Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

remove muffler packing, how does it affect sound

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 11:28 PM
DeneFXDWG
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts
Default remove muffler packing, how does it affect sound

If I'm not happy with the sound of my bagger, (Rush TD, Jackpot 4" (2" baffles), what would change if I tried a simple mod and removed the pillow packing wrapped around both baffles? It is ear shattering at highway speeds and I'd like it quieter and deeper, basically. Thanks

Old 05-06-2012, 11:36 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 396 Likes on 338 Posts

the packing absorbs sound- so it would be louder, mostly in the higher frequencies.

2.) supertrapp's techs suggest that removing packing from a muffler can allow the gasses to slow and change direction, eddy etc. resulting in lost performance.

and speaking of supertrapp, the sound is adjustable if you get the supermeg muffler with the disk tuning system.
or the S/E nightstick and fatshots can be tuned just by replacing the "security screw" and changing the endcaps and number of discs, they are made for S/E by supertrapp

loud or quiet, your choice

Mike

Old 05-07-2012, 09:24 AM
DeneFXDWG
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by mkguitar
the packing absorbs sound- so it would be louder, mostly in the higher frequencies.

2.) supertrapp's techs suggest that removing packing from a muffler can allow the gasses to slow and change direction, eddy etc. resulting in lost performance.

and speaking of supertrapp, the sound is adjustable if you get the supermeg muffler with the disk tuning system.
or the S/E nightstick and fatshots can be tuned just by replacing the "security screw" and changing the endcaps and number of discs, they are made for S/E by supertrapp

loud or quiet, your choice

Mike
Thanks again for your input Mike. Sounds like Supertrapp or the Fatshots might be in the works for next season. Time to retire Little Thunder and insure the Goldwing, haha. Nobody can give me a definitive answer on what stock mufflers that came off a bagger are symetrical, (flow the same), because in my mind, with my cams and true duals, I think the tone will be just where I want it.

Old 05-08-2012, 12:35 AM
ke5rbd
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by DeneFXDWG
Thanks again for your input Mike. Sounds like Supertrapp or the Fatshots might be in the works for next season. Time to retire Little Thunder and insure the Goldwing, haha. Nobody can give me a definitive answer on what stock mufflers that came off a bagger are symetrical, (flow the same), because in my mind, with my cams and true duals, I think the tone will be just where I want it.
If I am reading correctly you also want to know about the muffler flow rates. The 2008 and older baggers had non-symmetrical flow. 2009 and up are symmetrical as they don't have the y pipe on the rear cylinder. After market true duals on earlier models had symmetrical flow.

Old 05-08-2012, 12:46 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 396 Likes on 338 Posts

Dene,

Used nightsticks and fatshots show up on the classifieds cheap, I paid $200 for my nightsticks, which I used to replace my 10 year old supermegs as I had more baggers than pipes for awhile.

just takes a few tools and some ebay discs/endcaps to tune them. with true dual headers you probably want a closed end cap and 10 discs each, then try 12 , then try 8.

which works best..if 12 try 14, if 8 try 6

that'll help you zero in on the correct tuning- you might be able to get some torque happening

mike

Old 05-08-2012, 03:57 AM
akjeff
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For starters, Jackpot mufflers are probably not the best choice for true dual head pipes. They are made for factory headers and/or 2/1/2 headers, not true duals. The baffles in the left muffler are more restrictive than the right, and act more like a 2/1 exhaust system. Seems like they would run like **** with true duals.

Jeff

Old 05-08-2012, 05:43 AM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

If you want to run true duals, you might want to take a look at MSG pipes. Pretty impressive.

http://www.mgscustombikes.com/mgs-exhaust/true-duals/

Old 05-08-2012, 08:46 AM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

I am also a Supertrapp fan and just picked up some like new SE Fatshotz on Ebay for my '09 FLHT. Really like them plus they are EPA legal! I'm pretty sure the stock mufflers on the newer touring bikes with a CAT are less restrictive than the older ones. The CAT separates the sound waves requiring less sound absorption in the mufflers = more flow.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:27 AM
DeneFXDWG
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by mkguitar
Dene,

Used nightsticks and fatshots show up on the classifieds cheap, I paid $200 for my nightsticks, which I used to replace my 10 year old supermegs as I had more baggers than pipes for awhile.

just takes a few tools and some ebay discs/endcaps to tune them. with true dual headers you probably want a closed end cap and 10 discs each, then try 12 , then try 8.

which works best..if 12 try 14, if 8 try 6

that'll help you zero in on the correct tuning- you might be able to get some torque happening

mike
Thanks Mike I really appreciate this help your offering. I might put out a WTB message and see what pops up. What's the diff between Fatshotz and Nightstick? They seem the same on the HD site. It's too bad Fuel Moto doesn't make a 1.75 baffle for my Jackpots.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:32 AM
DeneFXDWG
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by akjeff
For starters, Jackpot mufflers are probably not the best choice for true dual head pipes. They are made for factory headers and/or 2/1/2 headers, not true duals. The baffles in the left muffler are more restrictive than the right, and act more like a 2/1 exhaust system. Seems like they would run like **** with true duals.

Jeff
The performance is pretty good Jeff, there probably are better out there I admit. The left baffle with the cone was changed out before the dyno tune so now they are identical but sound horrible. They sounded excellent with the stock header and cat last year, simply fantastic!

Quick Reply: remove muffler packing, how does it affect sound