Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How Smart Is This?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 03:04 AM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I can't believe you would do such a thing!!! You and her both should stay in the house and never leave........The world is a very dangerous place!!!!!! You have set a terrible example for the rest of us you irresponsible motorcycle hoodlum!!!!

Old 05-09-2012, 04:26 AM
jcb1975@yahoo.com
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some of my earliest memories are riding on my dads bike. On the tank when I was ???? And then eventually on the back.

For those that disagree with giving a small child a ride; I don't even know what to tell you without making an *** of myself.

Attached Thumbnails How Smart Is This?-100_1999.jpg   How Smart Is This?-100_2002.jpg  
Old 05-09-2012, 05:52 AM
sgdiesel
Road Warrior

When I read the first bit I thought it was heading towards her melting her new shoes on the engine...that would be too funny and what a mess to clean off.

I shudder to think how miserable my childhood would have been if being exposed to risk was not allowed.

Old 05-09-2012, 06:20 AM
Buckinfitch
Supporter
Received 4,082 Likes on 1,514 Posts

Originally Posted by chucksenough
live your life - I'm sure your daughter loves the heck out of it and it sounds like you have mitigated risk to a reasonable extent... past that, is just life

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they carried us.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes.

Then after that trauma, our baby cribs were covered with bright colored lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking.

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags.

Riding in the back of a pick up on a warm day was always a special treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.

We ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter and drank soda pop with sugar in it, but we weren't overweight because WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day. And we were O.K.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 99 channels on cable, no video tape movies, no surround sound, no cell phones, no personal computers, no Internet or Internet chat rooms..........WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no lawsuits from these accidents.

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

We were given BB guns for our 10th birthdays, made up games with sticks and tennis ***** and although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just walked in and talked to them!

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law!

JUST ADDED: Riding up front with Dad on his motorcycle and a Harley at that!

This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever!

The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.
We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned HOW TO DEAL WITH IT ALL!

You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated our lives for our own good.

And while you are at it, forward it to your kids so they will know how brave their parents were.

Kind of makes you want to run through the house with scissors, doesn't it?
!

Old 05-09-2012, 07:20 AM
BlackPearl#1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 113 Posts

Iceman, I am so proud of you for first off, creating these great memories that she will have and talk about forever and second because you put lots of thought into your original post and your also, very well thought out reply to the nay-sayers. Good job in not starting a pissing match. I agree 100% with Frog and bucinfitch!!! Kinda got a little teared up reading some of those stories from others and I had some of those same experiences, and I am thankful for them. Live a little is a great saying as long as it is done within reason. My son just turned 7 and he and I are riding from home to Milwaukee (few hours of state highway, no interstate) and taking the Ferry across to MI where I grew up. We wear every stitch of protective gear that is available and enjoy the heck out of every minute!!!! I hope for a great memory creating 4 day weekend. As others have stated, time goes by way too fast and it sounds like you are doing a great job of being that dad that other kids are envious of and your daughter absolutely loves spending time with!! Good job man. I am attaching a great pic of my then 6 year old on snowmobile, and yes, we make jumps for him in the yard!!!!
PS no worries on engine at all.
Kris

Attached Thumbnails How Smart Is This?-0115121638a.jpg  

Last edited by BlackPearl#1; 05-09-2012 at 07:23 AM.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:25 AM
kwo51
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 67 Likes on 44 Posts

Back in the 70eds wife and I with a 3 year old would load up in Miami and go on short rides( store, mall ) .She would be asleep very quickly. I have seen a large velcro belt to go around ride and driver for safety.Growing up without risks would have been a drag.Could have passed on he 3 broken bones and the burns or getting shot while hunting.Fell out of a few trees also. I'M a man.

Old 05-09-2012, 09:35 AM
Rock Chalk
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by frog13
Yeah, and recently up here in Wisconsin we had some people standing in their yard talking to their neighbors, about 100 feet from the curb when a drunk woman in her car came over the curb, ran them down in the yard, I believe two of them died. What would you have us do, lock ourselves in our basement? Seriously, life happens, so savor those moments you can enjoy, mitigate the risk until it's acceptable to you and live man, live! Somebody said it best in another thread, enjoy this life, you'll be dead for a long time. I'm ready!
right on brother!!!

Old 05-09-2012, 09:37 AM
Bigdad68
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Buckinfitch
First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they carried us.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes.

Then after that trauma, our baby cribs were covered with bright colored lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking.

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags.

Riding in the back of a pick up on a warm day was always a special treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.

We ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter and drank soda pop with sugar in it, but we weren't overweight because WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day. And we were O.K.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 99 channels on cable, no video tape movies, no surround sound, no cell phones, no personal computers, no Internet or Internet chat rooms..........WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no lawsuits from these accidents.

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

We were given BB guns for our 10th birthdays, made up games with sticks and tennis ***** and although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just walked in and talked to them!

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law!

JUST ADDED: Riding up front with Dad on his motorcycle and a Harley at that!

This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever!

The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.
We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned HOW TO DEAL WITH IT ALL!

You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated our lives for our own good.

And while you are at it, forward it to your kids so they will know how brave their parents were.

Kind of makes you want to run through the house with scissors, doesn't it?
!

Could not have been said better! My best childhood memories are all when risk was involved! That's how we learn. We are raising a pansy generation that can't think or act on their own. Just look at these "occupy" kids!

That is what this bubble generation is becoming.

Old 05-09-2012, 09:45 AM
SG Mike
Road Master

Some of y'all need to relax!

The man took his daughter for a ride which she will ALWAYS remember and y'all bitch about it?

Get a clue and please get a life!

This is exactly what's wrong with this country, too many people with too much time on their hands who want to tell everyone else how to live their lives.

She is NOT your child and surely not your concern so leave the man alone...

Old 05-09-2012, 09:46 AM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hell in the 70's I remember sitting on the handlebars of my uncles bike and screaming down the freeway at high speeds. I was about 6 or 7. Obviously not the smartest thing, but hey I am here today. I would love to putt around the neighborhood with my 5 year old, but he is too scared. I would take my 3 year old who wants to go, but it is illegal here in WA.

Quick Reply: How Smart Is This?