Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PBR300x2 Cutting Off -- Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 09:57 PM
murph
Elite HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
Default PBR300x2 Cutting Off -- Please Help

I'm asking for some help with my Rockford Fosgate PBR300x2 amp. I was riding today and the amp started to clip. Sound would go off and come back on with in a few seconds. It did this a couple of times towards the end of the day. It would clipped a few times and then work for awhile with no problems. Clip again and then work for awhile with no problems. When I started riding this morning, there were no problems. It was hot today. The temp gauge on my SG read over a 100. I'm not sure where it was taking it's readings. Anyways, the amp finally stopped working all together. No sound at all coming through the speakers. I tried turning off the bike, but nothing.

I rode it home and let it sit for awhile. I took out the 30 amp fuse for the power to the amp. When I put it back in the stereo worked great. I'm still worried this will happen again. Anyone have any words of wisdom. I hope this is an isolated incident. Should I call Sonic Electronix or Rockford with this problem or wait to see if it does it again? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advanced.

Old 05-06-2012, 10:28 PM
CC Rainman
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It sounds like the amp was overheating. When the amp gets too hot it shuts down o protect the circuits. My Arc use to do that. I turned my gain down in my Arc and it solved the problem. Trying turning the gain down slightly and see what happens.

Old 05-06-2012, 10:31 PM
pittz5
Road Warrior
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

What speakers are you running, are they 4 ohm? Whats your gain set at? Kinda sounds like its getting hot but who knows. Id check ground wire and the remote power wire alone with the rest of the wiring..lol Calling RF or your vender wouldnt hurt, maybe they have some ideas. Ive got the 4 channel RF and so far havent had any issues. Good luck

Old 05-06-2012, 10:45 PM
CHILLLS
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im running the same amp & at 2ohms. my gain is just off the bottom & its loud as F%!K. mine will sometimes clip as well but it doesnt matter what the temp it is outside when it happens. iv had it clip at 45* out side a couple minuts after i turned it on & then iv had it take a long time to do it. it really depends on the song & how far up the volume is. i still need to turn my gain all the way down next time i have the fairing back off & im sure that will take care of it for me.

are you using the high level inputs or the low level (rca) inputs?
the high level is the way to go & it sounds way better.

hope this helps you out

Old 05-07-2012, 10:14 AM
murph
Elite HDF Member

Thanks for the input so far. I am running mm651s and no remote wire. No RCAs either. 10 gauge wire to the battery with a 30 amp fuse at the battery end. 10 guage ground screwed to the triple trees where there are already ground wires mounted. I had the gain down to three, but it was not loud enough. It is presently set just above 5 and was working great. All connection have been soldered and heat shrinked.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:31 AM
dbell66253
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You might want to turn your gain down just a tad, also where is your amp mounted? And make sure the connections are secure, they will cause the clipping problem also, but I agree with the other post, sounds like you are definetly overheating it.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:33 AM
longrideshields-1
Premium Sponsor
Received 86 Likes on 50 Posts

Definitely sounds like a wiring,/ installation prob. Wiggle those cables and make sure its not more than just the fuse.

General Inquiries:
Info@LongRideShields.com
Sales and Marketing:
Sales@LongRideShields.com
Phone:

Old 05-07-2012, 01:13 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

It may be a defective amp. One thing to check is to pull the outer fairing and confirm that the amp turns off when the ignition is off. I had one of the early production 300x4 that did not and was almost hot to the touch when turned on. So, with the fairing off, play music and see if the amp gets hot to the touch.

When you call RF Customer Service, ask for Forrest.

Carl

Old 05-07-2012, 01:20 PM
murph
Elite HDF Member

connection are all good. amp is mounted on top of the stereo with small spacers to keep the amp off of the radio about 1 inch. No, it turns off when ignition is off. Already checked. I can not turn down the gain because I can not hear it below 3. I have to have the volume all the way up. and no rca. it all soldered wires. solid connections.

I talked to Rico for RF tech support. he thinks the potentiometer may be bad because when I first installed it, the gain was at three and I could not turn the volume up passed 3, now it has to be up above five and I still run 3/4 volume. I hope Sonix Electronix doesn't give me a hard time exchanging it.

This amp worked for about three weeks without cutting out. I still had to have the gain up above 5 though. It all started when I adjusted the gain on the amp.

Last edited by murph; 05-07-2012 at 01:23 PM.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:32 PM
2manytoys
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

It could be your Polks causing it. The MM series are 2.7 ohm. The amp is rated at 4 ohm only.

Quick Reply: PBR300x2 Cutting Off -- Please Help