Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Painting slip on and heat shield

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 04:14 PM
Bcun10t
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting slip on and heat shield

I saw project cheap skate thread and got motivated.. I just purchased SE slip on for my 2010 black denim SG for under $70 bucks to include shipping.

Now all I need is a cheap intake. ie. SE back plate and air filter with hardware. I think the cheapest I’ve seen was $126 new. also probably be purchasing fairing air deflectors.

I am thinking of trying to paint the heat shields and the slip on black..

Any suggestions? I know high temp paint. any suggestions on brand of paint and the process of sanding / painting.

So far
$ 25 weld muffler after CAT removed
$ 40 Hawg wings (includes shipping)
$ 65.39 SE slip on (includes shipping)
$ free (left over from truck) painted lids of saddle bags and bottom of bags with Black bed liner, no more scratches
$ 40 back rest good for the long rides
$ Lrs wind shield
$ High way pegs

Last edited by Bcun10t; 05-08-2012 at 10:15 PM.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:00 PM
Bill03E
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I would try VHT flame proof manifold paint, if the slip-ons are chrome you are going to have to strip it off, or at least sand blast it so the paint will stick.

Old 05-07-2012, 05:35 PM
METALKAT
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I powder coated my shields and slip-ons but my headers I hand sanded and painted them with BBQ paint from Home Depot (think it was Rust-oleum), held up real well. Only reason I took them off was because I bought Dresser Duals.

Old 05-07-2012, 06:08 PM
Bcun10t
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bill03E
I would try VHT flame proof manifold paint, if the slip-ons are chrome you are going to have to strip it off, or at least sand blast it so the paint will stick.
Thats what I was thinking, (sanding off the chrome than painting) I did not know they made manifold paint. Where can you get that? Auto part store? I know I have seen Bar-b-q and high heat paint..

Old 05-07-2012, 06:14 PM
Bcun10t
Advanced

Originally Posted by METALKAT
I powder coated my shields and slip-ons but my headers I hand sanded and painted them with BBQ paint from Home Depot (think it was Rust-oleum), held up real well. Only reason I took them off was because I bought Dresser Duals.
BBQ paint was in my thought process. I was thinking of keeping 2-1 exhaust, besides its cheaper that way..

I cut the CAT out last week and it really did not make much difference except it feels like there is less heat. Surprised me how quiet it still was do to the thickness that CAT was, does not even look like air can get through there hardly.

Old 05-07-2012, 08:35 PM
Bill03E
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Bcun10t
Thats what I was thinking, (sanding off the chrome than painting) I did not know they made manifold paint. Where can you get that? Auto part store? I know I have seen Bar-b-q and high heat paint..
We have a place here called racer parts wholesale that has it, you can also buy it on Amazon.com.

Old 05-08-2012, 06:37 AM
METALKAT
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bcun10t
BBQ paint was in my thought process. I was thinking of keeping 2-1 exhaust, besides its cheaper that way..

I cut the CAT out last week and it really did not make much difference except it feels like there is less heat. Surprised me how quiet it still was do to the thickness that CAT was, does not even look like air can get through there hardly.
My 2009 had the catless pipe and stock slip-ons. I tried different slip-ons but couldn't get any rumble without changing the header too.

Old 05-08-2012, 12:58 PM
Bcun10t
Advanced

Originally Posted by METALKAT
My 2009 had the catless pipe and stock slip-ons. I tried different slip-ons but couldn't get any rumble without changing the header too.
I here ya, maybe down the road ill change the header pipe, if I get a good deal on one.

Old 05-08-2012, 01:28 PM
longrideshields-1
Premium Sponsor
Received 75 Likes on 47 Posts

X 2 on the VHT Flameproof paint, pretty good stuff

General Inquiries:
Info@LongRideShields.com
Sales and Marketing:
Sales@LongRideShields.com
Phone:

Old 05-08-2012, 10:16 PM
Bcun10t
Advanced

I think I am going to try and primer first. Also friend said to bake them if I can before I install them.

Quick Reply: Painting slip on and heat shield