Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what fork oil you guys runnin?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 03:54 PM
OrdieSeniorChief
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I switched to SE Heavy also, less dive, better performance.

Attached Thumbnails what fork oil you guys runnin?-imag0156.jpg  

Last edited by OrdieSeniorChief; 05-08-2012 at 03:59 PM.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:54 PM
dirtracer27x
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like se fork oil it is,was at my local mc shop and they had a big selection of different oils and brands.was overwhelming

Old 05-09-2012, 07:28 AM
fordhd2005
Road Master
Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by frog13
I'm your weight and just changed out my front end to black on my SG. Used the Screamin' Eagle Heavy Duty and it made a lot of difference in a positive way, not sure why you would want to mix it with standard but maybe someone has a reason. They also have a heavier racing fluid, not sure how that would be.
Because if you do any rides on roads that are other than straight and smooth you will find that the front suspension isn't as responsive, especially in curves that are not perfectly smooth. I speak from experience and other people's opinion will vary based off of their own setups and riding styles. Good thing it's fairly easy to change...

Old 05-09-2012, 08:10 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by fordhd2005
Do a 50/50 mix with the standard and screamin eagle fork oils. You should find that you will have less diving and tighter handling.
Mixing Type E and SE Heavy is also my current choice and it works well. Be sure to buy the SE Heavy (#99881-87), not the SE Racing (Extra Heavy) variety. I used SEH for my first change and it was fine, firm but not harsh, but after trying the mix I feel it has all the good qualities of the SEH (no bottoming, good control) with a less-firm ride.

BTW, for those of you contemplating a fork-oil change, here's a write-up on doing it in about an hour. This is page 3 of the thread that started out as a question, so scroll down to Post #23 for the tutorial. I just did my third change a couple of months ago.

Last edited by iclick; 05-09-2012 at 08:14 AM.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:27 AM
sealdoggy04
Cruiser

On my Roadglide I recently changed out my sliders to chrome , I put SE back in it, big mistake for me, the front end now feels every nook and cranny in the road.
It may just be me but I purchased my Roadglide for it's smooth ride now it rides like a mack truck.....lol.
I have Ohlins in the rear, the SE oil in the front makes the whole bike feel harsh to me now, my son did the same thing we're changing it back to the type E this weekend, he's not too thrilled with the stiff ride either.

Old 05-09-2012, 09:17 AM
ultrapacman
Cruiser

I switched to Lucas 15w synthetic but I think it's a little too stiff. I am going to back it down to Lucas 10w syn. next change. FWIW my shock oil gets changed every year.

Old 05-09-2012, 09:24 AM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I dispensed with all of the HD "Standard, Heavy, Extra Heavy, SE, Type E' BS in favor of numeric calibrations used by nearly every other fork oil manufacturer.
Poured some good old 15 wt. BelRay fork oil in my '06 SG and my dive issue was eliminated - along with that stinky old fish oil put in buy the factory. Man, that factory stuff is nasty. The bike resonded immediately with better ride qualities.
I've also used Maxima and Spectro wit equal results.
Oh, and they usually cost less than the HD stuff.

Old 05-09-2012, 01:01 PM
Mntsnow
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I switched out to Bel-Ray 15wt fork oil and I ride solo 99% of the time with a tourpak in the Solo position 60% of the time and I am going to go to a 50/50 or 60/40 mix of Bel-Ray 10wt & 15wt as straight 15wt is a bit to harsh but totally got rid of my dive at braking. The aftermarket fork oils are much less expensive than the HD branded oil and the SEHeavy is about a 15w and E is about a 10w and B is supposedly like a 5w

Old 05-24-2012, 11:45 AM
Tee Bagger
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What weight is the factory stuff in a 2011 flhx. I am only 175 lbs and would like a smoother ride in the front....lighter oil??

Old 05-24-2012, 12:09 PM
bmaier
Road Warrior
Received 95 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Leftcoaster
I dispensed with all of the HD "Standard, Heavy, Extra Heavy, SE, Type E' BS in favor of numeric calibrations used by nearly every other fork oil manufacturer.
Poured some good old 15 wt. BelRay fork oil in my '06 SG and my dive issue was eliminated - along with that stinky old fish oil put in buy the factory. Man, that factory stuff is nasty. The bike resonded immediately with better ride qualities.
I've also used Maxima and Spectro wit equal results.
Oh, and they usually cost less than the HD stuff.
I went with the Maxima 10wt fork oil, decreased dive under heavy front braking but still plenty plush responsive action. Going too heavy will cause slow rebound and compression damping resulting in harshness.

Quick Reply: what fork oil you guys runnin?