09-2012, 12:44 PM
Twist n Smoke
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Buckinfitch
First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they carried us.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes.

Then after that trauma, our baby cribs were covered with bright colored lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking.

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags.

Riding in the back of a pick up on a warm day was always a special treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.

We ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter and drank soda pop with sugar in it, but we weren't overweight because WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day. And we were O.K.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 99 channels on cable, no video tape movies, no surround sound, no cell phones, no personal computers, no Internet or Internet chat rooms..........WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no lawsuits from these accidents.

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

We were given BB guns for our 10th birthdays, made up games with sticks and tennis ***** and although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just walked in and talked to them!

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law!

JUST ADDED: Riding up front with Dad on his motorcycle and a Harley at that!

This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever!

The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.
We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned HOW TO DEAL WITH IT ALL!

You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated our lives for our own good.

And while you are at it, forward it to your kids so they will know how brave their parents were.

Kind of makes you want to run through the house with scissors, doesn't it?
!

Ahh thank you sir you brought back some great memories I had forgotten about till now.

Old 05-09-2012, 01:02 PM
Sweetbaboo
Road Master

At a young tender age, I got my first ride on an old Meter-Maid's Servi-car and from that moment on I've been infatuated with---Harleys; what wonderful mammaries.
Attachment 249274

I think it's great what you're doing. Don't worry about the bike, it'll be fine. If it's so equipped, just activate the EITMS if it makes you feel any better. And yea, be careful with your daughter; what fond memories she'll have years from now.

This country has become infested with politically correct safety ***** that have ruined too many of the good wholesome fun things that make for a wonderful childhood, especially in the last ten years. The Libtards have weaseled their way into our classrooms and courtrooms and the pussification of America is now upon us. I mean really, if you were a truly bad father you'd be doing something really dangerous and irresponsible like, you know, playin' Jarts with her.

http://youtu.be/N99ee1umzQE

Last edited by Sweetbaboo; 01-18-2013 at 11:05 AM.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:20 PM
AnotherBlackSG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 57 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Sweetbaboo
This country has become infested with politically correct safety ***** that have ruined too many of the good wholesome fun things that make for a wonderful childhood, especially in the last ten years. The Libtards have weaseled their way into our classrooms and courtrooms and the pussification of America is now upon us. I mean really, if you were a truly bad father you'd be doing something really dangerous and irresponsible like, you know, playin' Jarts with her.
Safety ***** and Libtards?? Sorry Friend, it's more like Attorneys and Litigants! THAT'S the drive behind "the pussification of America", if that's what you want to call it. Hell, someone has to protect us from ourselves!

Old 05-09-2012, 01:33 PM
Buckinfitch
Supporter
Received 4,082 Likes on 1,514 Posts

Originally Posted by tx-skydiver
Answer to OP question: No harm for bike.

Daughter: Enjoy your time with her. you did fine and I don't think any less of you for that. Quality time with your kids is a good thing.

I am so sick and tired of this PC world where it is unthinkable for a kid to ride a bicycle without a freakin helmet in his own driveway.

We middle-aged and older folks rode in the backs of pickups...in backseats without seatbelts...in front seats without seatbelts. My grandad had an old mail truck as a delivery vehicle. I rode on a stool that was not bolted down and had to hang on by the dash board. I rode my bicycle without a helmet and did stunts that way too. I ran with scissors and drank sugary drinks as well as out of the water hose. I do not remember the USA losing an extrordinary amount of children to these horrible conditions.

Rant off.
whew... at least you didn't jump home made ramps with your bicycles.

Quick Reply: How Smart Is This?